Bulldogger

New to me Pfaff 1245 feeds backwards

Hello all.  I'm new to having a leather sewing machine and new to Pfaff mechanisms. I do ok with my Singer 519 but I'm stumped with this older 1245 Pfaff (706/47).

After following the service manual guidance for calibration I was nearly finished when I realized the feed dog and vibrating foot are moving backwards. I am sure I'm rotating the balance wheel correctly (towards me like most machines) since the bobbin assembly is clearly rotating correctly. 

If I push the reverse lever upwards the machine feeds forwards, which is good I guess (it "reverses") but no less confusing. The machine was old and sitting in a shed a long time. I took off external fittings for rust removal, but none of the main mechanisms or lever arms, and dosed her well with kerosene. After a while she started moving freely and now turns over fine. 

It is very possible (and my working theory) that attempts by me and previous acquaintances to turn it over while half frozen caused an internal timing error. Unfortunately the service manuals I've found online are not assembly manuals, they assume a working machine only in need of calibration, more or less. 

Has anyone else seen or heard of this and can you offer any advice where to look please? There is a service center near me, if I fail in my attempts, but I've spoken with them in the past and was rubbed the wrong way. I'll take it there if I must but hope I can DIY this. 

Thanks in advance. 

Alex

Any chance the reverse lever has lost a spring or something like that, so it has fallen to reverse position?

is it just feeding or is it permanently sewing backwards? If it is just feeding backwards and the stitch length lever is in correct forward position it could be a motor failure.

Are the upper and lower shafts synchronized?  In other words do the timing arrows align under the machine?

This is a common problem, and should be pretty easy to sort out.

Gunnarson, the reverse mechanism appears intact, and it reverses the direction, just that it’s backwards 

Constabulary, I don’t have it on a motor yet, I’m turning it by hand so not a motor problem. The stitch length lever is positioned correctly. 

Pintodeluxe, where are these timing marks please? That sounds like a distinct possibility. 

Lastly jere are a couple of photos, in case they help. 

Bulldogger

B970D1BB-6F2F-45FD-9512-E24F469E6FDA.jpeg

512EFFB2-DBB3-4F12-B598-9C46D86F12CC.jpeg

Nice looking Pfaff.  Wow that thing is clean.  If you don't have a paper manual, pull it up online.  I think it shows the timing arrows in the manual.  It's been a long time since I had a 1245, but most machines have some sort of synchronization arrows under the machine head, to the right of center.  Turn the handwheel toward you until you see an arrow.  It should come into alignment with a second arrow.  If it doesn't, the internal timing belt was probably installed incorrectly, ie: like 180 degrees out of phase.

Edited by Pintodeluxe

Thanks pintodeluxe, I'll go look. I don't recall any timing marks in the manuals I found but I didn't look on the shafts for arrows so I will

Bulldogger

I cannot find anything that look like timing marks or arrows on the shafts underneath or on the pulleys. My manuals do not include instructions on replacing the internal drive belt or timing the pulleys... I will search for more manuals. Most manuals online are for newer machines not mine. 

Bulldogger

Edited by Bulldogger

Sounds like the feed eccentric is 180 degrees out. No timing marks underneath a 1245.  Can you upload a quick video of the machine being turned by hand so we can see the feet and feed dog in action?

glenn

Thank you shoepatcher, you were typing this while I was sweating in the garage one more time through the calibration steps. The "lifting eccentric" for the vibrating presser foot was indeed way off! This was the most rusted part in the machine. I found acorns in the recess in fact. I think a mouse had been living inside at one time. Some bravery with a gentle punch freed up the eccentric and allowed me to observe its effects. Once I brought it noticeably far around the shaft the vibrating presser foot reversed its motion and the feed dog obliged. 

I then recompleted the entire calibration order to realign everything. It appears ready to mount to a table and motor. I had a stiff piece of 1/8 leather next to me on the workbench, which I use as vise jaw pads, and I hand stitched a nice long bead of holes in it. (Didn't have thread or bobbin handy)

Next I will mount it and perform the thread tension and alignment steps and see how it will stitch. 

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Bulldogger

One last issue, the dreaded “mystery leftover” part...

It doesn’t appear in any of the photos I took prior to cleaning and calibrating the machine. 

Part number stamped on it is  176332 

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Bulldogger

85D1905F-BF8B-4A56-8E42-924173972391.jpeg

Part is  number 91-176 332-25

attached is parts list ( pdf ) with diagrams for your model..diagram is on page 12 towards the bottom..

from the take up spring assembly on the front of the machine..AFAICT

HTH :)

6mdl64b0.pdf

part number.jpeg

Edited by mikesc

Super! Thanks mikesc, it does look like part of the tensioning and take up assembly. 

Bulldogger

I think that bracket is to control the travel of your check spring.

14 hours ago, Bulldogger said:

After following the service manual guidance for calibration I was nearly finished when I realized the feed dog and vibrating foot are moving backwards

This sounds very strange and I don´t know what a Singer 519 is so just to clarify:

Moving backwards in your case means the material is feeding towards you when the lever is down and you turn the hand wheel towards you and it is feeding away from you when the lever is up and you turn the hand wheel towards you. Is this what happens? I know question may sound stupid but you never know...

Constabulary, that is what was happening. It was very odd. It seems ok now that I moved the feeding eccentric for the vibrating presser foot about 100 degrees on its shaft. I will connect the motor this week and test the stitching abilities.

I incorrectly noted my Singer model, it is a 591D200A. 

Bulldogger

16 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Sounds like the feed eccentric is 180 degrees out. No timing marks underneath a 1245.  Can you upload a quick video of the machine being turned by hand so we can see the feet and feed dog in action?

glenn

Pfaff1245OwnersPages.thumb.jpg.e3a1881cf1ed000894c1f2c9c8ebee5c.jpg

Thank-you Gregg.  That calibration step was challenging, as the feed dog never wanted to sit still as indicated.  Once I got the vibrating foot set correctly, the step you show was easier to get right.

Here is the step that I had very miscalibrated.  The eccentric, number 2 on the figure, was spun on its shaft and very out of cal.

Bulldogger

IMG_2107.jpg

I just acquired a Pfaff 1245 that is probably 50 years old and I am having the same problem with the machine going backwards with the reverse lever down and forward with it up.  Can someone help me understand what I need to do to fix this.  I could not follow the thread to understand where the problem is.

Thanks, Hill Country Gal