YinTx

Review of Hermann Oak Leather by SLC (Economy grade)

Part 1

Bought and delivered.  Here’s a little review of what I received.  One 9-10 oz side, and one 4-5 oz side.  The 9-10 oz side was as expected, actually I’d say nicer.  It had the promised scars and blemishes, and in the areas you’d want to have the best leather (ie the bend), but I could make some belts out of it and it’ll be really easy to make smaller items out of the rest by working around the issues.  Basket weave would easily eliminate some of the markings if I wanted to.  I’ve sent back “A” grade sides that were not much better than this.

image.png.31042bb797ca7580441a2f2c8d359294.pngimage.png.9373845b1bc423c538ad5957f02be59b.pngimage.png.b245abd3c03ebea20cd23c0ca32208be.png 

The 4-5 oz side had bug bites covering much too much of the hide for me to even consider using, so I had to send it back.   

image.png.ac3bf1f0932c653a86e63176179511dd.pngimage.png.959f8f82a6600d2375512cf4f9e49c0a.png 

SLC was gracious enough to replace the side with another, that I was able to use.  It has a lot more issues than the 9 oz, but I will be able to work around it.

image.png

Part 2

Replacement 4 oz side

image.png.24ebbbaf7a4838fd75f734be80178069.png

image.png.e0120f4bcacda9461698306483995e3f.png

image.png.18f93ef7576203287ae98649a941c727.png

If you are considering yields vs. cost, might be an issue.  Probably marks on 40-50% of the side at least.  If you want a good piece of Hermann Oak leather that you can make small things with, you can certainly do it.  A lot of import leathers cost more and don’t return the same value imho.

Is it Hermann Oak leather?  Yeppers!  Tools like it, dyes like it, finishes like it, because it is it.

Can you make beautiful things with it?  Well, I made this with the 4-5 oz, and I think it is on par with the things I make so.…

image.png.ea6e5797620fd1b35098eaf29318d5a6.png

image.png.59f9cedb85f7bdb549d761f79f962d33.png

What did it cost me to return and have another shipped?  Well, $23 for me to return ship it, and $13 for the shipping on the replacement hide, purchase price $120, total cost $156.  This is about $6.75/sqft.  I suppose if I order more, I’ll call and let em know what issues I can’t work with so I can avoid the $36 round trip cost.  I'll chalk that up to my error.

If you are used to using import hides, and want to know what Hermann Oak is all about, and are willing to work around some flaws, you will get to experience it without the high price.  Small items are easily made from this leather, and even some large ones. Some flaws will be covered with dark dye or tooling or stamping.  It will tool and work like the Hermann Oak leather it is.  At a fantastic price.

If you are already using large pieces of leather, selling high end items, or doing production runs, you would already be using higher grades of leather.  This leather is probably not of interest to you anyhow, since it has probably got too many scars and issues to work with for these purposes, imho.

If you make smaller items with lower quality import grades, you probably owe yourself the luxury of trying this leather.

Thanks SLC for creating the opportunity to use H.O. leathers at this price, and I hope my review is helpful for anyone considering purchasing some.  I'll try to get a couple more photos in...

YinTx

ClutchLeaf3LoRes.thumb.jpeg.5ba2c1a33e8058fe5a30f71b2f9e1540.jpeg

ClutchLeaf4LoRes.jpeg.91c3112ff755ad2f4c83244d4b863c09.jpeg

Edited by YinTx
better photos

Thanks for the review, YinTx...very detailed. Nice items, as well!  What does the flesh side look like on these sides? I'm not expected Smooth & Clean overall at this price point but was wondering if it needed a set of sheep shearing clippers taken to it followed by sandpaper (you get the idea)...I asked on their YouTube video feed a few weeks back and didn't get an answer

Thanks for the review @YinTx, I was curious when i saw the video...I take trips right up through Springfield to see family further north, but just can't make myself stop in there and check out the store.  I would imagine, if you were able to hand select the sides yourself and knock off shipping that would be a huge benefit.  I have been taking advantage of W&C overstock/special grades lately for smaller items, and so far have been pleasantly surprised with what I've been able to do with the lower graded sides.  

As always, beautiful wristlet, your tooling and stamping and stitching are top notch...how did you go about the color on this one? it's very even and nicely finished as well.

