Sign in to follow this  
Sendilkumar

Beginners' Place

I am beginner, just starting my hobby craft on leather, got few basic tools and materials including a sheet of leather.

There are few things I want to know first

1.       leather sheet looks bit old. Surface doesn’t have its original finish it is little dull.

1. How to restore it?
  2. Needs to be treated before cut it or after.
  3. What kind of tools and materials can be used?

The first thing is to establish what sort of leather it is, either Vegetable tanned or Chrome tanned, I suggest you do a search on this forum about the two types

If you go onto Etsy.com website and type in Leather tools you will see a wide variety of tools, no doubt there will be locally made tools in India depending on what you are intending to make

The "how do I do that" section is of great help on this forum and also Youtube.com has helpful video's on how to make most leather items and what tools are required

Relatives in Europe may well be able to buy tools etc and post to india at far cheaper rates then buying direct from web sites around the world

Hope this helps and welcome to the site

On 7/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, chrisash said:

Thanks for your reply Chrisash. Will work towards what you suggest. 

On 7/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, chrisash said:

The first thing is to establish what sort of leather it is, either Vegetable tanned or Chrome tanned, I suggest you do a search on this forum about the two types

If you go onto Etsy.com website and type in Leather tools you will see a wide variety of tools, no doubt there will be locally made tools in India depending on what you are intending to make

The "how do I do that" section is of great help on this forum and also Youtube.com has helpful video's on how to make most leather items and what tools are required

Relatives in Europe may well be able to buy tools etc and post to india at far cheaper rates then buying direct from web sites around the world

Hope this helps and welcome to the site