RockyAussie

Someone in Oz to take my 2mm veg split FREE

I HATE waste but I am running out of ideas on how to use up enough of this left over split leather for belt backing. I use quite a lot up in fillers for my dress belts for which they are most excellent but I have now thousands of these strips and they will have to be dumped if nobody wants them. This last lot of 787 I just finished is 40mm wide by average 2mm thick. It could be used for making up door mats or dog beds if you dabble with wood making as well, but both of these are out of my normal marketing areas.

DSC05036_resize.JPG

I could re cut to a preferred size if wanted for very little $

DSC04980_resize.JPG

Or split thinner as well :dunno:

DSC04986_resize.JPG

This is my next lot of dress belt fillers I am working on at the moment (tutorial in progress)

DSC05012_resize.JPG

Here they are shown attached to the backings

DSC05078_resize.JPG

This is where some of the last lot are used (Wife's idea:Lighten:).....:unsure:

DSC05040_resize.JPG

DSC05042_resize.JPG

I am running out of tractor tyres HELP (THIS IS NOT FUNNY):mad:

Brian

Maybe a arts college would find a use for them, especially fashion design etc or crafts

5 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Maybe a arts college would find a use for them, especially fashion design etc or crafts

Thanks @chrisash. I'm not sure if there is much around here in Rocky but I might contact the Uni here and see.:wave:

The Art Gallery there might be able to point you in the right direction

Glue and stitch back-to-back to make low-cost "rough out" belts? Maybe not good enough for Wild Harry but if you could produce them fast enough they'd be plenty strong enough for a lower-price leather belt.

Depending on the lengths you could scarf them together and make those fly screens for doors where they hang down in strips and keep flying insects out, I seem to remember you have the odd fly in Australia or alternatively sell as leather straps to wrap around garden tools like spades and fork handles

Hopefully the uni can use them.... any group doing arts stuff... scouts.. retirement homes...churches...

smaller strips and weave em together for floor matts...

YinTx

10 hours ago, Matt S said:

Glue and stitch back-to-back to make low-cost "rough out" belts? Maybe not good enough for Wild Harry but if you could produce them fast enough they'd be plenty strong enough for a lower-price leather belt.

Yea I like the idea but I already have orders going back over a year now and I was thinking that someone wanting to get a cheap start off might be able to make use of it. I could supply maybe 500 a month and I have a few thousand here all ready. They do weave together and look not too bad as well.

9 hours ago, chrisash said:

as leather straps to wrap around garden tools like spades and fork handles

I have not seen that before but maybe:dunno:

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

Hopefully the uni can use them.... any group doing arts stuff... scouts.. retirement homes...churches...

smaller strips and weave em together for floor matts...

YinTx

Why smaller strips? They are just over 1 1/2" wide. I could strip them in half but that makes for twice as much weaving :unsure:

I was tempted to make up a wooden rectangle out of some 3x2 and staple the strips across to make a weave then cover the top with a thinner piece of wood strip around the edges, Pop a few 6" legs in the inner corners and you have a flash looking dog bed. For anyone into doin dog collars it could be a good addition to the range.

11 hours ago, Chain said:

The Art Gallery there might be able to point you in the right direction

Thanks mate I will check them out. You know Townsville is only a 8 hour drive away.........if you are coming through sometime drop in for a chat  and a coffee.:cheers:

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Why smaller strips? They are just over 1 1/2" wide. I could strip them in half but that makes for twice as much weaving :unsure:

True that, you could just get to weavin, and stitch a binder strip around the edges, vioala area rug for the work room.  But my thinking was simply smaller strips might be more comfy.... If they are strong enough, you could weave chair backs out of them, etc...I like the dog bed idea... you could do lots of things in that path..

YinTx

Rocky, do you guys have youth organizations like boyscouts/girlscouts or a youth center that does arts and crafts?  The first thing that came to mind when I looked at them was that is a metric tonne of bookmarks.

Reckon they'd get eaten as dog beds - my mob would, anyway :unsure:  Doesn't help that I use leather and suede training tugs. Generous offer, Brian! Let me do some thinking - no way would I use up that much though!

If anyone in QLD/NSW is keen, we might be able to tee-up pickup/dropoff, I'm heading south through Rocky in mid-September to the west edge of Sydney (The Hills and Hawksbury area) and then to Tamworth. 

