beltbuckles

burning thread near cement glue

so i have seen people burn the thread of the ends to melt it... my question is, if it is by an area that is glued into place via contact cement (weldwood) . would this cause some potential danger or harm?   i don't want to burst into flames so.. do you guys burn the ends or just rethread into a previously sewn area?

45 minutes ago, beltbuckles said:

do you guys burn the ends

I burn the ends with a battery powered thread burning tool that I got at Amazon. Very happy with it. 

Cordless Thread Burning Tool.jpg

10 hours ago, beltbuckles said:

so i have seen people burn the thread of the ends to melt it... my question is, if it is by an area that is glued into place via contact cement (weldwood) . would this cause some potential danger or harm?   i don't want to burst into flames so.. do you guys burn the ends or just rethread into a previously sewn area?

If the contact cement is still fresh from being applied then yes a flame will light it all up. I have over  the years had this happen a couple of times. Once the glue has dried off, normally overnight it is alright.

4 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

If the contact cement is still fresh from being applied then yes a flame will light it all up. I have over  the years had this happen a couple of times. Once the glue has dried off, normally overnight it is alright.

Yep, been there done that. But then I was trying to speed the drying process with a blowtorch...

I  carefully burn the ends all the time using a ciggy lighter  ....and not near fresh dyes,  sealers  or adhesives........I like my eyebrows  .

With webbing , like on horse rug repairs, I use a  blowy torchy thingy that I got from my local hardware for about 5.00 bucks to melt the frayed ends etc.   :) 

HS 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:10 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

I burn the ends with a battery powered thread burning tool that I got at Amazon. Very happy with it. 

thank you, i have a wood carving thing (i think) that may do a similar work.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

wow, so it can happen.   thank you for your response

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I  carefully burn the ends all the time using a ciggy lighter  ....and not near fresh dyes,  sealers  or adhesives........I like my eyebrows  .

With webbing , like on horse rug repairs, I use a  blowy torchy thingy that I got from my local hardware for about 5.00 bucks to melt the frayed ends etc.   :) 

HS 

thank you... i think the cigar lighter is similiar effect to the thread zapper mentioned above

10 hours ago, Matt S said:

Yep, been there done that. But then I was trying to speed the drying process with a blowtorch...

sounds like a potentially scary situation

On 7/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, beltbuckles said:

-

Fresh glue and spray adhesive is pretty obvious (common sense) a No Go . You can set anything on fire if you try hard enough or not paying attention .

Flame and burning-off thread tails, cauterizing fraying edges is pretty everyday common practice and nothing to really worry about . Bic Lighters by every machine and keeping a good hot knife is good tools to have and learn .

I'm with nylonRigging on this one.  Bic lighters are in my drawers there by the sewing machine.

By the time I'm sewing, . . . there is nothing on that piece that will burst into flames, . . . and nothing in the immediate vicinity.

I just "flick my Bic", . . . melt em and rub em a bit so there is not sharp burnt piece.

May God bless,

Dwight

43 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I'm with nylonRigging on this one.  Bic lighters are in my drawers there by the sewing machine.

By the time I'm sewing, . . . there is nothing on that piece that will burst into flames, . . . and nothing in the immediate vicinity.

I just "flick my Bic", . . . melt em and rub em a bit so there is not sharp burnt piece.

May God bless,

Dwight

thank you.. i have a lighter, so i guess can continue to do that... 

17 minutes ago, beltbuckles said:

thank you.. i have a lighter, so i guess can continue to do that... 

I have been using the Thread Zap II as LatigoAmigo mentioned. In my opinion it's much better than using a lighter and well worth the money. You can get very close with it and there's almost no chance of burn damage to your project from an open flame.

2 minutes ago, TargetRockLeather said:

I have been using the Thread Zap II as LatigoAmigo mentioned. In my opinion it's much better than using a lighter and well worth the money. You can get very close with it and there's almost no chance of burn damage to your project from an open flame.

does it melt all the threads together in a ball as to not come unraveled?

Yes. It's a small ball, but certainly enough to prevent unraveling and might even help the thread not to pull through. There are some youtube videos showing it in use. Check them out. Another nice thing is that it cuts the thread and melts the ends in one step. Also eliminates the chance of your knife nicking your project when you cut the thread (had that happen once).

normally cementing/gluing works for linen threads.

burning - for the synthetics

good point. forgot to mention that. i only use synthetic myself so i forgot about the linen.

I had a thread zapper and it worked pretty good when batteries were new, but it went through batteries so quickly, I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle.  Something else broke and then it wouldn’t work even with new batteries.  Went back to using a match or Bic lighter.

Gary

22 minutes ago, garypl said:

I had a thread zapper and it worked pretty good when batteries were new, but it went through batteries so quickly, I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle.  Something else broke and then it wouldn’t work even with new batteries.

I had a similar experience, then went to longer lasting lithium batteries, and found that the burning elements are replaceable, so my interest was renewed at that point, and I haven't looked back.

9 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I had a similar experience, then went to longer lasting lithium batteries, and found that the burning elements are replaceable, so my interest was renewed at that point, and I haven't looked back.

About how often do you have to replace the lithium batteries?

4 hours ago, garypl said:

About how often do you have to replace the lithium batteries?

It depends on how often I use the thread burner. In my case I might go for weeks without using it, but I haven't changed the battery since last summer.

8 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

It depends on how often I use the thread burner. In my case I might go for weeks without using it, but I haven't changed the battery since last summer.

Well, maybe I will buy another one :)

On 7/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, garypl said:

Well, maybe I will buy another one :)

I had a similar experience to you, so after two tries it went into the drawer and never came out.  If you are looking for one to buy, I could probably dig mine out and send it your way...

YinTx

Thanks Y - I am going to mull it over before I buy another one.  Bit lighter has been working pretty good:yes:

On 7/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, Matt S said:

:oops: or should that be :lol:.

I use a soldering iron with a fine tip, no flame and it gets in close.

2 hours ago, dikman said:

:oops: or should that be :lol:.

I use a soldering iron with a fine tip, no flame and it gets in close.

That will work great . All a Hot-knife is, is a glorified soldering iron .
Until I bought production hot knives, all I used to do is just buy those Radio Shack 100 watt solder guns . Then put/fix a two-prong blade on it, in-place of the solder tips . The smaller watt Solder wands work great also for specific jobs .
I cried the day they quit selling those radio shack solder guns with the 2 screws tightening on the end .
I still got a couple of them and one I never used & I always keep my eye's peeled at  junk stores for those old 100 watt guns .
-
1977321950_HotKnives1.thumb.jpg.e726ec596c44cc454f3c038742d12e52.jpg

25 minutes ago, nylonRigging said:

1977321950_HotKnives1.thumb.jpg.e726ec596c44cc454f3c038742d12e52.jpg

I see by the photo you are a millionaire, along with $7 and another note.  :yeah: Shouldn't be too hard to afford another?  :blink:  heheheh couldn't resist...

YinTx