JC2019

Techsew 2600 table came damaged, repair ideas?

Hi guys,

Just ordered a techsew 2600 on your recommendation. I didnt notice one of the legs had been damaged pretty bad so I didnt note it when the ups delivered it since it went under the pallete.

Hopefully this is the only damage but I will do a thorough inspection in the upcoming days. Any tips?

Called techsew and they wont cover the cost. It is only $40 for a new one but  still a shame I didnt notice it on delivery. Hopefully ups decides to cover this.

My thought is to just pay for a replacement while a claim for concealed damage is filed.

Or do you guys think I should try to bend it back? Add a wood support? The table feels wobbly as is so I am thinking of just paying the $40 and waiting for my new part. Havent really worked with steel before.

Thanks all, excited to get this running :)

20190725_124154_compress77.jpg

20190725_121915_compress0.jpg

1564163432825_compress11.jpg

Edited by JC2019

Don't take that S**T write a letter to the head of the company, enclose the link to this site and keep the forum up to date, bet they soon change their point of view

In the UK we have a law that states the received goods must be fit for purpose and also regardless of any makers guarantee the seller is responsible to sort it out

I had a land rover with a bad diff after 5 years, i contacted the seller who would not repair it free then land rover and got no satisfaction, then found out they had changed to a new version a few months after mine was made, so i informed trading standards with proof they had known of the fault, and land rover then changed it out for free, they had wanted me to pay over £700 when i first reported it

The company failed to deliver the item you purchased, as described.

Have them call their shipper, and file a claim and send you the part no charge.

Hidden damage is covered by shippers, have the person who hired them call and file a claim.

You can not file a claim with the shipper you did not hire them, tell them to send a new part.

You paid for a new one they delivered a damaged one.

Edited by Louiesdad

3 hours ago, JC2019 said:

Called techsew and they wont cover the cost.

Sounds like you got the party line in hopes you will go away. You didn't hire the shipper Techsew did they are responsible to make the claim to the shipper and get you a replacement part in a timely manner so you can put the darn thing together and see if works. All the parts need to be in a serviceable condition. If you had bought it through Amazon you could probably have returned the hold thing with no questions and no re-stocking charge. Cann't imagine the problem you are probably going to have if the machine gives problems or has operating flaws. I would also check and see if you got proof the machine had been sewn off before being shipped and whether the user manual is written in some sort of coherent English.  

kgg

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just to clarify, Techsew did offer to file the claim for hidden damage but they stated it was up to ups to decide if they would cover it since I did not notice this when I signed. UPS would need to do some type of investigation and likely show up and verify the damage.  I get UPS can be difficult to deal with sometimes, from both ends.

I asked, if UPS was to deny, would  Techsew cover it? They said it would be up to the buyer (aka me) to pay for the part and shipping. I was relived to find out it was only $40.

As you guys pointed out, this does worry me a bit  if anything else was to fail or not work out of the box. I am not sure what the cost would be.  Hopefully they will stand behind their product and this is just a very minor inconvenience and others have had no problems with them when their machines fail.

Overall, I am a little bit surprised at their policies but ultimately I just want to have this machine running. Ideally the replacement part would already be on its way regardless of what UPS decides. 

I am just used to Amazon, etc. 

Edited by JC2019

Was it wrapped/boxed sitting on pallet on your signing and  Pick-up ? Was it visible like it was dropped ?
( did ? ), looks like some jackass on loading or unloading, with the forklift punched it with the fork when it was on the pallet . if so it was the trucking in-between the seller and you most likely that did damage . forklifts have some power so check if table frame really bad out of square also .

Just asking, in past I have picked up new machines boxed and shrink wrapped on the Pallet when they delivered to local trucking hub . I sign and have the loading guy set on my truck to take back with me.
I look hard, BUT Unless it was obviously 'looks visibly,  dropped/damaged, it really hard to see prior shipping damage on machines, and it a double-edge-sword, as trucking hubs really not in favor of you un-cratting and inspect before you sign and pickup .

Edited by nylonRigging

The shipper is responsible for filing the claim.

They hired them, if they refuse to pay they are still responsible to give you what you paid to have delivered.

The seller should give you part and pay for the shipping to you.

If they do not make it good contest the charge with your credit card co.

This should teach you a lot about this Co. If they play games over a $40 part why would anyone else ever deal with them again??????

Edited by Louiesdad

7 hours ago, JC2019 said:

I didnt notice one of the legs had been damaged pretty bad so I didnt note it when the ups delivered it since it went under the pallete.

The big and main question is who in the hell packs stuff on the underside of a pallete, your just asking for damage. What a half ass shipping technique that someone doesn't want to owe up too. In this case I think it was probably Techsew who packed the item to be shipped not UPS who may reject based on that. It really shouldn't matter who packed it Techsew should replace the damaged part if for no other reason then good customer service / retention. The leg piece was hit pretty hard to do that amount of damage.

2 hours ago, JC2019 said:

As you guys pointed out, this does worry me a bit  if anything else was to fail or not work out of the box.

