Cferna27

Need help with Singer 7-33

Hi all,

...well I just purchased a Singer 7-33.  been looking for this for a long time. Upon receiving the machine,  low and behold  the machine is damaged.  BAD!

In short, can any one please help me find a Fly wheel? 

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.01.22 AM.png

Unless you're anal about the looks, why not just replace it with a suitable large pulley?

Anything else damaged?

Hi, ...was thinking about the same exact thing.

Thanks.

35007 Consew Seiko balance wheel will work as a direct replacement here, all the same as the older cast iron spoked handwheel.

Just had another thought, if the pulley part itself is intact just trim off any bits left by the broken off rim, patch the damaged edges with an epoxy and smooth down. Cheap way of getting it working while you decide what to do.

Thank you so much for both your advice.

A friend volunteered to see if he can weld back the pieces together?  So lets hope that works out?

C.

Technically cast iron can be welded, but it requires the correct filler rod, and very careful preheating.  If your friend is experienced in welding cast iron, they might do it successfully.  If done improperly often the cast iron will spontaneously break next to the weld repair at exactly the most inconvenient moment.

If they aren't experienced in welding cast iron, it's much easier to brass or bronze braze the repair.  Suggest this to them if they can do it.

The other possibility, and certainly the easier solution is to measure the diameter of the top shaft where the wheel mounts, and replace it with an off the shelf sheave (pulley) of your choice.  Going this route, you can use an even larger wheel, which will further slow the machine and increase torque.  You'll lose the traditional Singer look, but  you will end up with a solution that can be even more functional than the part you replaced.

Edited by LederMaschinist

Good luck with the welding! Looking at the breaks it's going to be a very fiddly job (not like simply welding a cracked base plate together).

If welded and it breaks at high revs it could send fragments all over the place and hurt you, obviously you would go slow at the start but just when you get confident its ok and speed up a bit???

Im talking to my welder friend right now about all of this?  it is the quickest and cheapest fix, but can be touchy later on as i'm finding out.

I'll update when I can.  Thanks again for all the suggestion.   Great bunch of folks!

C.

as ledermaschinist said... It will be easiest and probably best to bronze or even silver braze... Its not difficult to do....  however, other types of welding take much more skill and knowledge...

Regarding it flying apart at an inconvenient moment.... Why would it?  There is no torque on that part of the fly-wheel... Its the rim and there is no leather drive band...

It’s pretty straight forward to braze or silver solder the parts back together if it didn’t bend much before it broke - cast iron comes in many flavors and some bends a little and some doesn’t.  Your input shaft may also be bent a little and it’s easy to determine with a basic machinist dial indicator.  

You may mention to your welder friend that any sewing machine has spent it’s entire life being covered in oil so he’ll need to bake the oil out of the pores before brazing.  This will also reveal any cracks that need to be ground out as thin black lines.  Some machinists put cast iron in the wood stove overnight to bake it out, but heating it up to a dull red with just about anything is all you’ll need.

good luck!

On 7/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, alexitbe said:

as ledermaschinist said... It will be easiest and probably best to bronze or even silver braze... Its not difficult to do....  however, other types of welding take much more skill and knowledge...

Regarding it flying apart at an inconvenient moment.... Why would it?  There is no torque on that part of the fly-wheel... Its the rim and there is no leather drive band...

I thought it was in two parts the one fixed on the machine and the other part to the left and low down, not the chips out of the wheel on the machine, maybe i am wrong

Huge flywheel, I'm assuming this machine is meant for low speed? Wouldn't worry about it. High speed rotation may throw pieces around, at low speed they just tend to fall down - if anything breaks at all, and after a proper repair it shouldn't.