Timbo

Handmade awl hafts / NEW LOWERED PRICES!!!!

Not having any luck selling these, so I lowered the prices. Now you can get a handmade haft or awl for the price of a factory made Osborne...... and help out a fellow leather craftsman in the process!!! 

I recently learned how to use a wood lathe, after all these years of wood working and having access to it, I finally started using it. 

So I decided to make some awl hafts. The chucks are expoxied in and go about an inch and a half deep with the extension I put on them. 

Each haft comes with 5 brass collets to fit anything you want to chuck into it. Some small enough to chuck a sewing needle into as well.

I am posting pics of them as well as some scratch awls I made from up cycled hammer drill and concrete drill bits. 

All the hafts are white oak and some have been stained with vinegaroon to turn them gray, some are natural. All are finished with wax and buffed smooth. No poly.

The scratch awls are walnut handles.

The one black awl haft is what I think is Douglas fir from a 112 year old church. It is good stuff but light weight. The vinegaroon turned it coal black!! Which I think looks pretty cool. This is old tight grained wood. Close grain that you can't find anymore. 

I am asking $20.00 each for the awl hafts and $15.00 each for the scratch awls. 

I am currently in Missouri and that is where they will ship from. I have looked into shipping and it looks like shipping will be cheapest with USPS Priority Mail. If anyone has any better ideas please let me know. But it looks like shipping will be $7.50.

I will be taking payment through PayPal. If you would like to purchase one please respond to this posting with what number you want and also email me at: drunkhorsecustomleather@gmail.com

If you want more than one let me know that too and there will only be one shipping charge. 

I have included a lot of pics including one of each in my hand so you get an idea of the size. If you would like more pics or information, please ask.

So with that here are the goods!!! Sort through the pics and see if there is something you like!!! And thanks for looking! 

haft1.jpg

haft2.jpg

haft3.jpg

haft4.jpg

haft5.jpg

haft6.jpg

awl1.jpg

awl2.jpg

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

five.jpg

six.jpg

seven.jpg

eight.jpg

nine.jpg

ten.jpg

drill1.jpg

drill2.jpg

drill3.jpg

Would someone please give me some honest criticism as to why nobody is interested in these??

maybe you should try etsy or some other type of marketplace for these types of goods. 

I cant speak as to why no one is buying your products but I myself have no need for anymore awls and if I can speak honestly

I'm not a fan of the hand ground looking scratch awls as to me being in the precision metal manufacturing world I don't find them to be pleasing to my eye. although they are artsy looking.

anyways I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm sure your products are quality. take care -

I like them all, and I think your price is good, personally, I just don't need another awl.

Thanks for the input guys. It is appreciated.

Number 2 and 4 are sold!!!

I took a flyer on a couple of these and am pleased beyond belief.  Five collets (each haft comes with five replaceable collets) assure you that anything you want to put in them will fit, and they are HEFTY!!!  I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelf.  Great work, Tim, and thanks for the speedy response.

Edited by SaddleBags
spelling error

Thank you Rick!!!! Glad you like them!!

@Timbo I would be interested in the awl hafts 1 and 3.

They are yours Tony!!! Thank you so much!!!

What do you have left?

Timbo, I'm glad that your awl hafts are selling now.  Personally, I like the "repurposed" look of the scratch awls, but everybody's taste is different obviously.

For me, awls are tough to buy without a "test drive".  What feels good to some doesn't to others.  As you know, there are a lot of variations in awl hafts and there are even "ergonomic" shapes that supposedly fit the hand better.

Your awls are certainly a great value at the current price.  I'm sure that you don't want to have to discount them though.  One thing you might consider is reducing the variety down to perhaps three models.  Those models can vary a bit in size so that there is a choice for those with small hands and a choice or two for those with larger hands.  

I'm only speaking for myself, but sometimes when I'm faced with too many choices I just move on.

Good luck in whatever route you choose.

26 minutes ago, bland said:

What do you have left?

Awl hafts 5 through 10 are still available. They are all white oak. And all of the scratch awls are available. Let me know which ones you are are interested in!!

28 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Timbo, I'm glad that your awl hafts are selling now.  Personally, I like the "repurposed" look of the scratch awls, but everybody's taste is different obviously.

For me, awls are tough to buy without a "test drive".  What feels good to some doesn't to others.  As you know, there are a lot of variations in awl hafts and there are even "ergonomic" shapes that supposedly fit the hand better.

Your awls are certainly a great value at the current price.  I'm sure that you don't want to have to discount them though.  One thing you might consider is reducing the variety down to perhaps three models.  Those models can vary a bit in size so that there is a choice for those with small hands and a choice or two for those with larger hands.  

I'm only speaking for myself, but sometimes when I'm faced with too many choices I just move on.

Good luck in whatever route you choose.

Thanks for the advice!! It is appreciated!!

3 hours ago, arashikage said:

@Timbo I would be interested in the awl hafts 1 and 3.

They are in the mail and on the way!!!

43 minutes ago, Timbo said:

They are in the mail and on the way!!!

Awesome! Thank you!

4 hours ago, Rodeoman said:

Can I get a #1?

I don't have any more chucks to make more. But #'s 7,9 or 10 would be a close shape to #1. 

If I had any chucks left I'd be glad to make you one but I've got them all epoxied in. 
Let me know if you think any of those will work for you.
Thanks
Tim

2 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I don't have any more chucks to make more. But #'s 7,9 or 10 would be a close shape to #1. 

If I had any chucks left I'd be glad to make you one but I've got them all epoxied in. 
Let me know if you think any of those will work for you.
Thanks
Tim

Can you not get more of the chucks? Its the material I love

2 minutes ago, Rodeoman said:

Can you not get more of the chucks? Its the material I love

I can but it takes awhile and I have to buy in quantity. Let me see what else I can come up with.