katit

138W102 adjustments/questions

To be precise it's about 138WSV102HP, but it shouldn't matter much for adjustments.

After thorough cleanup I found that machine is out of adjustment. At least needle bar is not in tune as needle wants to hit about 1/2 in front of feed dog holes. I decided to start from beginning.

Couple questions came up right away:

1. Belt is 1/3 off. It's on good on top, but in a bottom it want's to stay off. Any idea/suggestion on why and how to fix? 

2. Alignment mark on bottom shaft is not present. Picture shows where I have eye at the top and I see only faint mark on a collar kind of corresponding to mark on a chromed bracket. Not even sure if it's a mark. Blue arrow on picture. Correct?

3. What is a procedure with stitch adjustment on this machine? I need to do that in order to do other adjustments but have no clue where 0, 8, etc is and how to operate it? I don't have dial on turn wheel like manual indicates. Machine from a factory, so it's probably preset.. I assume #1 and #2 loosening mechanism and #3 to do adjustments? Any tips? Like how many revolutions from MIN to 8spi, etc?

Those are things that I have trouble with at a moment, all other adjustments look like regular 111 stuff explained in many places.

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

The Top belt drive pulley has sides, so belt rides in a Chanel, so it cant walk right or left . .
On the belt not riding on the bottom drive pulley and walking off to side . The surface might be worn and making the belt walk off .
( best Guess ) .. surface wear/friction over years . Surfaces do not always wear-out even and flat . I have seen this before .

As for the rest of questions, cant comment as I have never owned that model .

I have a 136w110 which is similar, but shaft driven instead of belt driven. To adjust the stitch length, loosen #2, then turn #3 clockwise to decrease stitch length and counter-clockwise to increase. My machine doesn't have screw #1, just double check that it doesn't clamp the sliding eccentric in place like #2 does before adjusting. As far as the needle hitting a half inch in front of the feed dog holes, are you sure it's the needle bar and not the post that's mis-aligned?

Edited by rk5n

Thanks for replies! 

@rk5n See picture. I'm sure it's needle bar. Post is OK, but distance between needle bar and feet bar is too big and "wear" line is about 3/8 out(arrow) when it's all way back. So yes, it's somehow got out of whack.

I didn't touch any settings yet, want to start from beginning.

IMG_0384.jpg