3crowns

Old singer 111w155

I don’t have a lot of money to spend on a machine. Is this old singer worth putting money into. Would it be worth buying a servo motor and assembly. Say a speed reducer over a couple months and slowly refurbishing this machine for use. I’m making smaller light weight bags and wallets. I could afford to refubish it over the course of months.

65B60603-F04D-49A0-AD4B-0251591435AB.png

I have done this a couple times with finding a good head and setting it up on tables . The Head still needs a check-over timing and look for spots to clean and oil/lube .
Things you need .. Table with proper inlet/Hinges . Motor drive/Belt . You need to work-out a Knee-lift and linkage, or at least a pedal pull chain for presser foot lift . Also you need a Oil Pan . side-table bobbin rewind . Some extra Bobbins . String it all up, Get it all rolling and workout al the bugs to get it stitching like a champ .

Do you like to work on projects ? . or would you rather save a few hundred more-$ and buy something that you can just Plug-in and sew ?

Yeah, I guess with all that info and needs, I’m sure I could take on the project but is it worth the time and energy. I’m just getting started, so it’s kinda slow figuring things out as I go. Maybe I’ll wait and see if I can find something that doesn’t require so much work. Thanks for the post.

The ad says the table and motor is available for $100 more. I imagine the foot pedal, knee lift and maybe bobbin winder is on the table. I would definitely get that with the head.

I have seen better deals though. I just picked up a really nice and clean Juki 562 (similar machine with reverse) in running/sewing condition for $200. I just needed to get a new thread guide pin and upper thread guide. I'll also put a servo motor on it. I had to drive 150 miles to get it but it was well worth the drive. I would keep looking.

Edited by JJN
typo

Juki 562 for $200.00 was definitely worth driving 150 miles for :)

I'd agree, better to keep looking, and saving, rather than buy a potential money / time pit, when you have "cash in hand" you can bargain better.

ps JJN..I notice there that you have a Polaris RZR :) we met a guy last week, lives near us who owns one of only a handful of the Polaris Slingshot SLEs in France , the one with the back end that stays down on the road..very "cute 3 wheels" :)

I have one and it is my go to for leather bags and wallets. Definitely worth it at that price, even if you will be buying a servo and factor in another $135. In So Cal, those don’t come up often and when they do, most are $350+ with clutch motors and $500+ with servo motors. Parts are cheap and readily available.