I'm looking for a flatbed walking foot machine with a high lift, 20mm,  or more, for sewing backpack harness parts with. I currently use a 1541s for most of my sewing but I struggle with 3/8" closed cell foam(4lb density), multiple layers of Cordura and nylon webbing. It works but it's a struggle. I cannot fit 1/2" closed cell foam parts in this machine. I have been looking at the Juki LU-2810s, which has a 20mm lift. Does anyone have experience with this machine or recommendations for a high lift flatbed walking foot?

Thanks

What needle and thread are you happy with using now in your projects. 

Just curious on the material compressing and all that. Considering the thickness I am wondering if there is any deflection problems now, as the 2810 uses what needle system. 

Floyd

2 minutes ago, brmax said:

What needle and thread are you happy with using now in your projects. 

Just curious on the material compressing and all that. Considering the thickness I am wondering if there is any deflection problems now, as the 2810 uses what needle system. 

Floyd

135 either a 20 or 21. I don't break needles.  it's mainly a space issue. Thread nylon #69.

Juki LU-2800 series are really nice, if you think it's what you are looking for, I would jump on one for sure.  

On 8/1/2019 at 12:55 PM, alpine luddite said:

135 either a 20 or 21. I don't break needles.  it's mainly a space issue. Thread nylon #69.

having more lift would be great. I have been eyeballing that juki for a awhile also, and It has the punch and power . I still wanting some more Lift , and been using a heavy Consew RB1461A for a lot of years on the heavier side of things, it has good punch threw multi-layer of materials . I wish my Consew had more lift, but there does come a point when you just run out of needle with a 135x17 length and material height.

That Juki LU-2810 has more lift, and I am getting one of them sooner or latter when the ( money materializes in my wallet ) the opportunity comes by me .
The RB1461A does good but I think the Juki definitely has a couple more +plus's going for it . Here is a Pic. of ,  2-layers of  1000 den. .. 1/2" scrim backed foam .. a piece of 1" webbing fold-over the top . more lift would be a great asset.

-

.00.jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

I have the LU-2810A (Euro style Durkopp Adler type feet instead of Singer standard)

I sew heavy nylons and leather trims, 69 thread and up. It can walk over literally any assembly I throw at it.  In fact, I would say if I ran into a situation where it couldn't walk over a given assembly, I should probably re-think the design.

Only other machine I would consider in this class would be the Adler 867. The Juki will be quite a bit less money in the US market.

As much as I love to own a 867, it is definitely not in the budget. I hate even watching Vid. of it's performance and all it's factory extra bells and whistles because it just makes me want one more . the 867 is in a class of it's own . I will have to Slumdog it, ....LOL . The Juki is in my-$$ range though, and I know it is a real workhorse with also affordable parts .

Edited by nylonRigging

The Juki 2810 is a copy of the Durkopp/Adler 867.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar