I usually make wrapped, wet formed knife sheaths that hug the guard to keep the knife secure.  I saw a video someone made of this type build and I decided to give it a try.  I have a pretty old Golden Spike that I got used and abused and have been sanding the pits off the blade and cleaning it up so I decided this could be its new home. 

This sheath is a comedy of errors, and if I had only taken notes while watching the video, most could have been avoided, but it is how I learn most of the time.  The lower back stitching makes me want to gag because it had to be drilled with my press and the holes never quite match up on the bottom, thus the darker thread to try and hide behind.  Upper part is hand stitched which, I'm getting better at each time I think.  The flap idea was out of the blue, and the piece of scrap leather turned out to have several very thin slices going through its surface.  Didn't see a hint of this until after wet forming and letting it dry.  (could be a testimonial on why you shouldn't buy cheap leather, which I did) I might be doing a more traditional flap next time with the thumb stud on the lower and the strap coming across diagonal like most everyone else would have.  The layers were a major pain to stitch and pliers were a necessity, and with the difficulty I have drilling holes, I'm thinking that punching the holes a layer at a time as I add the next layer, using the previous holes as pilots to punch the next layer etc. might be the way to go.  I just can't seem to use the drill press to any degree of accuracy.   Looks good going in, but out the other side could be anywhere.  I need help here.  Maybe my drill press is wobbly.  It turns true but maybe the bearings are allowing the bit to pick a path, so to speak.  It seems deadly accurate drilling wood etc.  Leather usually isn't perfectly flat when I drill it so maybe it is just a geometry issue that I can't get past.  Like learning how to play raquetball, I ran myself nearly to death and felt totally worthless until I mastered the geometry.

This is what the spike looked like when I got it:

340798565_GoldenSpike.jpg.7d47ecec879c046cfa7b0f9b38b3c49a.jpg

I still have some work to do on the spike but it looks way better:

1260395451_spikesheath1sm.thumb.jpg.a5f9d51e2cbb0df8770f236408136aeb.jpg

268225197_spikesheath6sm.thumb.jpg.91cf6c629b4a4056353ab3b7fbfe5942.jpg

1730903594_spikesheath5sm.thumb.jpg.7de6ff984277e894770058036c2fada3.jpg

1290006691_spikesheath2sm.thumb.jpg.f7b85efde61e477fbf1c8f4075da8afb.jpg

AAK!

545354399_spikesheath3sm.thumb.jpg.46c951b8b772c60acb60bad562388d7b.jpg

Feedback appreciated!

P.S. the center is Fiebings oxblood dye then the entire case is coated with Eco-Flow Antique Hi-Lite stain Briar Brown and wiped off after a minute or two with a paper towel to get the light brown antique color.  The stain darkens the oxblood just a little, which I kindof like.  The flap is neatsfoot oiled then dabbed around the edges with the oxblood stain using a paper towel.  And I just noticed that I didn't burnish the edges of the flap yet!

Thanks,

Edited by dougfergy
Forgot the stain

Great design and I love your stamping pattern on the front.  That's an ingenious strap you came up with, quick release I'd think. Why did you use two different thread colors, just curious.

Great Job!

Vikefan

7 minutes ago, Vikefan said:

Great design and I love your stamping pattern on the front.  That's an ingenious strap you came up with, quick release I'd think. Why did you use two different thread colors, just curious.

Great Job!

Vikefan

I was trying to hide the bad hole drilling I did on the lower part.  The holes were pretty straight on the front, but crooked enough that I went with brown thread so the crookedness wouldn't stand out on the front.  No hiding the back.  When I make one from the patterns with my notes on what not to do (like cutting two back pieces and no front--second back piece had the flap attached but facing the wrong way, fuzzy side out! stuff like that) cause I was all over the place with this one, I will be able to make it better and use one color of thread!

Unusual that you placed a Star stamp in the middle of the "arrowhead" formed by the basket weave.    

I would like to make a suggestion.  I noticed the metal belt clip on your sheath. 

I stopped making my sheaths with that belt clip, as I had an old Original Leatherman when I was working at a hospital, and I ended up loosing it 5-6 years ago, knife and all (no one was honest enough to turn it in).  From that point on I made solid loops, so that the sheath can only slide on or off the belt and it is more secure.  People are more likely to notice that, and it could save people from losing their items.

