georgecarson

Cleaning Crafttools?

I just inherited a bunch of Craftool stamps and some have mild rust visible.  What would be the best way to polish them back up?  Should they be coated with anything to prevent corrosion.  Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

George

Congratulations on receiving a lovely gift :specool:  I  have had this issue myself. I have around 300 stamps, and while I use most of my ' fave tools' frequently, they don't get rusty, but there are also heaps of tools that I haven't used in yonks. And while they don't get rusty, they do get quite ' tarnished ', perhaps a little surface rust. I have avoided using machines like a bench buffer or wire brush  to clean them in case I mess  up any intricate detail, some parts my be buffed up I guess,  but I have found simply spending a few minutes  stamping them on a piece of scrap leather before using  has worked . I can see any dirt etc come out on the leather .  I also just wipe them over with an oily rag every so often, and generally keep them clean   helps too. 

HS 

The rust can be removed safely and easily with a product called Evaporust. It can be found at most autoparts stores, some home improvement stores and even Harbor Freight. Soak the tools for 12-24 hours, the rust will be gone and no damage to good metal. You can polish them up with something like Flitz and that will prevent rust. You can reuse the Evaporust for quite a while. 

53 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

The rust can be removed safely and easily with a product called Evaporust. It can be found at most autoparts stores, some home improvement stores and even Harbor Freight. Soak the tools for 12-24 hours, the rust will be gone and no damage to good metal. You can polish them up with something like Flitz and that will prevent rust. You can reuse the Evaporust for quite a while. 

Great tip from a reliable source!

Edited by splinters