mountain mama

Redoing Seat on Kentucky Spring set saddle, what kind of thread to use?

Hello everyone, I would consider myself a beginner although I have sewed all my life. I have worked with upholstery for many years, however I  need a little guidance, input or whatever advice you have to offer. I will be redoing the seat on my Kentucky springset saddle. I will be doing a quilting style known as trapunto. This is where you quilt a pattern into the leather with a cloth backing, then poke little holes in the clothe and stuff it with small bits of wool to make raised patterns. You can see examples of this if you look up the Minihan Saddle or Kentucky stitch down saddle. This saddle is my personal saddle that I have road for the past five years. I expect the saddle to have to endure many more years of heavy riding. What type of thread would you use for the quilting? I will either hand quilt it or use my old singer pedal type machine. What type of material would best for the backing? Any thoughts? Please share.

I don't know anything about saddles, never done any upholstery, never done any quilting, My threads are on spools, a few different colours, I think some is linen and some is poly-something, no idea of which is better for what ... that's all I have to offer ... sorry I have nothing to offer.

Well, Mountain Momma, . . . transplanted Ky boy here, . . . now a buckeye, . . . 

But a few years ago, I got real sick and tired of my thread busting on some things I would sew.

Went to Joann Fabric, . . . found their carpet thread, . . . comes in several colors, . . . sews with every machine I've got (except my Tippmann Boss), . . . and I just about double dog dare anyone to rip those stitches out.

It is pretty much all I use any more:  zippers, . . . chaps, . . . vests, . . . 

Should work well on your saddle too I would think.

May God bless,

Dwight