Prestige593

Mini desktop laser, any advice?

On 12/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, Halitech said:

I've used PNG, GIF and JPG with mine. STL are generally for 3D printers as far as I've heard

Well it looks like a good way to get started with some laser engraving.  I take it that it works off of a picture?

2 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Well it looks like a good way to get started with some laser engraving.  I take it that it works off of a picture?

Those are formats used for images yes but you can use letters in an image as well. This is a logo I create for my son who is a member of his schools unified basketball team

ckrhs_shield.png

IMG_20190228_224422a.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 2:44 AM, Prestige593 said:

IMG_0431.thumb.jpg.45bb902185c747e5670072236d53afe5.jpg

Got the software somewhat figured out. Just a lot of trial and error. There is still no explanation of any the settings. 

How you are able to make the black burnt part of engraving so dark? Do you applying anything over on leather after engraving?

Prestige 593 I would NOT buy a Glowforge you need to be connected to the internet for it to work. I had a 40 watt CO-2 laser (Chinese brand ) for $ 325.00 and it worked well except for cutting. I upgraded to a 80 watt CO-2 laser (Chinese brand ) for $ 2019.00 and I just cut 9 oz veg tan leather at about 1//2 power! I am learning Lightburn now and it seems to be a GREAT program.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:46 PM, Prestige593 said:

Just got this mini desktop laser (purchased on Amazon). It has a working area of 3"X3". Just got it to mess around with before considering spending $3K on a Glowforge. Any advice? I will be using a Mac. Thanks

MiniLaser.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these exact lasers. How has it been going?

I think there are better deals out there I have a 30x18cm  cnc with a laser head I started with and mover up to a 50x65 cm laser engraver you have to assemble them yourself but definetly the possibilities are endless. I am currently using a 3500 mw laser and it is plenty for leather work. There is a learning curve but once you get the hang its am amazing tool.

19 hours ago, Somiskid said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these exact lasers. How has it been going?

I've retired mine. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but I got a bigger faster and more powerful machine. I didn't go crazy, I just went with the 2 legged free arm machine with a 5.5W laser with an almost 7"x8" burn area. I have a logo I burn regularly and my burn time decreased from 35 minutes to 4:15. Haven't tried it yet with cutting.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:13 AM, Halitech said:

I've retired mine. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but I got a bigger faster and more powerful machine. I didn't go crazy, I just went with the 2 legged free arm machine with a 5.5W laser with an almost 7"x8" burn area. I have a logo I burn regularly and my burn time decreased from 35 minutes to 4:15. Haven't tried it yet with cutting.

Do you have a link for the new one? Is the old one for sale lol????

4 hours ago, Somiskid said:

Do you have a link for the new one? Is the old one for sale lol????

Similar to this one

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/110V-3500MW-DIY-Laser-Engraver-Cutter-Cutting-Machine-Printer-210-170mm/192437293179?hash=item2cce28107b:g:apIAAOSwLs9aaE4f

But the seller I got it from was a lot cheaper and had a 5.5W laser

ummm not really lol I'd like to keep it just in case ;)

I got a 80 watt laser it cuts 10 oz.  leather easy. I sold my clicker ( it was manual and weighted 100 lbs,small work area so had move it when I wanted to use it), sold my steel rule die bender ( also heavy) and my Tandy foiler, the laser is much easier and better to use! It takes a little while to set things up but  when you do get them set up it is much easier and accurate! 

Would love to know more on this - we REALLY want to be able to just put initials/logos/monograms/etc. The sheer volume of letters, setups and info is staggering.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Annie977 said:

we REALLY want to be able to just put initials/logos/monograms/etc.

You will want to keep in mind that to engrave, the laser burns off the top layer of leather, and the results are not always very durable. I had stars in my eyes when I bought my 100 watt laser cutter, but have had to dial back my ambition due to the vulnerability of the engraving. It looks good, but does no wear well. And the look is always dark due to the burning process, but then that can look pretty good.

04-Small.jpg

On 5/31/2020 at 8:40 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

You will want to keep in mind that to engrave, the laser burns off the top layer of leather, and the results are not always very durable. I had stars in my eyes when I bought my 100 watt laser cutter, but have had to dial back my ambition due to the vulnerability of the engraving. It looks good, but does no wear well. And the look is always dark due to the burning process, but then that can look pretty good.

04-Small.jpg

Would love to see some examples of laser engraved leather that's been in use (like a wallet) for a while. We often treasure patina - but would those lines in your image above hold up, or would they wind up looking like a WWII sailor's tattoo? (Yeah, it used to be a beauty sitting on an anchor - now it's just a dark blob lol)

1 hour ago, JHLeatherwood said:

but would those lines in your image above hold up, or would they wind up looking like a WWII sailor's tattoo?

They are fragile and would certainly be compromised through daily use.

Conditioned and sealed with a couple of layers of Resolene may give it a longer life, depending on use, plus you can engrave deeper, I think most low watt lasers can go quite deep without having to refocus the lens, but always a spin off on how much experimental time you spend on embossing with the laser

On 9/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, chrisash said:

Conditioned and sealed with a couple of layers of Resolene may give it a longer life, depending on use, plus you can engrave deeper, I think most low watt lasers can go quite deep without having to refocus the lens, but always a spin off on how much experimental time you spend on embossing with the laser

Going deeper will weaken the leather more ( it burns away the grain ) You only want to mark it.

what ever you do don't buy a glowforge, there way over priced and are basicly junk.

Old Post I know  but ,Some here are saying engraving the leather will weaken it. This may be true if your engraving very thin leather, but if your engraving 4oz or more veg tan leather , engraving is not gonna really be a factor in its strength for most applications, like Holsters, wallets , bike seats what ever.

Someone wanted pictures of a used wallet. This is one I did about 5 years ago, Its in my pocket everyday. As you can see its well worn, but the engraving even the fine lines still show up very well and I'm sure will continue to do so.

My Wallet Back.jpg

My Wallet Frt.jpg