xderiwx

Black Tokonole

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the black or other tinted Tokonole, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Im currently using the clear Tokonole for edge work on wallets and have been enjoying the results compared to gum trag. I like the shiny/glassy finish it provides. I was interested in purchasing the black Tokonole for use on the edges of black leather (Buttero), both as a dye and for edge finishing. I currently can’t get ahold of something like Fiebings Pro Dyes for the edges since it can’t be shipped to me, and didn’t want to venture into edge dying just yet, so I was thinking the black Tokonole would be a good option. There’s one video on YouTube from GoodsJapan that shows them using the black Tokonole on the flesh side, and it seems to do a pretty good job at dying the leather.

My concern is that since Tokonole is water based, that there might be some bleeding issues if the edges got wet? If so, I was thinking that adding a wax at the very end of burnishing could help with some water resistance, but at that point I might lose out on some of the shine/gloss that I currently like from the clear Tokonole. Perhaps something like Columbus Mill edge wax instead of beeswax would be best? Would the black Tokonole alone be okay without any bleeding issues?

Please let me know of your thoughts and experiences, and thanks for looking!

I don't think you will see any problems with it getting wet. I can't help but think it is some concoction of Elmer's glue.

I'm sorry, I haven't had any experience with the colored variety.

Have you thought about adding some dye to the clear and doing some test pieces? I just now thought of that.

14 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I don't think you will see any problems with it getting wet. I can't help but think it is some concoction of Elmer's glue.

I'm sorry, I haven't had any experience with the colored variety.

Have you thought about adding some dye to the clear and doing some test pieces? I just now thought of that.

Thanks for the reply!

No, actually that didn’t cross my mind until reading your reply! But at the moment I only have water based black dye. EcoFlo water stain. So I’d imagine it would probably be pretty similar to the tinted Tokonole?

Ill see if I can reach GoodsJapan through email and ask about it, then order a jar. 

On 7/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, xderiwx said:

Would the black Tokonole alone be okay without any bleeding issues?

Think about latex paint on your house. It is water based, but does it bleed in the rain? ... Nope. I think that once Tokonole sets up there should be no bleeding problems.

I have a jar and have used it to edge some chrome-tan leather. Works great, and although I can't confirm its durability. When applied, it reminded me of Fenice edge paint only thicker.

If you add color to the clear Tokonole you will change its chemical makeup, and that could have a negative affect its durability. 

My 2¢.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, LatigoAmigo said:

Think about latex paint on your house. It is water based, but does it bleed in the rain? ... Nope. I think that once Tokonole sets up there should be no bleeding problems.

I have a jar and have used it to edge some chrome-tan leather. Works great, and although I can't confirm its durability. When applied, it reminded me of Fenice edge paint only thicker.

If you add color to the clear Tokonole you will change its chemical makeup, and that could have a negative affect its durability. 

My 2¢.

Thank you!

I have used the brown on brownish shades of Buttero with great results. It's durable and tends to blend with a range of colors.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, gojosh said:

I have used the brown on brownish shades of Buttero with great results. It's durable and tends to blend with a range of colors.

Thanks!

So no problems with bleeding I assume?

6 hours ago, xderiwx said:

Thanks!

So no problems with bleeding I assume?

None that I've noticed, it's thick like Elmer's glue (not watery like solvent dye) and I don't use it in huge quantities so that might contribute to the success.

Bit late to the party, but I am currently using black Tokonole to burnish the edges of black Wicket & Craig Bridle. I finish with beeswax. The result is more matte or satin than glossy, but I think it looks great. I found that I needed more of the black Tokonole to fully cover the edge, compared to the clear drying one. But the results are far better than Fiebing's Dura Edge. 

1 hour ago, MiaOhMia said:

I found that I needed more of the black Tokonole to fully cover the edge, compared to the clear drying one.

I typically use three coats to make sure I'm getting a durable edge.