Old Coach Saddlery

Opinion on Adler 30-70

So I am contemplating yet another sewing machine. I have had Singer 29-4 in the past. But found this Adler 30-70. I have made arrangements to go see how rough it really is. I know parts are pricey but where in the USA do I find parts for it. 

I like that it can use a heavier thread Since I intend on using it to repair English riding boots.  Thought and suggestions?

ebay # 12376717

E2E32A1C-2779-49DE-AE12-6A0ECEA88160.jpeg

Some replacement parts and some needles are available direct from Adler USA. Others from Europe and the UK from private sellers and major dealers. Prepare your heart meds if you need important parts.

If you can buy it for under $1,500 and it is guaranteed to be in working order, grab it. Ask if there are needles included.

The 30-7 and -70 use an extra long needle that is sold as 332LL LG, which are 55mm long (about 2 3/16"). Do not confuse this with system 332LG, which are much shorter.

Wiz I am going to look at the machine on Tuesday. It doesn’t have a needle to test it . I do have needles for a 29-4 patcher, do you think it might work just to see if it will see?

Take bobbin case out of machine.  What you see is shuttle carrier which is what the bobbin case rests in.  Grab the shuttle carrier with your fingers and see how much you can turn it or wiggle it without machine running.  Anything over 1/8" means there is wear in the shuffler carrier  gears, racks and pinions.  It is on a Sutton stand that had a jack shaft as a speed reducer and a regular motor.  If you get it, remove all that stuff and put a speed reducer and servo in.  Much easier to control the speed.   Bob Kovar has needles for the machine.  This machine will use Singer bib bobbin hooks and bobbins.  Keep us posted.

glenn

Thanks  so much I have experience with the singer patchers but not a big Adler. Makes good sense. Very helpful.

4 hours ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

Wiz I am going to look at the machine on Tuesday. It doesn’t have a needle to test it . I do have needles for a 29-4 patcher, do you think it might work just to see if it will see?

Absolutely NOT! Those needles are waaaay too short and won't even reach the throat plate. You need needles that are about 60mm long.

looks like the machine has not been used extensively. Since this is the latest model of the Class 30 with "squared casting" I would not expect serious issues or lots of wear but of course - you never know.

I was able to negotiate a deal. She now sits in my shop waiting to be cleaned and checked. Ordered a few minor parts. As soon as I have my needles we wiser if she will stitch. Fingers  and everything thing else crossed. Lol

hey there, i just got my hands on this Adler 30-70 for $500.  i was thinking this was a great deal as the machine is in very good condition and fully operational.

however, i do not know anything about the needles i need for the machine abd thus i found my way to this topic thread.

i would appreciate any advice on correct needle and thread selection for this machine.  my intent is to perform repair work on my daughter's horse tack and related items.

from this topic thread i gleaned enough to purchase a pack of system 332 LG 120/18 under advisement from the lady at The Thread Exchange but i believe this is the wrong needle, if i have read the previous posts correctly. 

so sorry to be long-winded but i am very confused about proper needle/thread selection... my thanks in advance!

Gerald W.

Screenshot_20221115-060102_Facebook.jpg

GW,

You did very well for $500.00!!!    Ok  30 -1 and 30-10 uses needle system 332 or 135 x 17.  30-7 and 30-70 are both high lift versions.  They need a longer needle.  That needle system is 332LG for round points, 332 LL LG for leather points.  You can get needles from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing.  I have big sizes   #160 and #180.     The longer needles cost more I am afraid.  What size thread you going to be using?  Make sure you get parts list, operations manual and mechanics manual for the machine.   I have found a much better way to use a servo motor on the Sutton stand with shoepatchers.  The jack shaft in the stand originally is not nearly as good as a servo motor.  I can walk you thru it.  It will work much better  Trust me.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

thanks for such a quick response!  what i have now is 332 LG with "R" point 120/18... and the thread is a bonded nylon blend sized for the needle???

i don't really know what thread or how to know what thread to use...  i think i understand that a "larger" needle will accept a  bigger thread but what combos go with what materials ??

is there a guide available somewhere on the site?

4 hours ago, Gerald Whitehurst said:

i don't really know what thread or how to know what thread to use...  i think i understand that a "larger" needle will accept a  bigger thread but what combos go with what materials ??

is there a guide available somewhere on the site?

Ask and ye shall receive! Go here for a needle and thread chart.

Wizcrafts, thank you and i took a look at that chart!

I have an Adler 30-70 and I have problems with the presser foot leaving marks on the leather. Any fixes for this?

The teeth are important for feeding the material so thats normal and in the nature of this machine. Some folks but shrink tube on the foot but as you can imagine this can cause issues with feeding the material.