I bought a piece of 8/9oz economy grade from SLC about a month ago or so. For $135 I figured what the heck, I'm sure I'll be able to use it for something.  It was the ugliest looking piece of leather I'd ever purchased in my life. It was stained and filthy. I unrolled it and immediately just rolled it back up....there wasn't even one square foot of clean leather on that hide. I've dealt with SLC many times in the past without too many problems, but I'm not a happy camper. Whoever packed that hide up for shipment should be reprimanded for not throwing it on the scrap heap.  SLC is now the last place I look for leather. I also blame myself for thinking that I'd get a decent hide on the cheap.

And SLC, if you're reading, I STILL get redirected to the sign in page every darn time I go to the site. Very frustrating.

5 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Thanks for the review, YinTx...very detailed. Nice items, as well!  What does the flesh side look like on these sides? I'm not expected Smooth & Clean overall at this price point but was wondering if it needed a set of sheep shearing clippers taken to it followed by sandpaper (you get the idea)...I asked on their YouTube video feed a few weeks back and didn't get an answer

The back looked as smooth and clean as any other piece of Hermann Oak I have.  Thanks for the compliment, and hope this was useful.

5 hours ago, koreric75 said:

Thanks for the review @YinTx, I was curious when i saw the video...I take trips right up through Springfield to see family further north, but just can't make myself stop in there and check out the store.  I would imagine, if you were able to hand select the sides yourself and knock off shipping that would be a huge benefit.  I have been taking advantage of W&C overstock/special grades lately for smaller items, and so far have been pleasantly surprised with what I've been able to do with the lower graded sides.  

As always, beautiful wristlet, your tooling and stamping and stitching are top notch...how did you go about the color on this one? it's very even and nicely finished as well.

Thanks for the compliment, and yeah, certainly if you can stop in to select the side of leather you want, there will be no surprises, you'll know exactly what you are getting, and for sure save on the shipping.  Oh, to have such luxury!

Color was Mahogany dye from Fiebing's and a mix of EcoFlo gel antiques.  Inside, it s a dark color, in the sun, you get what you see.

4 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

I bought a piece of 8/9oz economy grade from SLC about a month ago or so. For $135 I figured what the heck, I'm sure I'll be able to use it for something.  It was the ugliest looking piece of leather I'd ever purchased in my life. It was stained and filthy. I unrolled it and immediately just rolled it back up....there wasn't even one square foot of clean leather on that hide. I've dealt with SLC many times in the past without too many problems, but I'm not a happy camper. Whoever packed that hide up for shipment should be reprimanded for not throwing it on the scrap heap.  SLC is now the last place I look for leather. I also blame myself for thinking that I'd get a decent hide on the cheap.

And SLC, if you're reading, I STILL get redirected to the sign in page every darn time I go to the site. Very frustrating.

I'm glad I did not get the experience you did.  As mentioned, I was not at all happy with one of the sides in the first shipment, so I sent it back, called and requested a replacement.  If they had sent a second horrible side, I am sure my review would not have been so friendly.  As it was, I was happy with the replacement piece.   And yes, I considered initially that I was doing a bit of a gamble thinking I'd get a decent hide on the cheap.  I kinda resolved to be prepared for whatever might come, knowing I'd be able to send it back.  I also intended to review whatever they sent me, so if it was two bad sides it would have been shown.

As far as your experience, they advertised scars, marks, holes, so I'd expect it.  They did not advertise stains and filth... I would  have argued and expected them to pay the return shipping in that case.

YinTx

Very fair review.  I'm glad that in the end you were satisfied.  I have done business with SLC many times (In person) so I have no experience with their mail order.  What I can say is that every time I walked out of the store I felt I got more than my money's worth.  And the personal service was excellent.  If you are not getting the same experience, ask to speak with Kevin or Rusty.

6 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

So, @TonyRV2 if you would like to return it...I'm sure a call or email would yield you with the proper customer service (if not let me know and I will get to the bottom of it). The best way to let us know of an issue you have had is to...let us know. Otherwise, we don't know there is a problem to fix and assume it is ok. As far as passing judgement on a person you don't know...I understand being upset...but hopefully we can both agree that your comment was out of frustration and probably could be left out.

The best way to deal with situations like this might be the way @YinTx did. Quite possibly in his case if Kevin heard of it it he would have paid for the shipping back.  @YinTx is correct in saying this will get someone the use of HO that has never used it before. It is not going to be for super high end production...mostly because it is...Economy.

The best thing about the leather world is there is more than one place to get your leather and we see that as a good thing. We all have faults from time to time and it is how we deal with those faults when we have them and not hide behind them. Sorry, we didn't meet your needs TonyRV2 and honestly hope that you find what you are needing to take care of all of your projects.

