My first time trying a side gusset like this on a bag. It took me about 4 or 5 goes to get it to work.

2BA587D6-289A-41B9-BF96-F0A3478EA132.jpeg

C2A82918-86E0-4916-B5B8-C86FCDE0AB7E.jpeg

Very nice! Is that a binding on the edge, or just very professional edge slicking and painting?

HOw did you finish the edge of the gusset?

25 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Very nice! Is that a binding on the edge, or just very professional edge slicking and painting?

HOw did you finish the edge of the gusset?

It’s just Fiebings Edge Kote. I suppose like others we try different ways when slicking edges but basically it was;

Bevel the edge, dye the edge and let it dry

Slick the edge a couple of times with a light sanding of 400 grit in between

Apply the edge kote, let dry and slick

Repeat, again with a light sanding in between

For sticking  the gusset to the body I tried different things but it always seemed to crinkle. I saw somewhere about cutting a small vee at the peak of the curve so that’s what i did (after skiving) and that worked for me. You can see a small line where the cut was bit it isn’t noticeable especially after stitching and edge kite

Great job

Very nice job. Your edges look professionally finished.

Some people have suggested on other posts, that the way you have fixed your buckle is actually upside down. I am not so set in my mind for every job, but I think, in this case I would prefer the buckle being fixed to the flap, not the lower front of the bag.

Any thoughts after using the bag?

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

Very nice job. Your edges look professionally finished.

Some people have suggested on other posts, that the way you have fixed your buckle is actually upside down. I am not so set in my mind for every job, but I think, in this case I would prefer the buckle being fixed to the flap, not the lower front of the bag.

Any thoughts after using the bag?

The bag is for my other half and she cannot be bothered with doing and undoing straps so the buckle is purely decorative. The whole buckle and strap section is one piece with a magnetic catch underneath. If you look at the second photo you can just see some stitches underneath the strap where the opposing magnet on the bag is located

1 hour ago, Dunluce said:

the buckle is purely decorative.

OHHH! That is so good! You know I am going to steal that idea. :lol: