Kolton45

Lots of questions about wallet making

Hi so I just recently started making wallets so far I've only done 3 bill folds and one of the questions I have is carving on the spine of the wallet I've noticed alot of people leave the spine untooled  is there any problems with carving a pattern on the whole wallet?another question is there any kind of cookie cutter type things you can have made for a reasonable price and use with just a maul just interested for card pockets cause I'm having trouble keeping those suckers consistent and last question for the moment is buck stitching vs saddle stitching I normally just saddle stitch everything but I'd like to start buck stitching and figured a wallet would be better for the first project vs a long belt but I just wasnt sure how durable buckstitching is and also what size lace fits best for wallets and belts right now all I have is 1/8th white kangaroo

Edited by Kolton45

The main problem with carving the bend (spine) of the wallet is, the design will flatten out fairly quickly, and may ruin the look of the wallet.

The 'cookie cutter' knives you are looking for are called clicker knives. There are several listed around on this site, some are heavy duty made out of forged steel and will last for years. Other less expensive clickers knives are made from steel rule type of thin band material, which will work for a while, but less durable. Usually used with a clicker press or shop press, but I have heard of a maul/hammer version. (Somebody with more experience may be along really soon).

Buckstitching? Do you mean lacing? That white roo lace will look amazing on a wallet, if you take your time and get a job done with it. (I bet it wasn't cheap!) Personally, I would use some less expensive plain lacing on a few smaller jobs, like a dozen drink coasters. This will help you to learn how the lacing performs, what looks better, what to do and what avoid.

Good luck with whatever you do, and don't forget .. all the world loves a picture or two.

Ok that makes sence with the tooling flattening out I didnt even think of that and I'm gona had to look up some of these companies about the clicker knifes just to make card pockets faster and more consistent and I will also be sure to post pictures of the wallet when I'm done hopefully I can get it done soon but working 6 12s leaves little time for any hobby haha