It would would worry me at lot particularly after spending that amount of cash. Their customer enticement, customer retention or customer service dosen't seem to be their strongest attribute. If it was me I would go over every inch of everything (machine head, table frame and top, motor as well as the packing box for the machine head) for signs of damage / fractures, no matter how small. Making sure particularly their are no hair line fractures/ misalignment's to the machine head with such a hard hit.

1 hour ago, Louiesdad said:

This should teach you a lot about this Co. If they play games over a $40 part why would anyone else ever deal with them again??????

Should be a lessen to anyone else who is thinking about buying a Chinese clone machine maybe they should checkout Chinese Clone resellers closer to home. There are a lot of resellers across Canada and the USA selling the same / similar stuff, probably out of the same Chinese factories, just with a different brand label slapped on the machine head.

kgg

Hi all, reporting back. I started inspecting the table more thoroughly. The other side is also damaged. The leg is slightly bent where the "cross bar" connects,  but hard to notice this unless I am really looking. 

It does feel extremely unstable and is not square at all. Techsew said UPS often damages the table legs but not the machine itself.

It was packed on one pallet, with some sort of plastic tape wrapping and a sign that basically says "Dont put anything on top of this".  The machine itself was in a box, still have to unbox it.

I am a little more disappointed it won't just be one part. It would have been very hard to notice this on a quick inspection, especially when the delivery is done  on a busy street and the driver wanted to just leave the package on the side of the street (I asked him to please put it on the sidewalk which he did).

I am starting to regret ordering from Techsew at this point. I wish they would just send me a replacement that was well packed even if it wasn't assembled.

I am sorry to say that a look at Techsew's shipping and billing terms down the bottom says it all. They can not make a insurance claim once you have signed the no damage part.  http://www.techsew.com/shipping-policy

I would get a new leg rather than try and fix it or you will ever remember it every time it catches your eye. To have a new machine should be a rewarding experience and not be marred by something like this. You may at times want to get parts from them and even some sort of service help and keeping your calm is sometimes for the better latter on.

18 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I am sorry to say that a look at Techsew's shipping and billing terms down the bottom says it all. They can not make a insurance claim once you have signed the no damage part.  http://www.techsew.com/shipping-policy

I would get a new leg rather than try and fix it or you will ever remember it every time it catches your eye. To have a new machine should be a rewarding experience and not be marred by something like this. You may at times want to get parts from them and even some sort of service help and keeping your calm is sometimes for the better latter on.

Sadly this is not the only damage, the table rocks from side to side so I will need at least two legs and perhaps a cross bar.

I spoke to them on the phone multiple times about the logistics and what I should do when UPS showed up. They never mentioned this. I was very much trying to do my best to received this package without damaging it. I double checked with them on the weight of each item and how UPS would deliver it, what I should expect, etc. Nothing about this "we can't do anything once you sign" was communicated when speaking to them.  I wish I had seen that website before. They did give me incorrect information that contradicted UPS multiple times but I understand we are all human and make mistakes.

I understand your point about not letting it get to me. I paid for the upgrades and everything so if I am lucky nothing big is damaged. Still seems like its going to cost me an extra $80-120  just in damaged parts so far (assuming 3 new ones are needed at 40 each)

Edited by JC2019

I took the really bad leg off. I've managed to barely adjust it enough to probably put on the little feet and have it stand up more or less. I think it would work like this and do fine. I'm more concerned about the lateral rocking of the table which I think is unrelated. Do all your machines Techsew tables rock side to side (along the long axis of the table)?

4 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

I took the really bad leg off. I've managed to barely adjust it enough to probably put on the little feet and have it stand up more or less. I think it would work like this and do fine. I'm more concerned about the lateral rocking of the table which I think is unrelated. Do all your machines Techsew tables rock side to side (along the long axis of the table)?

I don't think so. Perhaps once the feet are on and the machine in place it will sit better but check and make sure that all bolts are tightened down well before the machine goes in. Could you show a picture of the table (front on) once the feet are installed?

Does your method of payment have a chargeback facility for damaged goods, so you can do that, and leave it up to Techsew to collect, and buy from a better maker

Edited by chrisash

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

Does your method of payment have a chargeback facility for damaged goods, so you can do that, and leave it up to Techsew to collect, and buy from a better maker

I agree, do a chargeback.

From what you are finding you need a whole new table frame and none of my tables ever have rocked as you describe. Tables should be rock solid after being levelled which you probably are going to have difficulty doing and capable of handling any side movements for that machine.

kgg

11 hours ago, JC2019 said:

I understand your point about not letting it get to me. I paid for the upgrades and everything so if I am lucky nothing big is damaged. Still seems like its going to cost me an extra $80-120  just in damaged parts so far (assuming 3 new ones are needed at 40 each)

@Techsew Ron looks like some followup is needed.

Tom

Contact your credit card co ASAP and initiate a chargeback for item delivered not as purchased.

Make co give you new items, not repaired items for your money.

The stuff had concealed hidden damage, who is to say the co did not just sent you a damaged item???  

You can not deal with shipper co who hired them to deliver must start paperwork.

Have co you paid, provide invoice showing they paid the shipper for insurance value for the actual cost of item shipped. 

