StarofJordan

Reconditioning vintage suede jacket??help!!?

Hi ALL

-tried doing a general search on this. No luck. If anyone can direct me to previously posted info pertaining to this subject that’s greatly appreciated! Thanks for your attention and answers in advance!

- I have a vintage suede jacket with fringe on it dating back maybe 20 to 30 years this jacket  is very dry and obviously not very supple. 

- I am trying to find information on how to add some moisture to this hide.  I already know how to clean it. I need to add moisture to the hide. Or??!

-what kind of products are out there that I can put on it? ( please suggest products that you use/have used)

-Can I spray some oil on it or maybe even on the back of the hide to help with the moisture content? And can I use a natural/vegetable oil, like almond oil or coconut oil? Or?? Versus an animal (mink or other)  I don’t really care if it darkens the color. 

-has anybody ever tried hair conditioner or a hair product that maybe has some properties in it then that may help the suede? 

Any methods and products that someone has actually used and keeps using, because it works?? 

Thank you, Jordan

WOW! What a question. I am following this one, because I have no idea on where to begin.

I've nothing to offer except an observation that using any oil, or conditioner, or any other product that's not designed for use on leather -- please note that I'm picturing you reaching into the kitchen cabinet or shower stall for these sort of things :P -- might have the tendency to go rancid after a while. I could be totally and completely wrong on both the picture in my head and the possibility of any of it going rancid.