Hi everyone,

I have a question. Is there a need or a want for people to learn saddlery (English, I don’t know western) Classes for beginners, advanced, bridle marking, repairs, saddle flocking etc. 

Would love your thoughts!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, MasterSaddlerKate said:

Would love your thoughts!

This is just a guess, but it seems you would be more likely to find potential students if anyone knew what part of the country you're located in.

Yes, got it! Thank you. 

It’s actually written in my profile but I am currently resident in IL. I spend the winter (Nov - Aprl) in Wellington, FL. The rest of the year I cover MN, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH, VA, NJ, NY, MA, NC and SC. 

Hope that helps!

Bit far away from Texas, but if it was closer and the price was right I'd probably consider it.

YinTx

Wow...

Born in the UK, Kate Ballard, a Suffolk native, has wanted to make saddles since 11 years old. At the age of 15 she left school and started her career under the tutelage of Tony Russell and Ken Langford. Kate showed such aptitude for the trade and craft she was quickly offered a place at the prestigious Cordwainers College in London. There for 3 years she studied saddle making, bridle making, harness making, biomechanics of horse and rider, the muscular system and skeletal frame of the horse and finally lorinery, the study of bits. During her time at Cordwainers College Kate entered a competition for The Prince of Wales Award for Rural Crafts, not only did she win her class with her hand made saddle she also won overall champion. Kate graduated Cordwainers College after completing all C&G exams for Rural Saddlery. With the highest honours Kate received the gold medal for best student. 

Kate was then offered a four year formal apprenticeship with Geoff Dean, Master Saddler and Harness maker in West Sussex, England. Throughout her apprenticeship Kate continued to excel in her trade, winning the Society of Master Saddlers competition in London. Making Saddlery for Tina Gifford (now....) Britain’s 3 Day Eventing Olympic medalist. She was requested to make a bridle for the Kings Troop to be presented by Princess Anne at the Royal Tournament, Earls Court, London. 

After 7 years of training and working Kate’s love for her home in Suffolk beckoned and she was offered her an opportunity as a Journeyman in a local Saddlery for 2 years. 

After 9 years of education, exams, training, assessments, dedication, persistence and sheer hard work Kate earned her status as a Master Saddler and Professional Saddle Fitter, the dream she’d had from the age of 11 had come true. 

Kate’s reputation, high standards  and professional ethics have made her a sought after commodity. In Dec 2002 Kate moved to the U.S. Bringing her wealth of knowledge and skill to a Country where sadly no education for this unique trade is provided she has endeavored to teach and educate those in the equestrian industry. Since being in the US Kate has lectured on the SMS overseas Saddle Fitting Courses, taught apprentices and most recently consulted for the U.S Paralympic Dressage team who won medals for the first time ever in an International Competition at The WEG in 2018.

I believe there is already a master saddlery school in Maryland that holds classes twice a year.  But it is always nice to have another option. You can always learn something new. You never stop discovering new ways and skills.

I just replied to your other post, wonderig what part of Illinois you reside in.  I would be interested in information on the courses/education/instruction you might offer.  There is minimal English work around my part of the country, and about half of what I get I turn away.  I have stated that if there was an option to study without flying across the country, or the world, I would strongly consider it.