TonySFLDLTHR

Natural Harness Two Layer Belt Build

Oh good... I was starting to panic about not seeing enough videos how ta glue two pieces together :o

Try ta take that lightly... folks offended W A Y too easy these days.  ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Oh good... I was starting to panic about not seeing enough videos how ta glue two pieces together :o

Try ta take that lightly... folks offended W A Y too easy these days.  ;)

I can't believe you out of allllll people!! ;) :spoton:

At least that was a short part of it, but I was planning for that to be the next how two video...guess I will scratch that.

Nah, I waz jus playin'.. carry on. Belt looks nice.

videos like this are ok to watch. but new comers will have questions you didn't covered neither in video nor in text. there should be a message.

Awesome, because I saw some things I've never seen before.

Like that nifty cover for the splitter.  I'm always stressed about that thing hangin out on my bench, now I have a great way to keep it safer.

And I've never seen the Belt Ninja.  Pretty nifty.

And that harness leather.  Really cool colors.  Had to go to the YouTube version to see your write up on what it was.

And I've never seen someone apply glue like that.  Awesome production technique.  I could have read a lot of books and not seen that.  Although I am certain to screw up more than a few strips of leather before I get it down pat.

Thanks!

YinTx

I loved that video, thank you for posting it, it was quick and straight to the point :)

I liked it more than the others with all of the talking and drawn out explanations.  Just give me the Baby I don't want the Labor pains...

I havent tried it. Aint gonna tried it.  When I buy leather, I want the top shelf stuff -- "economy" and "saving" doesn't translate to economical leather cuts, and doesn't make economical use of my time to chop it up, search for a spot that is "usable".

STILL, I do appreciate that not all hides are created equal, and I can respect a guy selling "scratch n dent" as long as it's sold AS THAT, all the cards on the table (I still don't want any here, though ;) ).

Just a note to SLC folk ... in the event I call and want tooling leather, I want the BEST YOU HAVE.  No objection if you charge me more for it, but when I PAY more, I expect to GET more.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:35 PM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

I can't believe you out of allllll people!! ;) :spoton:

At least that was a short part of it, but I was planning for that to be the next how two video...guess I will scratch that.

Don't scratch it. I'm interested because I seem to be unable to glew two straps together (lined up properly). I'd use oversized straps and cut them to belt size after  glewing. But what to do if the outside is tooled ... ?

Nice video btw.

37 minutes ago, LederRudi said:

But what to do if the outside is tooled ... ?

You only need ONE of them to be oversize, ya know ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

You only need ONE of them to be oversize, ya know ;)

I see your point but it would be nice to have clean, sharp edges  not needing to be sanded..

Have any of you ever sandwiched first and tooled afterwards (and thereby avoided the need of taping )?

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I havent tried it. Aint gonna tried it.  When I buy leather, I want the top shelf stuff

Seems non sequitur?  OP showed a video on making belts...

maybe posted to the wrong thread?  Or maybe I missed what you were referring to on this thread...

just curious.

YinTx

It IS the wrong thread.  I typed in an edit which said that, but for some reason didn't "take".  THen I realized it made no less sense that much of the other around here, and decided not to concern myself ;)

4 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

It IS the wrong thread.  I typed in an edit which said that, but for some reason didn't "take".  THen I realized it made no less sense that much of the other around here, and decided not to concern myself ;)

Heheheheh.  All spot on.  And I think I know which thread it was intended for, and is exactly to the point that I was making there - it ain't worth it for those who already know what they need, no economy in the math.  For others, a dang good deal and an opportunity to get away from low quality import stuff.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled topic as presented by the OP.  Apologies for hi-jacking.  Look forward to seeing the next video so I can learn new tricks.

YinTx

Nice looking belt. I always wet form my keepers. I believe it looks more finished.

Haven't been here in awhile but saw the vid on UT last week and picked up a few pointers.  I like your glue spreading technique, I guess you improvise and adapt to a production speed after making a few... dozen or hundred and your final trimming to get the edges matched.  Well done.

Tony, thanks for sharing the video.  I hadn't heard of the Belt Ninja before.  I don't make a ton of belts, and when I do I use an old belt as a pattern.  The plexiglass template is great.

Nice and useful video. Thanks for sharing.