dfrensdorff

Need alphabet stamp set advice

Hello all .... I’m looking to step up my ability to put a customer’s initials on a few of my leather good .... tote bags, Dopp Kits, wallets .... and want something other than the options that Tandy offers. I’ve found this seller on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/275515814/alphabet-leather-stamps-with-t-slot. Has anyone here bought from them?  Any suggestions on a nice font, and size?  Thanks .... Don

Edited by dfrensdorff

5/16" is pretty small for dog collars and guitar straps

9 hours ago, dfrensdorff said:

Hello all .... I’m looking to step up my ability to put a customer’s initials on a few of my leather good .... tote bags, Dopp Kits, wallets .... and want something other than the options that Tandy offers. I’ve found this seller on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/275515814/alphabet-leather-stamps-with-t-slot. Has anyone here bought from them?  Any suggestions on a nice font, and size?  Thanks .... Don

If you want to emboss initials with the use of an embossing machine that hold the letters have a look for any Kingsley letter sets first. I do a lot of monogramming on leather work and it happens that you want 2 or 3 of the same letter way too regular. The Kingsley sets come with several letters in all of the commonly used letters and hold up pretty well over years of careful use. Mom Dad etc etc

Thank you. I’ll look into it ...

On 7/20/2019 at 2:55 AM, RockyAussie said:

If you want to emboss initials with the use of an embossing machine that hold the letters have a look for any Kingsley letter sets first. I do a lot of monogramming on leather work and it happens that you want 2 or 3 of the same letter way too regular. The Kingsley sets come with several letters in all of the commonly used letters and hold up pretty well over years of careful use. Mom Dad etc etc

I’ve looked into the Kingsley and I like it .... do you know if they can simply press in initials, without using gold foil?

1 hour ago, dfrensdorff said:

do you know if they can simply press in initials, without using gold foil?

I have never used the Kingsley Letter Sets, but I have used other letter stamps, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to use without foil ... anybody got any other thoughts?

It looks like the Kingsley are made of metal. As long as the letter blocks are thick enough or a backing pressure plate is used I see no reason they cannot be used just to impress the letter

5 hours ago, dfrensdorff said:

I’ve looked into the Kingsley and I like it .... do you know if they can simply press in initials, without using gold foil?

Yes they can do that very well but they need to be used in a suitable press to hold the letters. The metal is not as hard as brass and would not take any hammering down for very long. The heat that the presses apply to the letters makes for some very nice results on many leathers when done without the use of foils.

Thank you all ..... I’m on the hunt for one. They’re available on eBay, but I’m hoping to find one from more of a private party where I can actually talk to them about it. 

1 hour ago, dfrensdorff said:

Thank you all ..... I’m on the hunt for one. They’re available on eBay, but I’m hoping to find one from more of a private party where I can actually talk to them about it. 

You may not have seen this post but if not ...I think it may help.

And another -