So I went to my local Lowe's to pick up some denatured alcohol and wasn't able to find it on the shelf... or the spot on the shelf with price tag where it was supposed to be. I asked the paint counter girl what was up and she informed me that CA has banned denatured alcohol and several other high VOC solvents. Acetone was on the shelf as well as several very caustic and smelly paint strippers. Confused, I searched the internet for an explanation and found little to nothing about this issue. I was able to secure what I needed at a local ACE hardware store and they had piles of gallons sitting on shelves.

Anyone else have similar experiences and do I need to stock up?

I'd stock up enough to keep going until I left CA.   :P

- Bill

12 hours ago, billybopp said:

I'd stock up enough to keep going until I left CA.   :P

- Bill

You said a mouthful there.

I ran into this same problem recently! I am about to run out of denatured alcohol, and I can't find it locally. Tandy won't even sell Fiebing's dye reducer to California anymore.

Please help! What can I use as a substitute for denatured alcohol? (I usually cut dyes 50% with it.) I usually use Angelus dyes, Fiebing's dyes, or Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes.

Edited by Eirewolf
Adding information

Good old Everclear booze.......  95 proof.

9 hours ago, Eirewolf said:

I ran into this same problem recently! I am about to run out of denatured alcohol, and I can't find it locally. Tandy won't even sell Fiebing's dye reducer to California anymore.

Please help! What can I use as a substitute for denatured alcohol? (I usually cut dyes 50% with it.) I usually use Angelus dyes, Fiebing's dyes, or Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes.

Try 90%+ isopropyl alcohol, found at drug stores. 

- Bill

8 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Good old Everclear booze.......  95 proof.

:17: ironically though you can buy the alcohol that kills you , ruins lives and families, and is statistically far more dangerous.

Can't help with CA but I've purchased Klean-Strip Fuel denatured alcohol at several Walmarts in our area.  I think it was in the camping/sporting goods section.

16 hours ago, TomE said:

Can't help with CA but I've purchased Klean-Strip Fuel denatured alcohol at several Walmarts in our area.  I think it was in the camping/sporting goods section.

Thanks everyone! Klean-Strip Fuel denatured alcohol is what I used to use, but alas, 'tis nowhere to be found 'round these parts nowadays.

Is 90%+ isopropyl alcohol very similar to that when cutting dyes?

6 hours ago, Eirewolf said:

Thanks everyone! Klean-Strip Fuel denatured alcohol is what I used to use, but alas, 'tis nowhere to be found 'round these parts nowadays.

Is 90%+ isopropyl alcohol very similar to that when cutting dyes?

I would give it a try.  As you probably know, isopropyl alcohol has an extra methyl group in comparison to ethanol.  The chemical properties of these 2 alcohols are more similar than different in my experience as a biochemist.  You might see different behaviors when dissolving a solid in these alcohols, but I doubt you'd see a difference when diluting alcohol based dye by 50% in either of these solvents.  I dilute Fiebings Pro Dye with an equal volume of Tan Kote or Martin's Edge Solution for dyeing and burnishing edges in one step and this works great!  I am careful to mix the solution before each use.  The MSDS for Fiebings Dye Reducer does not list the ingredients but this post suggests ingredients for dye reducer.    

Edited by TomE

have only used 91% isopropyl alcohol with good results.

Thanks so much everyone! I will try the isopropyl alcohol.

If anyone else has experience using it to cut dyes (or has more suggestions for other alternatives), I'd love to hear about it!

I never used anything but isopropyl rubbing alcohol for thinning dyes. It is dirt cheap and available at every corner drug store. When I was doing leather a bunch, I'd buy it by the gallon. I never saw a difference between the rubbing alcohol and higher percentages with my dye formulas. 

I think it was Aaron from Makers who said Peter Main uses rubbing alcohol as a dye reducer.

I've used it in the past as well denatured alcohol. I can't tell any difference.