PigasusStudio

Lace Pattern Name?

I'm trying out some lacing. I've the "Lacing & Stitching for Leathercraft" booklet by Tandy, which has 10 different common stitching patterns but this isn't one of them.

I know I've seen its name before, but can't recall what it is. If y'all know what it's called and can let me know, that'd be great and save me from having to refer to it as the "that every-other-hole with backtracking stitch pattern". :0)

Image shows it on two pieces of scrap with rather haphazard holes. From the back I'm coming up through hole 1 down through 3, up through 2 and down through 4, up through 3 and down through 5, and so on and so forth. It gives a simple "filled" running stitch type pattern on the flipside.

20190728_131439.thumb.jpg.66bd44e59ced83d5de775b604f4df43c.jpg

20190728_131445.jpg

Edited by PigasusStudio

I don't doubt it is known by many names. When I learned about it, they called it a stairstep applique. Think in Bruce Grants teaching.

In the 80's, Tandy called that a "rope stitch".  Standard on a lot of their handbag patterns.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, blue duck said:

I don't doubt it is known by many names. When I learned about it, they called it a stairstep applique. Think in Bruce Grants teaching.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, JLSleather said:

In the 80's, Tandy called that a "rope stitch".  Standard on a lot of their handbag patterns.

Thanks and thanks! And I found it also here named by @Ole South as "...  'Twisted Rope' lacing. Could be a Lazy S stitch or One Thong Stair Stitch... not sure how much different they are or if people just use the names interchangably. Its pretty close to an embroidery Stem Stitch using a single line of holes."

1 strand back stitch 

On 7/29/2019 at 9:18 AM, PigasusStudio said:

I know I've seen its name before, but can't recall what it is. If y'all know what it's called and can let me know, that'd be great and save me from having to refer to it as the "that every-other-hole with backtracking stitch pattern". :0)

In the his 1950 book Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant, he refers to this as a "Stairstep Applique of One Thong."