panku82

Celtic Fender Bib

After the grips I did I decided to learn how to draw celtic style and this is what I came up with for a fender bib.. not perfect but for my first drawing of celtic work on my own ... yeah I think I like it :)

2066476786_finalfenderbib.thumb.jpg.e31a398a392cc3abe3e21d35ccce7de6.jpg

It looks great. I've been wanting to make a fender bib for a long time and finally started on it this week. The hardest part so far has been trying to come up with a design I like. I can't draw to save my life so I finally found a drawing I want to use. Yours came out great though. Did you form it to the fender or just leave it flat? Can't really tell from the photo. I'm thinking I should form it.

Forming it is used a lot and I've done that with a couple bibs but I live in Tx and we get a little hot  and I have seen the bib start to curl at the edges if it isn't taken care of properly ( How many people actually will do what we tell em about conditioning it O.o LoL )but I think forming would still probably work with a thicker piece like a 5/6 or 6/7 oz.  I used a lighter leather 3/4 so I used a piece of Kydex formed to the fender (which is why you see a couple ripples, still learning to work with that stuff)  and then glued (DAP Weldwood) my top and back to that then braided it. It's hard to see but that piece is actually laying completely curved to my fender.   Hope that helps explain it a bit better.  For your drawing ... Hell I can't draw for crap either just try my best and practice, practice, practice :)

Edited by panku82

Very nice:)

Yep thanks for explaining. Good idea using the Kydex. Mine is thicker (7/8 oz) so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it flopping around. I'm planning to wet form it to my fender. I'm also planning to try my first attempt at braiding. I hope it comes out as good as yours.

42 minutes ago, TargetRockLeather said:

Yep thanks for explaining. Good idea using the Kydex. Mine is thicker (7/8 oz) so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it flopping around. I'm planning to wet form it to my fender. I'm also planning to try my first attempt at braiding. I hope it comes out as good as yours.p your 

Yeah with that thick of a piece it should keep it's shape no problem and wet forming is the way I'd go. I included a side pic so you could see the curve I put in it.  As for the braiding once it's started it's just a repetitive pattern the key is to make sure you always keep your lace straight and don't get twists in it. Also, don't try to use too long of a lace. I stick to around a 6' to 7' length and just splice as needed. 1027068118_fenderbibcurve.thumb.jpg.998825dd746efa5750388950c85e11e3.jpgI use the Tandy Lacing & Stitching book and also recommend the Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding  by Bruce Grant.   Thank you for the kind comments it is truly appreciated.  Have a blessed day and many beautiful projects :)

On 8/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, panku82 said:

Yeah with that thick of a piece it should keep it's shape no problem and wet forming is the way I'd go. I included a side pic so you could see the curve I put in it.  As for the braiding once it's started it's just a repetitive pattern the key is to make sure you always keep your lace straight and don't get twists in it. Also, don't try to use too long of a lace. I stick to around a 6' to 7' length and just splice as needed. I use the Tandy Lacing & Stitching book and also recommend the Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding  by Bruce Grant.   Thank you for the kind comments it is truly appreciated.  Have a blessed day and many beautiful projects :)

I ended up not lacing after all. A few people convinced me that it wouldn't match my bike as well as just the plain black border. I did wet form it to the fender though and that gave it a perfect fit. I haven't given up on lacing though. I bought the tools and some lace and will practice with that so I will be able to use it in the future. If you're interested, here are some pics of mine. It needs some fancy bolts of some sort. I'm still learning tooling and it is NOT my own drawing. I found the picture online and adapted it for my purposes. Thanks for the advice!

bib1.thumb.jpg.d678ba5598302a6ef76b7b3945fa36cb.jpgbib2.jpg.44506f30c084e08e550fd610e8657ce0.jpgbib3.jpg.23d0bd68d85cd22562bf50a9f08e1a5c.jpg

That looks good and before I started learning to draw I found all my outlines online and just adjusted them to fit. Gauging by that color on the fender you have a 2008 Anniversary Edition  ( Heritage maybe ?)  and the way you did the 2 tone matches well.  Good Job!

Thank you. Yes it's a 2008 Heritage. You know your Harleys!