Sign in to follow this  
mircea163

Singer 133k or 29k

Hi. I am new to sewing, i've only ever hand sewn, actually, and i'm looking into getting a sewing machine. I have been reeding the forum for a while, but i never registered until now.

I will be sewing a maximum of 12 mm veg tan leather, quite rarely, but mostly it would be a max of 6 mm. I would like to get an older machine, as i do enjoy taking machines apart and caring for them, i would also like something robust.

I am considering either a Singer 133k (8 or 17), or a 29k. Ideally, i would get the 133k, but it's quite rare around here, and very few people can ship one from further away. I have, however, found a 29k that is relatively close by. A further problem is, i have never actually seen either of these machines, so all i know about them is what i read. A treadle table would also be good, but i can find those easily enough. Alternatively, i can build a table and get a motor, if i decide to go this route, so i only, really, need the machine itself.

My questions are :

1. Should i wait for a 133k, or can the 29k handle 12 mm ?

2. The 29k is about 250 euros with a treadle table, is that too much ? Seller says it's working fine.

3. How much should i pay for a decent, working, 133k8 or 133k17 ?

4. Would you recommend i looked for something else ?

Forget about the 29k for anything over about 6 or 7 mm. It is also best used with thin thread, like T70 or T90. It is a light duty patching machine used to darn rips in boots, or sew patches onto Biker vests. Also, the bobbins are either tiny or small, depending on the model. If you tell us the fuil model number we can tell you which size bobbin it takes. Example: 29-4, 29k71, 29k72, 29k172, etc.

The ancient Singer 132 machines have a spring loaded jump foot that can simply slide on the top layer if it is too slick. If that happens you have to rely upon the feed dog to advance the leather. They are actually meant to sew buffing wheels and car wash cloths.

Singer 29K in best case have a 5mm stitch length but rather expect 3-4mm. These are repair machines and not really production machines. If you do repairs on shoes or bag or other items they are very handy to have. Funny machine for sewing smaller odds and ends and nick nacks but forget this machine for serious leather work.

133K8 / 17 machines I would consider as heavy upholstery type machines. However Singer describes them in their parts list as suitable for "general leather work" - what ever that means. I would say plain or flat leather work. These machines have a very large capacity rotary hook and can handle quite thick thread and needles (but depends how they are set up). Availability of presser feet for this machine is quite limited. The majority of feet you find are just piping feet.

I have a 132K6 (flat bed version of the 133K8) and I can get 12mm materiel under the foot w/o problems but I have not sewn 12mm leather with it but I have sewn 12mm felt. The 133K / 132K have a rather lightweight hand wheel considering the overall size of the machine. Machines like Singer 45K have a much much heavier hand wheel = more punching power due to the rotating mass. So if you need a good punching power you probably have to add a speed reducer and servo motor with small pulley if you want do heavy leather work with heavy thread and thick needles. Also - this machine has no reverse (if that matters). Parts situation is very good because SEIKO SK-2B and Mitsubishi DY253 are very similar machines and are still in production. Both are flat bed machines but share a lot of head parts with the 132K8 cylinder arm machine.

Best advise always is to test the machine before you buy it especially when you do not have much experience with sewing machines.

Edited by Constabulary