They probably just used default $100 coverage and are going to have to eat costs involved in making you whole.

Plus get this wonderful reccomendation for their excellent customer and product service.......and TOTAL REMOVAL AND BAN from this website for these types of little things....

Edited by Louiesdad

Thanks for all the suggestions & info.

I have a class most of today so I probably won't have time till tomorrow to see if I can't figure out the rocking problem. 

I am located in California and I believe they shipped from Canada.  I understand the pains of running a company and we all have off days. Unfortunately I am a new-comer to this field and I know very little about machines or their tables so I can't just fix it on my own or know if it's so bad it  should all just be returned. 

Will post more info as I am able to figure it out.

Thanks again

A suggestion..IME sewing "frame" ( K leg, H leg etc ) all tables have at least one adjustable foot, this is for adjusting* ( raising or lowering, usually lowering ) when they "rock" in case your floor is not level where you have the machine..Doesn't solve the damaged part..But might also be why your machine is rocking..I fit wheels on all of mine, one of which I always make "height" adjustable( at the front )..two of them ( at the front ) are always "lockable".

* for some reason manufacturers usually fit the adjustable one at the back at the right hand side..right where it is the most awkward to adjust.

Okay good to know.Some quick photos of other parts with minor bends which I assume are not supposed to be there. The top pieces that attach to the table top do have some lateral give so perhaps this is contributing to the instability. I took off the very bent leg which is not pictured here:

20190727_093327_compress82.jpg

20190727_093423_compress22.jpg

20190727_093258_compress90.jpg

20190727_093247_compress68.jpg

20190727_093916_compress94~2.jpg

Edited by JC2019

Those kind of bends can only be caused by fairly major pressure on the ends of those channels..I'm guessing..but..that looks like the entire thing may have been dropped on the back of the table..or far more likely ( considering the crushing ) hit from the front ( by say a fork lift badly driven ) while the back was blocked up against something which thus crumpled the frame and footrest area..and put a lot of other frame elements out of alignment and twisted.

I'd have refused the entire thing..the frame is now "shot"...adjusting a foot isn't going get that back in line..the frame has been crushed..and if the machine head was in the footwell, then it may also have damage..that table is a write off..

Hopefully Ron from Techsew will pick up on the "flag" that Tom posted above and join and get in touch with you..That is shipping damage..no way could you have done that yourself, it needs a forklift badly driven,and an immovable object ( like a wall ) to crush a frame like that..

I have to say..The frames on all my machines ( older ) are all made of far more solid metal ( thicker guage ) than that.. If that is "standard" frame metal thickness nowadays , I'm glad I bought older and used ..

If it were me selling it ( and my shippers had done that I'd issue a full refund and insist that the shipper picked it up and let the insurance deal with it..TOS notwithstanding..I'd also never use those shippers again..No way that they could not know what they had done..

I should add..I know how to drive all kinds of fork lifts..I have all the licences / permits..all the bike , car and truck , digger etc ones too..got them all decades ago, I keep them all up to date..medicals and all..next medical is in this coming September..

No way could a fork lift driver not know that they had "speared " and "crushed" an item on a pallet with damage like that..

That is a major forklift driver screw up..followed by an attempted cover up..by the shipper..

No wonder the driver didn't want to let you have the time to inspect it before you signed off on it..

Edited by mikesc

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

I'd also never use those shippers again..No way that they could not know what they had done..

It might have not been the delivery shippers who done the damage. The damage could have occurred before it got in the hands of the shipping company who then delivered it to you. But who caused the damage doesn't really matter Techsew should suck it up and step up to the plate to do the right thing.

4 hours ago, JC2019 said:

I am located in California and I believe they shipped from Canada. 

Techsew is Montreal which is located in the province of Quebec.

Looking at your latest photos of the table frame, I wouldn't put the machine on it. The cheap table has had it's major support parts and welds over stressed to the point of buckling and possible risk of failure. Does your table top show any signs of hair line cracks, surface bubbling / lifting away from the wood particularly around the outside edges?

4 hours ago, JC2019 said:

or their tables so I can't just fix it on my own or know if it's so bad it  should all just be returned. 

Return the whole works and buy from someone else.

kgg

I am not sure if the tabletop itself is damaged, it only has some slight separation on the inner curves (where the middle opening is):

Second image, the styrofoam seems to have protected the stuff on top of the table.

At this point I believe the main damage is to the steel parts.

20190728_095449_compress56.jpg

20190728_095248_compress37.jpg

20190728_094935_compress25.jpg

20190728_094944_compress85.jpg

Edited by JC2019

Photos of the machine, just started inspecting one side, from the back (near a big knob I believe used to move the kneedle up and down)  there is a little chip and the hole I assume is from two welded parts:

20190728_101541~2_compress59.jpg

20190728_101531_compress71.jpg

Edited by JC2019

17 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

At this point I believe the main damage is to the steel parts.

That is good news. I would seal the top in that location to prevent any further damage from concurring in the future.

4 minutes ago, JC2019 said:

there is a little chip and the hole I assume is from two welded parts:

I think the little chip is from the manufacturing process not damage and the hole probably as well. So far, except for the legs, seems good.