Marievee

Bag making and layers

Hi everyone 

Bit of advice needed please. I've started making bags using light leather and also cotton fabric and interfacing. I use a singer 201k but the old girl isn't really the right thing to use. I would like a vintage machine still but preferably not a huge industrial. I dont need to go fast just need something for the layers. Is there a smallish vintage machine that is up to the job? 

Here for the meantime is a link to a leatherworker that works quite a bit with leather in the UK. In this he is with a singer 201

I suspect in your future keeping an eye on a “ walking foot “ type machine or technically termed compound. Some other will chime in with a few models that may help. 

Good day

Floyd

Hey Marievee  ...  I had a couple hundred words written down before it occurred to me ... just see Wizards welcome post   at 

It covers most of the basic questions and give you a leg up in your quest.

Have fun.

Lee in Florida

1 hour ago, Marievee said:

Hi everyone 

Bit of advice needed please. I've started making bags using light leather and also cotton fabric and interfacing. I use a singer 201k but the old girl isn't really the right thing to use. I would like a vintage machine still but preferably not a huge industrial. I dont need to go fast just need something for the layers. Is there a smallish vintage machine that is up to the job? 

Welcome, M.

Essentially there is no such machine as you're seeking. Vintage domestic machines are often prettier and cheaper than their modern equivalents but are more difficult to use for most practical purposes. I have yet to be shown a domestic machine that is suitable for any more than occasional use on light leather. The weight and bulk of industrial machines is simply a matter of the engineering needed to withstand the forces involved. Industrial tables can often be cut down, but even just the machine heads are too heavy for easy portability. Most suitable would be something along the lines of a Singer 17 or Seiko TE -- fairly lightweight head (a little heavier than a 201) with good capabilities and readily available needles and bobbins -- IF you can find one of the sub-variants with compound feed.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? There may well be a member nearby who can show you what they use, or a good dealer that you can visit nearby.

What makes your limits, is it price, space, or just like old machines, there can be lots of machines suitable for leather work available depending on the thickness of leather you intend to use, even new juki 1181N at only £700 which has a walking foot and brand new see https://www.industrialsewing.co.uk/industrial-sewing-machines/lock-stitch/juki-du-1181n-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine?gclid=CjwKCAjwm4rqBRBUEiwAwaWjjPgjIQXRomBZ_Q6Mhuu9Q8xN-GG_4Cxuun9v5pfEnEzB30VQIDckoBoCEycQAvD_BwE

Ebay prices seem stilly money in that they are normally well overpriced and no comback if they have problems

Much of the difficulty people with domestic machines have sewing leather has to do with the bottom only feed. The same problems carry over when these folks buy industrial tailoring machines and get the same results. This happened to me when I first got into sewing leather. It wasn't until I learned about and acquired walking foot machines that I began getting the best results, especially when reaching seams that stop feeding with a fixed flat presser foot.

Takeaway: Buy a walking foot machine with triple feed. Order it with a controllable and powerful servo motor and maybe even a 3:1 speed reducer for the utmost slow speed control. The Consew P1206RB is an excellent example of such a machine.

Whatever you do , do not get a sailright..( think Reliant Robin or Trabant of sewing machines ) get a true walking foot machine..and if you need simple zig-zag with wide bight..look out for a used Singer 20U..( the ones with the paler blue and the thread stand that folds up from behind are better than the ones with the thread holder horizontal on the top )you can also , with a bit of practice, ( and a swap out needle plate ) use the Singer20U to do freehand embroidery work.

Thank you so much everyone. Great advice. I think I may need to buy new some of the old machines look a little rough

Does anyone know what these are like?

Singer 457g not sure if its walking foot? It's got a strange rotary take up

Thanks guys xxx