SilverForgeStudio

Looking for what needle to use

I have been given a roll of seat belt material... and I want to use it for some keepers (Tool holders) or straps for a few projects.

In order to do this I need to sew it to itself on the ends- what needle do I use?  I do not have experience with this. I realize a "Bar tacking" machine would do it- dont have one of those...

These will not  see heavy loads or tactical use- I was going to "Buttonhole" stitch 3 times across the overlap area with a couple of vertical button hole stitches in the middle ( Think -|-|-  for a visual)

Im thinking as this material is woven nylon I would not want to use a sharp needle as it would cut more fibers- So use a blunt needle and power through it? 

5 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

So use a blunt needle and power through it

Consider using a tapestry needle... blunt tip, big eye for big thread.

Seat belt material is a very tight weave.  Suggest a regular conical point needle.  You'll never get a blunt tip through unless you use an awl to make a large hole first.  Don't use triangular point glover's needles.

Tom

Thank you both- I will be doing this on an older singer domestic. 

I have both tapestry and conical point (thanks mom for giving me all the sewing room stuff)... so Im going to see how this affair goes- may be a fail- maybe not. I hope to post pics