Treesner

strongest double cap rivet

hey guys I'm using some Tandy double cap rivets right now and I'm worried about the strength, what would be some really strong ones, I'm using them for a loop that will have a strap pulling on it. 

I feel like the copper rivets would be stronger but need something quicker than that for this project. Also how far out the top should the double cap rivet be sticking out from top of the material, also for reference what would be the minimum and maximum that would allow them to work?

The post of the rivet should stick out by about 3mm (minimum) to 4mm (maximum)

Any less than 3mm and there is not enough of the post to crush into the head, any more than about 4mm and there is too much post crushing into the head and the rivet head will be deflected to one side. Both make poor joins, but the short one is worse.

As for strength; the guige strap on this shield  is held by a single 11mm head rivet on each end. The shield weighs about 8kg and the users of these shields flung them about by the guige strap. Never a fault happened,

1668896415_shield102s.thumb.jpg.d1b56c8188352eeff0a23c1fbab72e32.jpg

704781290_shield203s.JPG.8bbe9de75e68813961a6fe4705637e9a.JPG

1 hour ago, fredk said:

The post of the rivet should stick out by about 3mm (minimum) to 4mm (maximum)

Any less than 3mm and there is not enough of the post to crush into the head, any more than about 4mm and there is too much post crushing into the head and the rivet head will be deflected to one side. Both make poor joins, but the short one is worse.

As for strength; the guige strap on this shield  is held by a single 11mm head rivet on each end. The shield weighs about 8kg and the users of these shields flung them about by the guige strap. Never a fault happened,

thanks for the info sounds like I should shoot for 1/8" if possible. 

what is the brand and material of the 11mm rivets you've had good strength from? 

Brand: dunno, I got them from Le Prevo many years ago. I got 1000 so I'm still using them up

Material: they are nickle coated steel (despite them looking like brass in the photo, they are nickle silver)

On the shield they go through; 9mm of laminated board and about 4mm of the leather tab. There is just a tad over 3mm of the stem left for the head. I just give the rivet a great big whack to set it and it countersinks itself a wee bit.

If you are using the steel double cap rivets from Tandy then the strength is of no question as they are very durable and strong as long as they are used properly.  On the item page for the rivets you will find what the actual measurements of the cap widths and post lengths are for each size so all you have to do is calculate how thick all of the leather being secured is and then match the correct rivet size to cover it.  It is very easy to figure out.  Even the solid brass rivets are capable of holding up to what you are trying to accomplish.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, Treesner said:

I'm worried about the strength

Setting rivets used to be a headache for me, as they would occasionally not set right and come apart under pressure. I would try to make sure that I imparted enough pressure with my rivet setter, but that would sometimes lead to an unwanted impression in the surrounding leather. And other times the rivet would set "off center" and have to be removed and reset. I solved my rivet problems by purchasing a bench style rivet setter. Nary a problem since.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

but that would sometimes lead to an unwanted impression in the surrounding leather. And other times the rivet would set "off center" and have to be removed and reset. I solved my rivet problems by purchasing a bench style rivet setter. Nary a problem since.

can you share any pic samle? the tool and the item

Edited by nrk

I had some issues with even the heavy duty rivets so I decided to experiment a bit. I used the hollow copper rivets and the burr from a copper rivet & burr set. I had to drill out the burr a bit but I know they aren't going to come apart. I tried pulling apart 2 pieces of 9 oz bridle leather I put together using the method and I failed before the connection did. Not the most economical method but if I was doing a large number I would just try and find the burr's packaged separately.