motocouture

Dog Harness for my pocket bully

Been making a few different things recently, but decided that the pocket bully needed a decent harness. Used a Dieselpunk pattern (size medium), Herman Oak veg tan (6-7 oz), Orion Calf cognac cream wax to add a tint to the leather, hand stitched using Meisi M60 thread in orange, and 3/4 inch nickel-plated solid brass hardware from Buckleguy (including some purse feet as studs).

Was straightforward to assemble from the well-drafted pattern, and fits well on my 40 lb bully.  I changed the single point to a two-point attachment for situations where she needs to be more secure.

6050B2AF-EE6D-4D6A-9732-0422D55DF55E.jpeg

76C16D09-13F7-4247-AF58-15231C24AB74.jpeg

C7017482-BE76-4778-8AFB-BF0B39284A38.jpeg

5DBF04DA-F860-427E-9594-6DD49B16E002.jpeg

Looks really cool, and the colors are right as rain!

YinTx

That is very nice work. I like the stitching around the studs and the colour is very subtle. Mind you, your dog does not seem to sure about it! :no:

Very nice!  Looks good on her!

17 hours ago, YinTx said:

Looks really cool, and the colors are right as rain!

YinTx

Thanks! I like the antiqued look :) 

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

That is very nice work. I like the stitching around the studs and the colour is very subtle. Mind you, your dog does not seem to sure about it! :no:

Much appreciated! Lol mostly because she wants to chew on it as opposed to wearing it :) 

5 hours ago, Smartee said:

Very nice!  Looks good on her!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, DrmCa said:

giphy.gif

:lol:

05370B62-2D31-4A46-98A4-E5A4CF87CA54.jpeg

It's so cool that you have her restrained in case of a car crash or an attempt to jump out of the vehicle, but I would use a better strap between the harness and the seatbelt.

I also have a harness to secure our dog. It also keeps him from getting in the front seat and distracting me while I drive.  I made what looks like a short leash so I can feed the seat belt through the hand loop and clip the trigger clasp to a d-ring on his harness.  It works really well.  He can turn around in the back seat but can't get up front and would be restrained in case of a sudden stop. I leave the seat belt buckled through the short leash so I just have to clip to his harness when he gets in the car.  

She sits so nice in the seat. Good girl.

23 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

It's so cool that you have her restrained in case of a car crash or an attempt to jump out of the vehicle, but I would use a better strap between the harness and the seatbelt.

Thanks! You’re absolutely right though; next project on the list is making a better short lead for the car that either connect to the seat belt or into the seat belt clip :)  . At ~18kgs, definitely don’t want her unrestrained if a crash ever happened.

44 minutes ago, baroness said:

I also have a harness to secure our dog. It also keeps him from getting in the front seat and distracting me while I drive.  I made what looks like a short leash so I can feed the seat belt through the hand loop and clip the trigger clasp to a d-ring on his harness.  It works really well.  He can turn around in the back seat but can't get up front and would be restrained in case of a sudden stop. I leave the seat belt buckled through the short leash so I just have to clip to his harness when he gets in the car.  

She sits so nice in the seat. Good girl.

Thanks! She’s (usually) well behaved. That’s a great idea - do you have any photos you can share? I like the idea of just leaving that leash connected to the seat belt in the car. 

Wow! Lovely work. Do you walk the dog often in that harness? How's it holding up?

I also have a doggie of about 18 kg (crossbreed Jack Russell and Bassett) in need of a harness... I walk him (and the lighter, much more well mannered Jack Russell) often, between 3 and 5 km, and the crossbreed is a strong 'puller'. I think he actually walks me, instead of the other way round! I'm a bit worried that a bought pattern will not fit his dimensions too well, so it's to the drawing board I guess.

21 hours ago, motocouture said:

Thanks! She’s (usually) well behaved. That’s a great idea - do you have any photos you can share? I like the idea of just leaving that leash connected to the seat belt in the car. 

I don't have pictures. It is basically a really short leash, and could be used as one if you want to keep them close. Maybe 18"/45cm overall.  Used part of a leather belt blank to make it. 

A friend got a harness hook-up that goes in the seatbelt thing but it got bent right away and doesn't plug in very well any more.

The harness we have for our 50lb/23kg cattle dog has what works as a carry handle on the back for when he sees a bicycle rider and we need more control. 

8 hours ago, Riem said:

Wow! Lovely work. Do you walk the dog often in that harness? How's it holding up?

