Hi all, I've been enjoying the forum and have slowly been assembling a hobby leather studio in my basement.  I finally got around to making a few items, instead of just messing around.  Here are some pictures.  I'd appreciate any tips or critique I could use to improve future projects.

My first project was a simple card wallet.  I used scrap veg tan from one of those $20, 2 pound scrap bags.  Edges are glued, sanded, wet burnished, and sealed with beeswax.  Finish was simply some neatsfoot, and Tandy's carnauba finish wax.  It has about a month of use on it at this point and the outside is darkening nicely.  I punched the stitch holes from the inside out without a proper backing pad, so I'm not real happy with the stitching appearance on the outside.  Also, I used bonded machine thread to do the saddle stitch, and it has gone somewhat fuzzy on the outside.  Any way to prevent the fraying?

NMT6xJK.jpg

GER5DuF.jpg

fnL6Wpo.jpg

My 2nd project is a holster for a rifle bolt.  The leather is cheap veg tan, I bought off Amazon.  The interior is fully lined with inexpensive glazed black pigskin.  The outside was dyed with Fiebing's Pro Dye in Saddle Tan, with a carnauba wax finish coat.  The edges were sanded, wet burnished, dyed with black industrial sharpie, burnished, beeswaxed, and polished with a cloth.  The machine stitching was done on my modified Singer 95, with 138 bonded nylon, and the hand stitching was done with Tandy's braided waxed thread.  I'm very happy with how things turned out, especially the saddle stitching.  I had done some test pieces to set the tension on my machine, and thought I had it nailed.  A little disappointed when I flipped the project over and saw that it needed more adjustment.  Next time, I will probably use a black bobbin thread, because I don't think the interior stitching really adds any interest.

JD4FrrZ.jpg

9c340TU.jpg

CzsiwC0.jpg

vynMOQN.jpg

On future leather cases like the holster, I'm interested in using an all leather arrangement for closure.  Some sort of strap and loop setup.  Does anyone have some examples of methods of doing this without any metal hardware?

Edited by LederMaschinist

Nice looking work. Your stitching is better than some more experienced folk can manage. I especially like look of the pouch for the rifle bolt.

really nice work!!! but I have to ask why the bolt isn't in the rifle? I use a  button of elk or deer horn with one hole and a leather thong , just one half hitch around the other end of the strap and pulled tight will keep it secure and its easy to loosen. sheath1.thumb.JPG.0038a46b30546d2896370910b42fa676.JPG

Leder those are excellent works. Cant wait to see when you are practiced! Wow...

53 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I have to ask why the bolt isn't in the rifle?

I am guessing the bolt removed from the rifle is a safety feature and/or legal requirement, about the same as not leaving a rifle loaded whilst not being used or whilst it's being transported.

Great job on both projects!  The edges on the holster are amazing.  And I agree with Rockoboy's comment on the stitching.

One suggestion to think about is the thickness of the wallet.  If it works for you, great, but it is too thick for my tastes.  I would keep the thicker shell but use thinner leather for the pockets and probably skive the edges down as well.  Cutting the pockets in a "T" shape also helps reduce thickness.  What I'm afraid of is as you load that sucker with cards it is going to get really plump and might not be so comfortable in your pocket.

Like I said, if you are happy with it, great.  But I would use pockets of about half the thickness of the shell.

Keep it up and make sure to share your next projects!

I agree with Plinker...gonna be nice to see what your work looks like once you've got some more practice under your belt ;) Seriously though, excellent work overall...I especially like the look of that bolt holster...novel concept!