Cferna27

Mystery machine?

Hi again, so I just picked up this old machine this week end and it has no manufacturer marks on it?

Looked briefly in the net but did not find any info. on it?

Can someone please help me in identifying this one?

Thanks again,

C.

20190729_172653.jpg

When you want an unmarked, antique machine identified, you usually take and post lots of pictures from different angles.

7 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

I suspect it's a Randall, but its missing some parts.

No, it's neither a Randall, nor a Campbell, nor a Union Lockstitch. It doesn't look like a Puritan either.

Yup, its a mystery.  The access cover is missing and the thread "swing arm" that sweeps the line to create the stitch is broken. The machine functions great and the internal gears are not corroded at all.  Its a compact and it looks like it can saw a 1/2 inch thick leather as well?  There is a ( gold or copper ish ) patina coat under the black paint?  Usually when this coat is present, the machine is a bit on the old side?

Thanks again every one.

Carlos

29 minutes ago, Matt S said:

It does ring a bell with an obscure harness machine, but I can't recall what it was.

I wonder if @Big Sioux Saddlery might recognise it?

I looked at this last night and I admit I'm stumped.  The top end looks like similar to a stripped down Campbell/Randall, but the bottom I don't recognize.   More views might be helpful.  Also, if there are any markings or part numbers on it anywhere, it might help someone identify it.

Here are  more PICS.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 12.52.54 PM.png

Will update with more pics tonight, and i think I did saw a serial number at the top, so I will get back with everyone ASAP.

Thanks again,

Carlos

4 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I looked at this last night and I admit I'm stumped.  The top end looks like similar to a stripped down Campbell/Randall, but the bottom I don't recognize.   More views might be helpful.  Also, if there are any markings or part numbers on it anywhere, it might help someone identify it.

I was thinking of a Bauer, but now I see the lower casting is quite different and the wheel is in the wrong place.

Almost reminds me of a Dohle 715, but again not.

It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in cast iron. Do we know for certain if it's a lock-stitch or chain-stitch?

When you get some more pics..try uploading them to tineye.com
If there are other images out there on the web that look like it , tineye can be useful to find them, it isn't "magical" , often it hasn't got anything relevant in it's database, but it can be useful sometimes for "mysteries".

Here are more pics.

20190731_171340.jpg

20190731_171253.jpg

Some more.

20190731_171407.jpg

I wonder if there's some markings on the bottom of the main casting.

It must be missing some parts. . .I don't see even a thread take-up arm or anything.  What sort of needle does it have in it?

I believe that it is some form of the New England Wax Thread Machine, see here at the top of the Smithsonian page.  https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/pdf/sewing-machines.pdf

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

I believe that it is some form of the New England Wax Thread Machine, see here at the top of the Smithsonian page.  https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/pdf/sewing-machines.pdf

That's maybe it!  It sure looks similar. It's a good direction to research.  Thank you again for this.

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

It must be missing some parts. . .I don't see even a thread take-up arm or anything.  What sort of needle does it have in it?

The take up arm is missing.  The awl and take off needles are much like the "Puritan" ones.

3 hours ago, Matt S said:

I wonder if there's some markings on the bottom of the main casting.

Hi. No markings. Just a serial number on the top.

As machinehead noted and directed the search towards. What I found was it is probably a The Ross, Moyer Manufacturing Co. machine from the 1870's that came in three sizes A,B,C for light Vamping (Shoe work) to Harnesses, Collars, Trunk Handles

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Y_c-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=new+england+wax+thread+machine?&source=bl&ots=R6UtQCmDj1&sig=ACfU3U3lfXc7S29kw7341zNuDd9wooouvQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig37iWvODjAhWum-AKHZ1BAMsQ6AEwDnoECGMQAQ#v=onepage&q=new england wax thread machine%3F&f=false

Chances are that the one you have is for the heavier work from the 1870's. Notice the predecessor to the patcher machines on the bottom of the page called " Alligator or Arm machine". That's the era they made heavy iron.

kgg

See also: Butterfield and Stevens, New England Wax Thread Sewing Machine Company, Butterfield and Haven, William Butterfield, Wickersham's Patent Machine Boston, Massachusetts

15 hours ago, kgg said:

As machinehead noted and directed the search towards. What I found was it is probably a The Ross, Moyer Manufacturing Co. machine from the 1870's that came in three sizes A,B,C for light Vamping (Shoe work) to Harnesses, Collars, Trunk Handles

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Y_c-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=new+england+wax+thread+machine?&source=bl&ots=R6UtQCmDj1&sig=ACfU3U3lfXc7S29kw7341zNuDd9wooouvQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig37iWvODjAhWum-AKHZ1BAMsQ6AEwDnoECGMQAQ#v=onepage&q=new england wax thread machine%3F&f=false

Chances are that the one you have is for the heavier work from the 1870's. Notice the predecessor to the patcher machines on the bottom of the page called " Alligator or Arm machine". That's the era they made heavy iron.

kgg

Thanks again !

...here is what I found in the patent web.

Heavy Iron indeed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 12.20.46 PM.png

On 7/31/2019 at 9:27 PM, kgg said:

kgg

Wow, thanks! I have no Idea there where so many diff. machines?  

Is it for sale? 
JR Wenger 

717-778-8735

4 hours ago, JRWSADDLES said:

Is it for sale? 
JR Wenger 

717-778-8735

Good luck getting a reply. This topic is 3 years old. But, ya never know!