Stewbeans22

WTB really cheap walking foot machine

Hello all I am new to the world of leather work. 

I have ave made a few wallets and Dopp kits. I love the way hand stitched foods look but it just takes time. I have a Singer 4452 Heavy Duty but it won’t go through 2 layers of 4-5 oz. 

I'm looking for a cheap walking foot machine to be able to do 2-3 layers of up to 5-6 oz. 

I would be interested in a trade plus a couple bucks depending on the machine. 

Thanks in advance,

Stew

The machine I mentioned in the pm won't handle that weight.

@koreric75 you got one that will work for this guy?

I haven't really had a chance to try it. My friend and I got it turning ok, but it has been at his house ever since. It is a head only, but tables and servo motors are cheap. It was originally a walking foot binding machine without reverse. It will probably handle wallets fine. There isn't much in the way of information on the internet about it.

A cheap walking foot alternative that should be able to handle your thickness of leather maybe a portable walking foot similar to the Reliable Barracuda that can be had for about $500 US new at Home depot.

9 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Being nosey but which machine are you discussing?

kgg

9 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

@koreric75 you got one that will work for this guy?

I don't think so, not reliably, it's more than getting through the material and forming a stitch.  As you know, if you are newer, the speed you need to maintain to keep that stitch forming can be hard to manage...lol.  For myself, I gave up on the "cheap" option and bought the CB3200, it is versatile enough to sew a dopp kit, bag, or holster and heavy belts/harnesses.  I do have my adler, which is handy for it's own applications, but use the cowboy 90% of the time.

5 minutes ago, kgg said:

A cheap walking foot alternative that should be able to handle your thickness of leather maybe a portable walking foot similar to the Reliable Barracuda that can be had for about $500 US new at Home depot.

Being nosey but which machine are you discussing?

kgg

I believe it is the 108W3...it is an old singer and very hard to find any documentation on.  I got it spinning and it feels good but haven't made a stitch with it yet.  I also have an old 78-1 that we determined the drive rod is bent so will not stitch right.

I might have been a little ambitious looking for a machine to see something of the thicker sizes I mentioned. 

Id love a cowboy but just beginning my budget is much lower than that. 

I was hoping to get something that could sew a 207 thread. The best my singer 4452 will do is 92 thread. Looking for the thicker thread capability because I like the hand stitched look with out the time it takes to hand stitch. 

Thats really my ultimate goal. Even if the machine can do average thickness and I hand stitch the real thick parts I’d be ok with that. 

18 hours ago, Stewbeans22 said:

I'm looking for a cheap walking foot machine

Aren't we all......

CD in Oklahoma

9 hours ago, Stewbeans22 said:

I might have been a little ambitious looking for a machine to see something of the thicker sizes I mentioned. 

Id love a cowboy but just beginning my budget is much lower than that. 

I was hoping to get something that could sew a 207 thread. The best my singer 4452 will do is 92 thread. Looking for the thicker thread capability because I like the hand stitched look with out the time it takes to hand stitch. 

Thats really my ultimate goal. Even if the machine can do average thickness and I hand stitch the real thick parts I’d be ok with that. 

I can get away with 207 on the top in my adler, but it does miss stitches at times, but that's the max...it does 138 great though... i paid $400 for the machine, table & servo motor.  Most thickness i've used it was some 4/5oz bridle to some floppy soft leather for the zip strip on a dopp kit.  You can see i had to go over a couple spots twice... IMG_20190215_211112135.jpg