I also have a doggie of about 18 kg (crossbreed Jack Russell and Bassett) in need of a harness... I walk him (and the lighter, much more well mannered Jack Russell) often, between 3 and 5 km, and the crossbreed is a strong 'puller'. I think he actually walks me, instead of the other way round! I'm a bit worried that a bought pattern will not fit his dimensions too well, so it's to the drawing board I guess.

Thank you! I’ve been using it for just a week or so, but holding up well so far. She ran around like a mad thing in the backyard, and both doggy and harness seemed fine after lol. The pattern I bought from Dieselpunk.ro was excellent value; for one pdf purchase you get 3 or 4 different sizes, with the size selection based on the chest measurement. I usually draft my own patterns, but it was definitely nice to have a well-drafted pattern to start from. 

2 hours ago, baroness said:

I don't have pictures. It is basically a really short leash, and could be used as one if you want to keep them close. Maybe 18"/45cm overall.  Used part of a leather belt blank to make it. 

A friend got a harness hook-up that goes in the seatbelt thing but it got bent right away and doesn't plug in very well any more.

The harness we have for our 50lb/23kg cattle dog has what works as a carry handle on the back for when he sees a bicycle rider and we need more control. 

No worries, and thanks for the details! I think I have some leftover belt blanks that would be perfect for that....

I know the feeling - was glad to have something extra on her to grab at the vet yesterday when someone’s cat escaped from the carrier....wasn’t sure how that was all going to play out there for a moment :o

On 7/14/2019 at 10:18 PM, motocouture said:

No worries, and thanks for the details! I think I have some leftover belt blanks that would be perfect for that....

I know the feeling - was glad to have something extra on her to grab at the vet yesterday when someone’s cat escaped from the carrier....wasn’t sure how that was all going to play out there for a moment :o

Yea, our dog managed to get a couple baby bunnies out of a nest.  I only had a collar on him and he managed to back out of it because he was so determined.  Having a handle  on the harness makes it so much easier to control them without worrying they're going to hurt themselves.  He'll bark a raspy bark pulling against the collar - he doesn't care.  I haven't had a cat for him to chase yet, whew.

His harness has a D ring on the chest to attach to the strap. Consider how it attaches to the seat belt when you decide what length you do.

I really like Dieselpunk's patterns. They are really well proportioned and constructed. When I'm done with some landscaping I want to use his backpack pattern to make one for my sweetie.

Dieselpunk has some bad-ass patterns. Beautiful harness 

On 7/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, mud said:

Dieselpunk has some bad-ass patterns. Beautiful harness 

Agreed, and thanks!!!

How is that seat belt supposed to work for the dog?  It isn't even latched!  The latch will slide down the belt and then the belt will pull out.  Just like when you sit down and pull the belt across your lap to latch.  Confused.

BTW, really nice harness :)

There are commercial car harnesses for dogs. I'd have a look at how they attach to the seat/seat belt. That set up does not look at all safe!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, KJD2121 said:

How is that seat belt supposed to work for the dog?  It isn't even latched!  The latch will slide down the belt and then the belt will pull out.  Just like when you sit down and pull the belt across your lap to latch.  Confused.

BTW, really nice harness :)

It’s hard to see in the photo, but the latch can’t slide down further (small stopper built into the belt). The belt also has an automatic mechanism so that if force is applied too quickly, it won’t release, even if it’s not buckled in. All that said, agreed - have been researching clip-in attachments to be safe...

Thanks!!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:44 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

There are commercial car harnesses for dogs. I'd have a look at how they attach to the seat/seat belt. That set up does not look at all safe!

Agreed on the seat belt attachments, have been doing some research into those. f=ma is an unforgiving equation.

Luckily, on my short test run to the pet store, the setup worked well when someone blindly (no indicators, either) reversed out in front of me and I had to come to a quick halt.

hi Looking good ,

is that your own design and  you have a pattern avail?

Tks

7 hours ago, Rock said:

hi Looking good ,

is that your own design and  you have a pattern avail?

Tks

Thanks! Full credit for the design goes to DieselPunk patterns; you can buy them for a minimal price online, then download the PDF. 

7 hours ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

Nice work! And cute fur baby!

Thank you on both counts! She’s definitely a spoilt fur baby lol. 

On 7/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, Riem said:

Dieselpunk's on Etsy - his patterns are excellent.