JohnYaddy

Beginner Tools

I’m interested in trying some small leather projects as a hobby and would appreciate advice on the basic tools that I will need to start. I plan to attempt a few watch straps first and then maybe a simple card sleeve or something similar. From my research, the following list is what I think I might need. Let me know what I’m missing, as well as any recommendations on tools to avoid or that you rate highly.

Cutting tool

Skiver

Diamond chisels

Mallet

Wing divider

Scratch awl

Stitching needles

Nylon thread

Glue

Glue applicator

Self-healing mat 

Straight edge

Bone folder

Clamps

Hardware (watch clasp, spring bar, etc.)

Leather (thickness?)

Edge burnisher 

Edge dressing/paint

Beeswax

Sandpaper

Strop compound

That's a good shopping list. Here are a few comments -

There are all sorts of knives available for leatherwork, some of them rather expensive. I suggest you start off with something simple, like a Stanley knife/utility knife/box cutter, you may well have one already. Use that till you get the hang of leatherwork, and see what sort of knives there are, and what might suit you

Yes, get the skiver and chisels, but will also find a saddler's awl useful. If you're doing thin leather like watch straps you should choose a small awl like an Osborne 41 or 42

You can make your own strop from oddments of wood & leather. There are videos on YouTube and advice on this forum

If you are going to skive leather you will need a hard, glossy surface, like a marble slab, a ceramic tile, or a sheet of glass

Square ruler.  

Dye, neatsfoot oil, leather finisher like tankote or resolene.  This is if you plan to work with veg tan leathers.  

Buffing cloth, cotton applicators. 

Nitrile gloves.

Poly cutting board.  If you are doing small stuff, get a cheap one from Walmart or Amazon or discount store near you, works fine.  Big 4' x 2' sheets aren't all that expensive, and every item I make touches this board more than once, so it is my most used tool and best value for $$.

Stitching clamp.

sand paper, different grits.

Some of us prefer poly thread over nylon, others linen over both.

If you are really going to get into it, it can be better to buy once cry once instead of trying to get cheap stuff, then upgrade later.  Of course, some really cheap stuff can do the job just fine, but a little research helps here.

Round/head knife.  Get a good one.  Old ones in good shape (ie good steel) I find are better than new ones at a good price (ie cheap, as in cheap steel).  Now I have a collection of 9 or 10 or so.

Coins.

If I think of more later, I'll mention.

YinTx

waste cardboard: old brown card boxes opened out. Lay out flat to dye on. When used put into recycling

old newspapers can sometimes be used too, but check that their ink doesn't come off on your wet leather

There are lots of videos about leatherwork on YouTube, for both techniques such as saddle stitching or sharpening a round knife, and making items, like bags, belts, wallets and watch straps. As you watch them you will see the tools involved, and how they are used

If you intend making watch straps and card sleeves my guess is that you will mostly be doing straight cuts on thinner leather. In which case you could consider a Japanese leather knife or a rotary cutter such as Olfa