Sign in to follow this  
jrprottas

Basic Bag Bottom Design

This will be my first leatherwork project.   I'm interested in making a small single strap sling bag. I plan to use 5-6 oz leather and want a "turned" (inside out) design.

Pictured are several BASIC design approaches.  Do you folks have experience in actually building a bag with these designs?  What are the pros and cons of each? Which do you prefer and why? Can you suggest modifications that would add interest to these designs?

These approaches are somewhat boring. Would I have to abandon the inside/out approach to come up with a more unique design?  

Alot of the bags I like use "darts" or deliberate folds in the leather. How the heck do you do that???

.Any help conceptualizing this would be totally appreciated. 

Thank you, Jeff

20190718_073814.jpg

I've done the; 5 pc, the #1 3pc and the #2 3pc. 

5 pc: round the bottom corners of the front and back panels to ease the gusset pieces around. Sew the bottom gusset piece to the two side gussets first

#1 3 pc: round the bottoms of the gusset side pieces

#2 3 pc is just the 5 pc without the base being separate and needing sewing.

Rounding the bottom corners can be just a small curve right up to a quarter or half circle. Not only eases attaching and sewing the gusset but also square corners get bashed in rather quickly giving the bag a bad look

This is a type #2 3pc ( sorry, its an old photo), soft leather for a continuous gusset, rounded corners on front and back panels

440688231_SmallChristianpouch01s.jpg.6f5b32d830a65f23d049c77c1dd6b864.jpg

Thanks Fred for your input.  Which of these holds the shape better? I'm afraid the #1 3pc would sag. Are the side gussets enough to hold a squarish shape?  With a continuous front/back do you have to crease the front and back edges to square it off? Or add a rectangular bottom piece inside the bag? Thanks again

Most of my bags are made; two layers thin leather on front or back panel with compressed cardboard in between the layers. If its a one piece front panel/base/back panel/flap it gets 4 individual pieces of card, each cut to allow for glued and sewn edges and allowance for the corner to become the next piece. The gussets are sometimes made the same way, or done as a single layer if its your #2 3 pc, as in the belt bag above, which is now about 20 years old. I like bags to compress or expand to the limit of the gusset.

As for keeping the bag on square its up to how thick the leather is and if you add re-enforcement