wheeldawg

Should I do that? Looking for opinions

Hello folks.

I am mostly a lurker, and generally come on here to find out how to do stuff and admire the work many of you do. I learn and see some good stuff on here.

I am making a leather case for a friend that is close to finishing school for becoming a makeup artist. The case will be used to hold supplies and work from while doing the trade on movie/stage sets.

My original intent had been to use colors on the various studio names on the front/top of the case, much like I already have with the makeup brands that are on the strips that go around the lid perimeter.

I had one friend comment that they thought I should leave all that on the top natural, as-is.

I just wanted to get other's opinions on this and see what the general consensus might be.

On the one hand, it seems I should stay with the same theme as the lid perimeter, but on the other hand, I do not plan to use any color on anything else on the side/edges of the case, other than some black silhouettes similar to her name on the top. 

Please let me know what you think. I know it looks rough, and I'm just a beginner, but she will still love it.

Thanks in advance.

Claude

1557932168_topstripsR.jpg.9446b86da54a4d2fd5f93a6adc59f0cc.jpgcasetop40R.jpg.fab09791c35e5e52dd859d968b3a438a.jpg

If it were me, I would follow what you are already doing. 

On a side note, if you did the apron on the lid in a black as with her name I think that would look pretty smart.

Keep having fun. The elevated techniques will come with more practice. You can do this stuff for years learning something new on every different project.

Edited by bikermutt07

I agree with Bikermutt,  Years have been invested with many a student.   Have fun with it !  

Follow your art!  I like the colors you have done and would color the others similarly.  Have fun no wrong answer!!  Your choices are what will make it special.

Would there be trademark issues using all those brands names?

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Only if 'wheeldawg'  was to make money out of it and/or start manufacturing them for profit . But the way I read it, its a leaving  gift  for a friend finishing school .  

HS 

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

If it were me, I would follow what you are already doing. 

On a side note, if you did the apron on the lid in a black as with her name I think that would look pretty smart.

Keep having fun. The elevated techniques will come with more practice. You can do this stuff for years learning something new on every different project.

I'm not sure what you mean by "apron". Can you elaborate please?

Thanks

1 hour ago, wheeldawg said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "apron". Can you elaborate please?

Thanks

Will the lid have sides that come down over the box? That's what I was meaning. 

6 hours ago, chrisash said:

Yes Chris there is, I know I am unpopular for saying so, but there you go. Trademark Law is one of the biggest earners for lawyers.

Whether they get called on the usage or not is a wholly different thing.

You may choose to ignore the speed laws, and go at 100 in a 60 zone, but unless you are caught, you will get away with it. If you are caught you may get let off with a mumbled don't do it again or a cease and desist.

Its still stealing someone's intellectual property, even if you make no profit or incur costs to give it as a gift its a breach of copyright or trademark.

H

(sits back and waits for the barrage of naysayers)

Edited by hwinbermuda

1 hour ago, hwinbermuda said:

(sits back and waits for the barrage of naysayers)

I'm not going to disagree with you because you are factually correct. However, he's not using any of the companies logos or any intellectual property. Simply mentioning the company name isn't a violation. I think any decent lawyer could argue that what he's done is no different than mentioning a company name in a news article. His choice of media happens to be leather. There is something called "fair use" in copyright law that allows anyone to mention brand names and such.

3 minutes ago, TargetRockLeather said:

I'm not going to disagree with you because you are factually correct. However, he's not using any of the companies logos or any intellectual property. Simply mentioning the company name isn't a violation. I think any decent lawyer could argue that what he's done is no different than mentioning a company name in a news article. His choice of media happens to be leather. There is something called "fair use" in copyright law that allows anyone to mention brand names and such.

T an extent I'd agree, but in the first picture there is a movement towards the trademarks in fonts and colours. But its not my look out, I was accused of cyber bullying last time I raised this. so really I was only agreeing with @chrisash

I have been through cases on TM infringement from the trademark owners position, and I know that there are some on the forum that do not respect intellectual property as much as a few of us do. It is what has curtailed my input significantly.

3 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

I have been through cases on TM infringement from the trademark owners position, and I know that there are some on the forum that do not respect intellectual property as much as a few of us do. It is what has curtailed my input significantly.

Understood. Just to be clear, in no way do I condone TM/Copyright infringement. In this case, and in my opinion, he's not trying to copy anyone's trademark so I doubt anyone would complain.

Also; I do not feel like I'm being bullied :)

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Will the lid have sides that come down over the box? That's what I was meaning. 

Oh OK. The strips in the one picture are what will be around the perimeter of the top and come down to meet the sides of the box.

I will do a Spanish braid (I think that is what it is called) along the bottom edge of those strips, and then along the top edge of the sides where they both meet. I will use magnetic snaps, two at each front corner, and two more at third-points along the front, for closure. For the most part, it will always be open, but was planning to use those for closing it up and carrying it around.

Thanks for all the input!

Thanks to all for all the input and discussion.