Sign in to follow this  
artigiano

Lifting clicker with forklift

I have a FIPI brand hydraulic clicker (which weighs approximately 2000 lbs) that I am looking to lift off the ground in order to place a pallet under it for transport. I was planning to use a forklift for this job but was curious if anyone has experience in this arena. There aren't any areas on the clicker that can support the forks except under the swinging head of the machine, which I can screw down tight over the forks. I'm just worried that the head may not support the full weight of the machine. Any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, artigiano said:

I have a FIPI brand hydraulic clicker (which weighs approximately 2000 lbs) that I am looking to lift off the ground in order to place a pallet under it for transport. I was planning to use a forklift for this job but was curious if anyone has experience in this arena. There aren't any areas on the clicker that can support the forks except under the swinging head of the machine, which I can screw down tight over the forks. I'm just worried that the head may not support the full weight of the machine. Any thoughts?

At that weight, I have to assume that your machine is at least a 20 ton clicker, probably much higher.  That means the head is rated to press 20 tons of force.  Your machine weight is approximately 1 ton.  Your head is more than rated to lift the clicker up, and lifting it with a strap is a common method of lifting these in the factory. I've done it myself on our 16 ton machines (1400 lbs).  
However, if you like, almost all clickers can be lifted by placing the forks underneath the machine, close to the feet of the machine.  The lower case is designed to hold the weight of the machine.  just make sure the forks don't bang in the machine or any drain plugs in the bottom of the case.   EXPECT THE FORKS TO BEND.  When they bend, counter by leaning them back a little to keep the machine level.  
I would strongly suggest a pallet with a solid surface.  a regular pallet will crush under the point load of the feet.  I use 3/4" plywood (NOT OSB!!) for a base, and even then, still reinforce with 2x4's.  You might just use (2) pieces of 3/4" plywood.  Be sure to bolt the feet to the pallet: If one foot crushes, the bolts will keep the machine upright.  

Thanks for the reply and insight. I'd be a little reluctant to lift the clicker from below since I don't see much clearance on my model and the forklift operator (not me) doesn't have the experience with a top-heavy item like this. 

So you've used a sling under head of the clicker? Might be a little more challenging to attach sling to forks. Most of these for-hire forklift operators don't like to get too creative.  Would there be a benefit to using a sling as opposed  to screwing the head directly down onto the forks?  Can you think of any risk of doing this way? 

Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, I figured there would be an issue of tilt since most of the weight is towards the back of the clicker.  What exactly do you mean by a guiding line to keep the tilt in check? Do you mean something simply to visually monitor the balance as it is lifted or a supplemental physical line of support of some sort? 

A few years ago I moved an Atom Se25 in my shop and it's a heavy machine...
I think a FIPI is a clone of an Atom?

Anyway,  There should be some threaded bolt holes on each side of the clicker near the surface of the "table"  Those are for bolting a lifting sling to the machine.  It's just a piece of chain with a flat metal plate on each end with holes drilled for bolts to pass through.    I think you could rig one up yourself pretty easily.    I actually had one (Or should say I still have one). Meaning I have no idea where it's at.....Lost but present somewhere on my property :)

DONT pick it up by the head/swing arm if you can get out of it.   I've done it before on other machines but looking back I wouldn't do it again :)

Other than that, once you get a skid/pallet under your machine you can move it that way.   I happen to have a steel base with rubber feet that came with mine that I left on it. (I think it's a type of sea/shipping skid with tunnels in it for forks).

I didn't use a forklift to move that machine.  I rented a "Super Bobcat" the heaviest, biggest bobcat/skid-steer I could get.  Cost me about $100 to rent a day with pallet forks.

Just went REAL SLOW......The clicker was heavy and it did lift the back wheels of the bobcat a couple times. 

I'd suggest renting one of those Bobcats w/forks and just go real slow.   I specifically rented one as i had to drive over some grass yard and through a door only 9' high...
Forklift might struggle a bit with that.

Anyway just my experience/suggestion, yours may vary considerably.

Here is a PDF link for an ATOM manual. It shows how to sling it  up about 1/2 the way through.

https://www.kempler.com/sites/default/files/manufacturer/docs/catalog/Atom Series SE Clicking Press With Turning Arm Manual_0.pdf

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

@artigiano This brings back memories.  I have a  USM  Hytronic 20 ton  press. It weighs 1 ton .  It had to be lifted off the back of a 8x4 trailer , onto the ground using a forklift, and then onto a pallet  ( not me driving it) , and then into my workshop. . But...the forklift was too big to fit right inside my workshop, it could only be placed just inside the  roller door...so....I knew someone with a  1 ton pallet lifter ( like supermarkets etc.  use) . We then maneuvered the press ,  pallet and all  into position into my workshop ( and without getting a hernia ) .   I have put extra metal supports under the feet at the front to take the weight to be sure.  It sits a little high, but thats fine with me. The thinking behind putting it on a pallet , was so it can be moved about the workshop in the future, and also forklifts don't fit inside my workshop    :)

We evenly spaced the forks directly under the machine, the forklift could only just lift it up, the rear wheels were starting to lift...oops !! 

HS 

What model Fipi? FP 20 by chance? I need a picture of the back head of how a switch is wired if it is!  If you can help me out that would be awesome!

Using a forklift to lift your hydraulic clicker sounds like a practical approach. However, safety should always come first. If you're concerned about the weight distribution and the support of the machine's head, it might be a good idea to consult with a professional.

5 hours ago, RickyGonzales said:

Using a forklift to lift your hydraulic clicker sounds like a practical approach. However, safety should always come first. If you're concerned about the weight distribution and the support of the machine's head, it might be a good idea to consult with a professional.

If you ever decide to delve deeper into forklift operations or expand your knowledge in the field, you might want to explore additional resources. For instance, you can learn more about forklift operations and safety through on-site forklift training. They offer comprehensive training programs that can not only enhance your forklift skills but also provide valuable insights into safety protocols.

Clickers have a very solid base.  You can lift them with a fork lift.  You have to get it up enough to put 4x4 under them.  A pallet jack will also lift it up enough to get 4 x 4 under it.  Then bolt the (2)  4 x 4's to the clicker.  I have moved clickers before.  If moving and transporting them some place,  drain the gallons of oil out of the machine first.  You move it and oil will spill  which is a mess.  I use the the pallet jack to lift the machine, put blocks of wood under not blocking the bolt holes.  Cut 4x4 to go front to back.   Drill 4x4 for bolt holes, recess bottom of hole and bolt to machine with dead recess in the bottom.  Bolts are upside down. Lift up machine with pallet jack and remove blocking.  Lower machine on to the floor with it resting on the 4x4's.  Now can be moved with either pallet jack or forklift.

glenn