George1520

Thread tension issues

I have a Consew 199 that I have been using tho sew split leather. Mostly, zig zagging small  pieces together. I didn’t use it in a while but when I tried to used it today there was a bunch of thread on the back side of the leather. I tried to loosen the bobbin tension opened increase the top thread tension,  it didn’t help.

I check the hook timing, needle height, take up spring. All look good. I also swap the hook, bobbin case, thread tensioner from another machine. 

Any ideas what else can I do. There are no skipped stitches, and the thread goes around the bobbin without catching. 

Thank you  

I think a Photo would help me to help you. You can get problems like this if the pressure on your presser foot is too low, so the fabric is lifted in parts of the sewing cycle. Did you check needle size or swap needle?

I still don’t understand what happens but I fix it. 

It only happens with suede leather (thicker material) and when it is at longest stitch length. As soon as I reduced the stitch length it started  working  like it supposed to work 

2 hours ago, George1520 said:

I still don’t understand what happens but I fix it. 

It only happens with suede leather (thicker material) and when it is at longest stitch length. As soon as I reduced the stitch length it started  working  like it supposed to work 

That is a combo straight/zigzag stitch ? , & Drop/bottom Feed  ? .. Probably nothing wrong with the thread tension all by itself .

That a good machine, but when you start stretching out the stitch With that Machine and feed, ( bottom/drop feed ) .
It a combo problem of the Suede most likely the material and grabby texture under Foot & when you ( Stretch-out the stitch length ) .  The Suede not feeding in unison with the Dog and giving you all that slop on the bottom side .

I run a couple drop-feeds along with walk foot/needle feed/unison feed . and that ( I find ) is common problem with different materials with bottom-feed only and certain materiel under the press-foot and texture of certain materials that don't flow well under the Foot . Stretching the stitch size Big just accentuates problem and it not flow unison with the Dog under the Foot. You will get that Sloppy thread mess underside .
Try slowing down stitch-speed and with pressure-foot tension. maybe try a Teflon Foot . Try to figure out a good-Happy stitch length it will flow with .

Best way to fix is to run a materials 'pull attachment .but that a spendy-$ fix .
Or if you in love with having a combo straight/zigzag . buy that Consew machines big brother,  Walk-foot ( 146RB-1A ) . I got this japan Consew and it is a 'strong' workhorse, combo straight-stitch/zigzag machine .

Edited by nylonRigging

I have to get into tight spots and the 146 feet are to wide. I'm still looking for smaller 5 or 6 mm feed dog and plate for the 199. Also, I have to zig zag a 5/8 raw binding. that doesn't feed right with the standard 10 mm feed dog. I cant find any smaller than 10 mm 

if I don't find some I will get a Singer 457 or 20. Maybe a Pfaff 438.