Actus

Leather strap cutter for soft leather

Hello everyone,

I'm a little lost. I'm looking for a strap cutting tool for soft leather.

Tried the manual strap cutting tool, but there is no way I can get it to cut straps.

Of course, there's the ruler method, but apart from that, is there any reasonably priced small machine that can help me achieve this which you can recommend?

About the best results I have had with soft leather, was by using a roller knife and a straight edge. I found a utility knife and straight edge caused the leather to drag and stretch so my edge did not come out straight.

I cut the soft leather (backing) oversize, adhered it to the firmer leather, then cut off the excess soft leather.

As for strap cutters, I had no luck with a plough gauge (push) or a pull type.

How soft is soft? Medium soft stuff I cut with a wooden strap cutter but the difference between a cheap one and a decent one is enormous. Ignore the "correct" blades and get a pack of Schick injector blades -- same price, much better.

I need 5ft straps to match back to back with no noticeable difference in width. Went from maybe 40% reject rate to about 5%.

Thank you Matt S and Rockoboy. Noted.

Soft as in very soft - Chrome tanned, bull hide.

I've just pulled the trigger on a track cutter last night. Hope it goes well.

Will let you know how it goes.

track cutter.JPG

On 7/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, Matt S said:

How soft is soft? Medium soft stuff I cut with a wooden strap cutter but the difference between a cheap one and a decent one is enormous. Ignore the "correct" blades and get a pack of Schick injector blades -- same price, much better.

I need 5ft straps to match back to back with no noticeable difference in width. Went from maybe 40% reject rate to about 5%.

5% reject is quite good

Actus-

How is that track cutter working out?

I use a similar track cutter ( made for quilting but works fine for the suede and soft leather i cut)  It cuts very tidy and straight every time.. My ONLY problem is the first guide line is 1 1/4 inches in.. and i almost always need it to cut 1/4 in and 1/2 inch strips 18-20 inches long.. for that i use a self heal mat, an acrylic 20 inch ruler and a rotary blade cutter.. VERY rarely do i have an issue..

I'm desperate to find something that i could build or buy ( inexpensively ) that will cut good braiding lace from the same VERY soft leathers and suede.