Last note, as far as the redirect goes for the login issue. We are still working this...I have followed how others are making this happen and still can't make this happen for me. I have 3 accounts set up with our site and I will login and let the session expire and when I go back in to the homepage or click an outside link...I just go where it is supposed to. We also, have some items when you click on it...it takes you nowhere. Even the developer can't figure that out.

So we keep trying to do what we can to give you the best experience we can...sure we hit the mark...we are also aware that we miss. Hopefully we hit more than we miss.  

..... ordered mine before I read the review.... still glad I did. I will see myself, not that I doubt anyone. But I have to see for myself.  Thanks for the fair review!

Great review, Y. Thanks

15 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

So, @TonyRV2 if you would like to return it...I'm sure a call or email would yield you with the proper customer service (if not let me know and I will get to the bottom of it). The best way to let us know of an issue you have had is to...let us know. Otherwise, we don't know there is a problem to fix and assume it is ok. As far as passing judgement on a person you don't know...I understand being upset...but hopefully we can both agree that your comment was out of frustration and probably could be left out...

NO..my comment was not out of frustration, I've had over a month to get over it. My comment was sincere. Anyone that would ship a hide that looked like the one that I'd received should be reprimanded...not fired of course...simply instructed as to what is acceptable and what is not. But I do understand your frustration at seeing a negative comment in a forum.  I did call after receiving that shipment, which included other hides that were just fine, and was told by the gal that I'd have to pay return shipping. Not "let me look into it and we'll see what we can do"...but straight to "Sorry...pay to return it and we'll send you another one. Now that's stellar customer service right there. No hard feelings TonySFL, but quite naturally we all take our experiences into consideration when making future decisions.

1 hour ago, TonyRV2 said:

simply instructed as to what is acceptable and what is not.

It's tough managing people. Specially if you're hiring young folk who aren't really experienced at HAVING A JOB, much less knowledgeable about leather.

I once ordered a SINGLE BACK of tooling leather down there.  Which should have been the side, with the belly cut off.  Some dummy head cut off the SHOULDER.... cut across the hide instead of down it.  Now, all was not lost.. the bend was still there and usable... just not long enough for what it was intended for.  I ordered that piece BECAUSE I didn't have any long enough.  And of course i had 5-6 feet of belly leather I had specifically requested to remove. :o

BUT... I'll give 'em that one.  I called... must have sounded a bit irritable, cuz that kid on the phone decided that was maybe one for Kevin.  Long time ago, but I still remember him sounding like he'd been putting out fires in the store all day... sent him a pic of what i got.  Without further discussion needed, he said "that's got a belly on it!" so I said you see my problem.  And now it was compounded because I'm on a schedule, which is even further pressed for time because I have to wait on leather again.  Kevin said he'd send me another piece himself, that day, which realistically was about the best you could do with it at that point.

But I called not to return the leather, but to have SOMEBODY aware that you got at least one kid in either the shop or the shipping dept. who needs a little more training ... and apparently ya got nobody to check on that guy or verify what he's sending out.  You know.. don't FIRE the boy.. and don't WHOOP him.. just maybe somebody go over the ABC's with him before he sends out any more.  Hey, I 'get' it.. I've hired folks myself...

Maybe they fixed it... hasn't happened again.

IN all fairness, it's not MY problem to manage the staff at somebody else's business, nor is it their problem to manage my schedule (and I'm talking about SLC but I mean anybody).  Their "job" is to get me what I ordered in the time that stated they would provide it.  And the majority of the time they have done that.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

It's tough managing people. Specially if you're hiring young folk who aren't really experienced at HAVING A JOB, much less knowledgeable about leather...

I agree with everything you've said 100%.  And yes, most of what I've ordered from them has been good. 

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

It's tough managing people. Specially if you're hiring young folk who aren't really experienced at HAVING A JOB, much less knowledgeable about leather.

This is the best point that could be made. You see the leather world is fairly misunderstood by most of the rest of the world. General public " hey make me that in leather...shouldn't be hard, I'll  pay $10."

Now you try to order what you need to do the job...not for $10 the uneducated client asked for...and now we get the leather order from you that is filled by someone that may or may not have a vast knowledge of the leather world...yet. They get you something that is not what you need to do the job or what you requested or not usable at all in big portions. I can tell you Kevin is back in the "leather row" helping educate new people that come in and out for times each day he is here....as you can imagine most  new employees have little experience in leather, much less knowledge of how we sell the leather (most other places don't cut leather like we do....or even at all).

