That is interesting.

Started using Fiebings Neatsfoot Oil, and neatsfoot oil compound (not identical products) in about 1972 and used them regularly until 2015 (43 years) when I retired and sold the leather business. Never thought about skin exposure, vapors, or any other aspect of using these products. Routinely applied neatsfoot oil with my bare hands while finishing tens of thousands of holsters, belts, and accessories.

Only observation I can offer is that my hands remain youthful with very supple skin as I approach my 8th decade of life. I have grandchildren with older looking hands.

Your methods and results may vary. I will figure out something else to worry myself about.

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That is interesting.

Started using Fiebings Neatsfoot Oil, and neatsfoot oil compound (not identical products) in about 1972 and used them regularly until 2015 (43 years) when I retired and sold the leather business. Never thought about skin exposure, vapors, or any other aspect of using these products. Routinely applied neatsfoot oil with my bare hands while finishing tens of thousands of holsters, belts, and accessories.

Only observation I can offer is that my hands remain youthful with very supple skin as I approach my 8th decade of life. I have grandchildren with older looking hands.

Your methods and results may vary. I will figure out something else to worry myself about.

I knew the "compound" was different than straight neatsfoot but I couldn't found out what the added ingredients were. I've read anything from silicon to parrifin wax

2 minutes ago, SShepherd said:

I knew the "compound" was different than straight neatsfoot but I couldn't found out what the added ingredients were. I've read anything from silicon to parrifin wax

Neatsfoot oil is rendered from the feet and lower legs of cattle. It is nature's way of protecting the hooves, feet, and lower legs from freezing during cold weather while lubricating and moisturizing the animal's lower extremities. Some have appropriately called it "cow oil".

Pure neatsfoot oil is not cheap. Fiebings and others offer "neatsfoot oil compound" as a less expensive alternative. Composed of varying proportions of neatsfoot oil, mineral oil, and/or vegetable oils.

You may or may not get what you are paying for. I always specified pure neatsfoot oil.

It can be "compounded" with just about anything so it is best to find a named (other than NFO Compound) product that suits you and stick to it as all NF oil compounds are created equal.