MarkCdub

Stitching chisel case

I wanted a relatively quick and easy project.  I'm trying to get back into it and I wanted a "win" to get me going.  I made this case for my stitching chisels.  Not great, but I like it and its functional.  Plus it was good practice for stitching and cutting.

20190802_184143-1.jpg

20190802_184212-1.jpg

Awesome! I've tried three of these things and have failed each time, so kudos!

YinTx

Thanks, lets just say it was pretty hairy getting the chisels in the case.  I have some battle scars and the chisels drew first blood lol.  Once I got the chisles in the case, I dunked the whole thing in water for a second or 2 so I could make the cover fold, and burnish around the chisel handles to loosen up the slots.  Works good and they slide in and out with just enough friction so they dont slide out accidentally.  Ive got the pattern making and sewing down well enough, now I just need to figure out how to cut the leather easier...

Nice looking job. The 1st thing that came to mind, is the edge distance of your stitching. I think slightly closer to the edge of your project might be a better look.

Second thing is your stitching. It looks pretty good, but my OCD forced me to comment on 2 lines head south and 3 lines heading north! ARRRGGHHH! :whistle:

Also with your stitching, I start my stitching in the 3rd or 4th hole, stitch 2 or 3 stitches back to the beginning, then do the whole length and finish by back-stitching the same 2 or 3 stitches to lock off the thread. Where possible, I would finish near the top of your case, so I could hide the end of the thread inside the case.

I agree with the north/south stitching.  I could not figure out how to keep in sturdy enough in the pony while stitching.  Also because I used a stitching chisel, my stitches flattened out.  I'm not thrilled with the way my stitches looked after I hammered them flat.  I think next time I will try to put a groove so the stitches will sit flush with the leather or maybe not flatten them out.  I will be ordering another set of stitching chisels at 4 spi, I believe these are 5 spi so it will give ke another chance to improve.

Edited by MarkCdub

I would suggest 7 or 8 spi is a nice size about 3,38 to 3.85mm seems to fit most things

The grove was a traditional method still used by some, but most now have a flush stitch on top and if you cast the stitches they show a nice offset stitch

You can get much thinner thread like 0.6 and 0.8mm, you could experiment with say 0.6 with the 3,38mm and 0.8 with the 3,85mm, there is no rule its all whatever you feel looks nice

Lol, I think that I just found my next projects; leather cases for my leather tools :)

Considering the nature of this project, (something quick and easy to motivate you), not a bad job.