LederMaschinist

All leather closure methods for items like boxes and cases?

Hi all.  

I'm looking for various methods of closing containers like wet formed cases and such.  I know snaps and buckles are always an option, but at this point I'm more interested in methods that don't require any purchased hardware, and are an all leather solution.  Something like a tab that slips through a loop and other possibilities.  Can people share examples here of methods they like to use on their own work, or maybe from examples floating around the internet?  Thanks.

Edited by LederMaschinist

This one I designed awhile back on a prototype but takes up some making time compared to many other fittings.

48_resize.jpg

57_resize.jpg

58_resize.jpg

This pic shows where I made up a metal insert for the tab holder

2_resize.JPG

This shows it before attaching to the bag front piece

3_resize.jpg

Here it is shown attached

29_resize.jpg

Here is another simpler one I just remembered which is more of a friction fit style. As the lid does not get used for lifting the weight the strap only needs to hold itself in place and lock the phone from coming out.

DSC02149_resize.JPG

DSC02150_resize.JPG

DSC02148_resize.JPG

DSC02152_resize.JPG

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

This one I designed awhile back on a prototype but takes up some making time compared to many other fittings.

48_resize.jpg

i love this idea.

How about a toggle? sorry no pictures

A. roll a strip of leather. Glue it as you roll it. Leave the last couple of cms. Punch a hole through the roll. thread a piece of thong/lace through hole. Glue one end of lace along the roll then glue that last couple of cms over the lace. One leather toggle with lace to attach. Attach to bag/box with lace though a hole. 

b. counter part. A loop of lace. each end through a hole in box/bag, large enough for toggle to go through length wise but not for it to go width wise

large.5c0d390b9019f_PurpleheartBag3.jpg.ee36856f7a8b9f36ada955a7bfc46e99.jpg

This is just held by friction, and is working well after a couple of years use.  

- Bill

RockyAussie, your generosity in sharing your methods is nothing short of incredible.

Windsor bag closure: a leather button and some lace:

I didn't like the plain leather button so I replaced it with a fancy metal Celtic concho.

This is a from a Tandy pattern.

IMG_2362.JPG

Some good stuff here.  Thanks for all the replies.

How about some methods that maybe are a little more Old West style, or perhaps Indiana Jones style?

Billy, do you by any chance have a closer shot of those friction "buckles"?

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

RockyAussie, your generosity in sharing your methods is nothing short of incredible.

Thank you @Tugadude TBH it is people like you that make the sharing so rewarding and easy to do.:)

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Windsor bag closure: a leather button and some lace:

I didn't like the plain leather button so I replaced it with a fancy metal Celtic concho.

This is a from a Tandy pattern.

Nice idea that works well.:thumbsup: I can remember doing a similar thing for a hold down on hats.

The Indiana Jones bag is actually a WWII gas mask bag. My dad had one, which he passed on to me, and I found it very useful when I was teaching outdoor education. It's canvas with dome fasteners, and several pockets inside: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=indiana+jones+bag&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLDpBRCxARIsAEENsrK23Ji7_P7aaMz6Mr3TdzpxHgUbhLAp6dyVuArjjXevRFZ8_jjL3w8aAnk6EALw_wcB&hvadid=208428154976&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000736&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9025011960869597833&hvtargid=kwd-302372876131&hydadcr=23338_10093183&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_865h16da4e_e

The construction is very simple. The strap is canvas web with a slider buckle to adjust the length, and it is stitched to the outside of the bag with an x pattern stitch.

As for the leather button, a wood toggle would also work, and actually look a bit better than the button. Or, of course, a deer horn toggle, if you can find one.

Celtic horse bags.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

large.5c0d390a0a4e2_PurpleheartBag2.jpg.a172b45cdea1796f5d4451cee721f18c.jpg

This is not really closer, but a different angle.  If I remember right, the 'keeper loops' are 3/8" and loop through holes in the front of the bag, sewn in at the center.  The straps are 1" wide and the tabs are cut from the ends of the straps and sewn on about half-way around.  Straps didn't really need to go all the way around, but I liked the look.   The gussets are 3/8" purple-heart wood (if I had known how hard that stuff was I would've chosen something else!  They were really hard to shape with hand tools only!).  

- Bill