Again, purely a suggestion.

Vikefan

Very good!

Nigel Armitage has made some videos on punching holes through several layers of leather whilst keeping the holes lined up, which you might find useful

'Multi Layer' ; and several videos on making pouches with pre punched layers  - these are masterclasses on precise, methodical leatherwork, and well worth watching. Just Search for 'making pouches'

I drilled my first ever stitching holes for a pistol holster the other day, glued the thing together,  made sure the edge was square then used a piece of wood as a guide  along the edge, with a piece under just the edge also to drill into, worked pretty well. I grooved the front first then played connect the dots with the groover on the backside, the grooves helped straighten the stitching a bit. Your sheath looks great. 

9 hours ago, Vikefan said:

I would like to make a suggestion.  I noticed the metal belt clip on your sheath. 

I stopped making my sheaths with that belt clip, as I had an old Original Leatherman when I was working at a hospital, and I ended up loosing it 5-6 years ago, knife and all (no one was honest enough to turn it in).  From that point on I made solid loops, so that the sheath can only slide on or off the belt and it is more secure.  People are more likely to notice that, and it could save people from losing their items.

Vikefan

That's a great point.  I actually have a reason for the clip on this one.  It is an overly fancy case for a hunting knife that will spend most of its life in my backpack until I need to get it out to field dress a deer.  Both my regular hunting knife that I've used for years and the spike fit this sheath.  Being able to clip it on my belt, or pocket, or if it is cold, my jacket or overalls pocket temporarily without having to unstrap my belt is why I use a clip.  My current hunting knife that I built years ago has a wet formed wrap around sheath that is built with the clip for the same reason.  Problem has always been that when I want to unsheath the knife the sheath is so well formed around the knife guard the whole sheath and knife come off my belt or whatever I have it clipped to.  I went with the straight, non-tight sheath to be able to put the knife in or out without the sheath coming off with the knife.  I usually get in the truck after field dressing a deer and unclip the knife/sheath from my pants and clip it on my visor as a reminder that when I get home I need to take it in and wash the knife before I leave it in my backpack for any period of time!

My EDC sheaths or pouches are all solid loops that you have to slide on a belt.

7 hours ago, zuludog said:

Very good!

Nigel Armitage has made some videos on punching holes through several layers of leather whilst keeping the holes lined up, which you might find useful

'Multi Layer' ; and several videos on making pouches with pre punched layers  - these are masterclasses on precise, methodical leatherwork, and well worth watching. Just Search for 'making pouches'

Cool!  Thanks for that.  I definitely will be watching those videos.

14 hours ago, resqman said:

Unusual that you placed a Star stamp in the middle of the "arrowhead" formed by the basket weave.    

I'm a star junkie.  Had to find somewhere to put a star.  I think the star was my first stamp...  and I'm from Texas. 

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I drilled my first ever stitching holes for a pistol holster the other day, glued the thing together,  made sure the edge was square then used a piece of wood as a guide  along the edge, with a piece under just the edge also to drill into, worked pretty well. I grooved the front first then played connect the dots with the groover on the backside, the grooves helped straighten the stitching a bit. Your sheath looks great. 

You'd never know but I've used the drill for years on and off.  Just never enough to master it.  I usually do use the grover and stitch wheel to make my marks for the holes.  I just started using the pricking forks and an awl a few months ago.  I got caught in the middle of nowhere on this piece and it looks like I drilled during an earthquake.  I'll be practicing the methods y'all have mentioned and watching the videos.  Thanks by the way!

On 7/19/2019 at 2:17 AM, Vikefan said:

Vikefan

I agree. I only use clips on IWB’s. OWB’s I only use loops or oblong holes (whatever they are called).

Edited by BruceEW

On 10/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, BruceEW said:

I agree. I only use clips on IWB’s. OWB’s I only use loops or oblong holes (whatever they are called).

Normally I do use loops but this sheath is serving a particular purpose and I need to be able to clip and un-clip a lot when using it so that's why the clip and not the loop in this case.  I don't carry it full time.  It stays in my backpack and gets used when I have a deer or hog down.  It gets clipped on whatever outer garment I am wearing at the time, gets un-clipped to move to a different garment as I shed layers while I am skinning and quartering an animal, clipped to my truck visor etc.