I work in my basement. Although it is usually pretty dry, I put plastic down in case it ever floods. I rent, so know little of the area. It had never flooded, yet it seems I have a white powdery substance under the plastic and it smells like mildew. I am considering getting rid of the plastic but worry if this will spread spores and ruin my leather. Any advice? 

3 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

Any advice? 

Let your leather breathe. Give it a thorough inspection, and remove any mold with a soft cloth, like a cotton diaper or micro-fiber cloth. You might need to clean the leather, but how you do that and what you use will depend on the type of leather you have. Replace that plastic either with new plastic, or preferably some manilla paper. It is a brown, heavy paper that many leather suppliers use to wrap hides for shipping. It will allow the leather to breathe while protecting it from abrasions.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I would use a dehumidifier now and again in your basement. That would help keep things drier if there is mildew on the floor. (this wont get rid of it , just keep it at bay a little longer)

Edited by jimi