Edited by BarkyKelpie

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks mate I will check them out. You know Townsville is only a 8 hour drive away.........if you are coming through sometime drop in for a chat  and a coffee.:cheers:

Will do !!
I lived in Rocky quite a while back. The Dunmore Horel was my haunting ground and I was working out at Lakes Creek.   Probably about 1981

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

If they are strong enough, you could weave chair backs out of them, etc

They would be easily strong enough for that and makes me think of a chair that we over here call a squatters chair. The back and seat are all one and can be reclined back and have a sort of fold out footrest. I like it but again not my market. :wave:

5 hours ago, BarkyKelpie said:

Reckon they'd get eaten as dog beds - my mob would, anyway :unsure:  Doesn't help that I use leather and suede training tugs. Generous offer, Brian! Let me do some thinking - no way would I use up that much though!

If anyone in QLD/NSW is keen, we might be able to tee-up pickup/dropoff, I'm heading south through Rocky in mid-September to the west edge of Sydney (The Hills and Hawksbury area) and then to Tamworth. 

That sounds like a great idea. I am 5minutes south of the Caves just off the highway. Give me a message when your about to leave and I will pm you an exact location if you need it.

1 hour ago, Chain said:

The Dunmore Horel was my haunting ground

Now is that a bit of the Irish in ya ....or just the R next to the T on yoo keyboard.:P.I'm a bit closer to the Caves pub myself......just over 2 k North.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Aven said:

Rocky, do you guys have youth organizations like boyscouts/girlscouts or a youth center that does arts and crafts?  The first thing that came to mind when I looked at them was that is a metric tonne of bookmarks.

A metric tonne of bookmarks at least and more than any library could use I reckon. I don't know about any local groups but I am sure there are some. I will chase that down after Christmas  if no members here can make use of them first.

Hi Brian, Thank you for your kind offer. Cost of delivery is a major consideration. Can you take a guess (or try to see) how many you can get into the largest mailing tube, then check the weight so we can guestimate the delivery cost.

I do not have a commercial operation to use all that you have, but I know some people who might like to make a few belts, bit n pieces.

Wanna go halves in postage for some Rokoboy??

"Now is that a bit of the Irish in ya ....or just the R next to the T on yoo keyboard."

Well it was a typo, but it could also fit  lol

6 hours ago, noobleather said:

Wanna go halves in postage for some Rokoboy??

Sounds good to me mate. Depending on if @RockyAussie wants to mess around with a few dozen, how heavy they are and the cost of a postage tube-full, I was planning to offer them around to anybody local to me who wants some.

Here the supermarkets stick a buckle on them ( split strips ) and call them genuine leather belts.."cuir veritable"
Just today I saw an "artisan" selling belts made using 2 / 3mm splits at a street craft market..€30.00 each..( again "geniune leather" / "cuir veritable" with a €3.00 buckle included in the price..each belt had been put through a roller to give it what was described as "carved" design, then dyed and given a top coat..He was "adjusting them" to fit..cutting the ends , making holes..no stitching at all ..all belts had a simple crease line at along the edges 5mm from both top and bottom edge..it did not go to the point..

Pure misrepresented crap..he was telling people that he was a master craftsman, who made them all himself by hand*..

Selling like "hot cakes"..in 15 minutes of watching he sold 10..it was not a busy day..small seaside town craft fair..

* I bit my tongue..took some photos..

5 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Sounds good to me mate. Depending on if @RockyAussie wants to mess around with a few dozen, how heavy they are and the cost of a postage tube-full, I was planning to offer them around to anybody local to me who wants some.

I would be happy to. I will get back to you on Monday after I get a chance to look into the mailing costs etc.

Cheers thanks for that

11 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I will get back to you on Monday

Thank you for your assistance.

I think some handmade stores would accept this, it's a great material to make leather accessories like bracers, earings, bels etc.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, Rockoboy said:

Hi Brian, Thank you for your kind offer. Cost of delivery is a major consideration. Can you take a guess (or try to see) how many you can get into the largest mailing tube, then check the weight so we can guestimate the delivery cost.

I do not have a commercial operation to use all that you have, but I know some people who might like to make a few belts, bit n pieces.

OK the best I could find online from Australia post is a 5 kilo satchel for around $18.00 + - and the weight is an average of  .14kilo per strip. By my reckoning that is about 35 strips. That is about 1.4m+ leather split in total. Packing them into boxes is the best but as to what weight and size is best to get them to you I cant say. If you can think of anything better please let me know. 

Regards Brian

PM sent.