PappysLeather

Conceal carry holster for middle of back

I have a customer ask for a conceal carry holster for the middle of his back. I have tried to modify a pattern I have that is for a minimal semi-automatic holster. It is for a small block. Does anyone have a pattern they could share? I want to put belt clips where the slots for a belt are so It fits inside the pants.

Pappy, . . . just a piece of info, . . . before you make that for him, . . . make sure he knows the danger of wearing a handgun directly behind his spine.

If he goes down hard in any kind of accident or confrontation, . . . better than 50/50 he will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

I don't make them myself, . . . for that single reason.  I do not want to be part of a person being maimed for life.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you did not think about that. Can it be off to the side but still considered in the back?

33 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Pappy, . . . just a piece of info, . . . before you make that for him, . . . make sure he knows the danger of wearing a handgun directly behind his spine.

If he goes down hard in any kind of accident or confrontation, . . . better than 50/50 he will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

I don't make them myself, . . . for that single reason.  I do not want to be part of a person being maimed for life.

May God bless,

Dwight

guns don't kill, as well as holsters.
people do

The "could happen" is WAY over blown these days. 

I should maybe stop making holsters, I guess?  If someone fell on their hip, they could get hurt badly.  WAIT.. if somebody fell on the OTHER side, they could cause a discharge at them or someone else.  I shouldn't sell my car when I get a new one, since somebody could get in an accident with it.  

AT SOME POINT, people have to be responsible for what they do.  The store sells me Snickers bars.  I eat them like a junkie.  But if my neighbor is allergic to peanuts, this does not warrant the store NOT selling SNickers bars.

But for THIS rig, sounds like you bout got it whooped - you alrady have a "close" pattern, and you already know how you want to build it... so... just a matter of making one, see how you like the look and feel of it.

if someone doesn't know the dangers of carrying a gun then they souldnt carry one.  If they shoot themselves its because of their own stupidity sp they deserve it.

6 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

The "could happen" is WAY over blown these days. 

I should maybe stop making holsters, I guess?  If someone fell on their hip, they could get hurt badly.  WAIT.. if somebody fell on the OTHER side, they could cause a discharge at them or someone else.  I shouldn't sell my car when I get a new one, since somebody could get in an accident with it.  

AT SOME POINT, people have to be responsible for what they do.  The store sells me Snickers bars.  I eat them like a junkie.  But if my neighbor is allergic to peanuts, this does not warrant the store NOT selling SNickers bars.

But for THIS rig, sounds like you bout got it whooped - you alrady have a "close" pattern, and you already know how you want to build it... so... just a matter of making one, see how you like the look and feel of it.

expanded version :cheers:

2 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

Thank you did not think about that. Can it be off to the side but still considered in the back?

Yes, . . . as long as it is to one side or the other of the actual spine itself, . . . it is much safer.

And you can disregard the asinine comments of folks who put profit above the safety of their customers.  Accidents do happen, . . . non lethal encounters also happen, . . . falling backward on a handgun underneath your spine can be a serious problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

I was gonna just by-pass that. Changed my mind.  I looked that up, seriously. 

If you read the definition of "asinine", it sounds like they're talking about a guy who gives psuedo-morality lectures under the guise of "just a piece of info" ... without even touching anything resembling a legit response to the guy's question (by way of reminder, the question was "Does anyone have a pattern they could share?")  

as·i·nine
/ˈasəˌnīn/
adjective
  1. extremely stupid or foolish.
    "Lydia ignored his asinine remark"
    synonyms: stupid, foolish, pointless, brainless, mindless, senseless, doltish, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, insane, lunatic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, preposterous, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, childish, infantile, puerile, immature, juvenile, inane, witless, half-baked, empty-headed, unintelligent, halfwitted, slow-witted, weak-minded; 

All BS aside, carrying anything in the middle of your back and then sitting in a car seat is bad for your back.  Just ask any law enforcement officer that carried his hand cuffs in the middle of his back while riding around in a patrol car for his career how his back feels.

I wish I had a pattern for you, but I can recommend the Al Stohlman holster pattern making book.  It mainly references wheel guns and tooling those style holster but their is a nice section on different style of belt attachments that would help you out and give you some ideas.  The lessons learned and general pattern design will work for any holster/pouch design.  I think the book is like 11 dollars on amazon and well worth the price.

I don't do very many of these, but I don't shun them either.  Gonna soon design one for a fella with a Sig P938. Personally, I would put that gun in a POCKET holster, but he carries how HE carries.... so I'll lay out something and see what he thinks about that.  Basically, a SOB holster is just a upside down cross-draw ... sorta ;)

Note teh Stohlman book on holsters (which is quite good even though not long) is available as a free download, I think. Check out leathercraftlibrary.com

Guns are just tools just like a hammer. Some people for whatever their reason or need will carry either a hammer or gun in the middle of the back. Accidents do and can happen. Personally I don't think I would carry in that body location from a comfort point of view carry in that location. Someone who is trained will carry and store their gun in a safe manner.

kgg

I generally talk most people out of them.  But if they don't change their mind, at least they know the problems.  First question is palm out draw or palm in draw?  That usually sets the direction of how I pattern.  Palm in I can usually get away with a holster with some serious cant so the grip is near vertical.  Palm out, a lot of times I do a neutral cant IWB holster for the opposite of their drawing hand.  Making a second holster for a guy now, right handed shooter with basically a left handed neutral cant single clip.  He loves them.  Go figure.  

SOB and cross draw both have to fight with grip angle and keeping the belt out of the way.