Constabulary

Speed Reducer mounted directly onto Servo Motor

This is not my idea - the pictures come from German sewing machine forum (I have permission to post them here).

For sure it depends on the servo motor it self but it this is a rather smart  idea I think wen you have (space) issues mounting the speed reducer under the table.

What do you guys think of this solution?

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (1).JPG

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (2).JPG

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (3).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

That looks like a great concept. Would like to be able to set mine up like that. 

Thats a very nice setup. It’s also interesting how these changes are taking place, especially toward the weight of materials used or not necessarily! Being a requirement to use, compared to the past.

Where some motors we have like the venerable clutch type and such were dependent in their own strength to carry itself.

Thanks for posting 

Floyd

53 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

This is not my idea - the pictures come from German sewing machine forum (I have permission to post them here).

For sure it depends on the servo motor it self but it this is a rather smart  idea I think wen you have (space) issues mounting the speed reducer under the table.

What do you guys think of this solution?

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (1).JPG

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (2).JPG

Speed reducer mounted to Servo (3).JPG

I like it, i prefer this one tho that mounts in the same holes as the servo and the servo mounts to the bottom of it...I just installed this on my adler 67-372 and it made a world of difference, i can actually turn a corner and go slow enough while still punching through heavier leather.

Re the pics posted by Constabulary from the German forum..
Looks to be a way to save space, and allow possibly easier access for changing of belts..but.I don't understand the point of using round cross section belts ( which look to be leather ? like on old pedal powered machines ) in pulleys designed to run trapezoidal section rubber / fibre composite ones with teeth..Lot of power is being lost there due to the very small area of contact on the pulley surfaces by a round belt instead of ones that fit the pulley slot profile.

Edited by mikesc

Ah.. that is OK then.. ;)
I have to confess I had a "temporary belt" ( bungee cord ) on one machine for 6 months! ;)

I like it! It can only work with that particular style of reducer, of course, but it's a very neat solution to mounting it.

I still run leather belts on several of my machine and have no problems with them.

I am unable to buy "M" V belts locally and I can make them in minutes if I make any changes to my set up, like change heads on one of my tables.

Bert.

Nice and compact. Do you know what the reduction is?

kgg

14 hours ago, mikesc said:

Ah.. that is OK then.. ;)
I have to confess I had a "temporary belt" ( bungee cord ) on one machine for 6 months! ;)

Red Green says, "remember folks, this is only temporary...........unless it works".

Hey guys,

(Ok, I confess: It was me ;-)

It's a Ø4cm/Ø13cm part ordered from Sieck here in Gemany http://www.sieck.de/maschinen/naehmaschinen/schuh-schaft-herstellung/diverse-naehmaschinen/?produkt=9237

But you can get the same device at http://www.cowboysew.com/product911.htm

or https://www.allbrands.com/products/39722-techsew-sr-speed-reducer-slows-down-handwheel-rpm

(prices DO vary...)

I used the leather belts just because they were easy to make at that moment and I could tweak the length so I would know which exact length of V-belts to order.

In the pictures you can see the parts I used and the installed carrier without the speedreducer mounted.

The star shaped head screw and modified hex nut are optional, a standard bolt and nut do the job, you then just need tools to tighten.

Cheers, Pete...

SRM_01.JPG

SRM_03.JPG

5 hours ago, Pterytus said:

Hey guys,

Thank you for inventing this elegant and simple mounting solution and sharing the details with us.

Thanks also for the sourcing links - interesting that the identical part is available in Germany for a mere third of what vendors here in North America charge.

This looks like a great idea.  I had that style of speed reducer mounted to the table, but I didn't like it because I couldn't tip the machine head back.  This should solve that issue.

I went with a box type speed reducer, which works great too.  This is a very clever idea you came up with.  

Nice work.

Dang! Should've patented it first, then... ;-D

No, really: Thank you guys for your kind words and I'm glad if you like and/or use it for your own setup (As in: Why is there so little space under such a big table?).

Cheers, Pete...

6 hours ago, Pterytus said:

Dang! Should've patented it first, then... ;-D

No, really: Thank you guys for your kind words and I'm glad if you like and/or use it for your own setup (As in: Why is there so little space under such a big table?).

Cheers, Pete...

Great thinking....Hang around some @Pterytus I love to see more of this type of thinking.

21 hours ago, Pterytus said:

Hey guys,

There he is - the inventor  :notworthy:    ;)

Thanks for jumping in here and sharing more details.

Yeah, I think I'm going to make it a Habit: Decent idea - once a decade - sounds like a plan! ;-)

Cheers, Pete...