On 7/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, TonyRV2 said:

Whoever packed that hide up for shipment should be reprimanded for not throwing it on the scrap heap.

Anyone that would ship a hide that looked like the one that I'd received should be reprimanded...not fired of course...simply instructed as to what is acceptable and what is not.

I have no problem with a negative problem you see...and I addressed that. But instructing someone else's company on how they should handle their employees is a bit different than a negative comment. In my eyes reprimand (to rebuke/chastise) and instruct (to teach/train)
are not synonymous. (my personal feelings nothing to do with SLC).

I did call after receiving that shipment, which included other hides that were just fine, and was told by the gal that I'd have to pay return shipping. Not "let me look into it and we'll see what we can do"...but straight to "Sorry...pay to return it and we'll send you another one. Now that's stellar customer service right there.

Dealing with the amount of calls that we get and sometimes the nature of how those calls start (what @JLSleather pointed out on his call) or how they are received can be a bit stressful...I know I am not always easy to deal with and can't imagine dealing with calls from me over and over all day. That is not an excuse for not helping someone deal with a problem we more than likely caused. What it sounds like is that you got one of our newer CS reps (and that is what they might have been told to say when someone doesn't like the leather)...not a customer getting something that is quite possibly unusable by anyone. (this is not an excuse for not helping better right off the bat, but quite possibly lack of direction)

I also don't think it would have been out of line to ask for it to be looked into more, instead of accepting their reply (because there could be more done, but they maybe just don't know how they or Kevin/Rusty could handle it). It is not what is asked by people, but instead how it is asked or approached. I am sure if someone came to you and demanded a Mosaic Knife they would be less received than someone who approached it differently. I can't speak to what was said to you in your call, how their tone was or your tone was...I am just making general statements.

Once again this is Tony from SLC speaking and not SLC.

I can see both sides of this story just fine.  Companies that do try to have great customer service do fail on more than one occasion.

Just to keep this thread on track, it's a review of the leather, not the phone calls.  Perhaps @TonySFLDLTHR can pm @TonyRV2 and offer to send another side with free shipping, and we can have a separate thread on customer service reviews.

As far as the leather, it may suffice to say some economy sides will be better than others.  I included photos as proof of what I received, what I sent back, and received again.   I can't speak to what others have received.  I do imagine some folks will be really happy with this opportunity, and others won't be happy at all.  I think that is the nature of this sort of deal where you have a damaged version of a usually higher quality item offered at a lower price.  Sort of like dent and scratch specials on appliances I suppose.  Except you have to buy it sight unseen.  Adds an additional layer of adventure.

YinTx

44 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Just to keep this thread on track,

We'll have nunna that 'round these parts. I started a simple thread about making a collection of videos - all in one place - that you folks have found helpful.  That quickly degenerated into a rant about "jeff's name is really richard, and that pudgy boy from TX is okay with us".    Doesn't make sense to ya, don't worry about it ;)

One more comment about SLC 'n' phones 'n' stuff before I step out of this.... I have called down there and talked to Boss Darnell and O.K. Hopkins each on more than one ocassion.  They endured with grace for the most part ;)  Also have ordered with Liz, Amanda, Kelly (or is it Kelli) - to name a few - over the years.  Little question that taking my orders has better prepared each of them to deal with most any other customer :blush:  @TonySFLDLTHR no need to send compensation.. their hazardous duty training is "on me".

Posted this in the wrong thread... copied to here.  I did speak with Stacy on Friday (or is it Stacey?  Stacie?) whose disposition and general knowledge talked me outta extra $50 er $60 ;)  Sorry about the "service review' @YinTx but i been known to give 'em a "minus 1" so thought it only fair to point out when they earned a "plus one" ;)

I havent tried it. Aint gonna tried it.  When I buy leather, I want the top shelf stuff -- "economy" and "saving" doesn't translate to economical leather cuts, and doesn't make economical use of my time to chop it up, search for a spot that is "usable".

STILL, I do appreciate that not all hides are created equal, and I can respect a guy selling "scratch n dent" as long as it's sold AS THAT, all the cards on the table (I still don't want any here, though ;) ).

Just a note to SLC folk ... in the event I call and want tooling leather, I want the BEST YOU HAVE.  No objection if you charge me more for it, but when I PAY more, I expect to GET more.