Starwind0

Wax Canvas in US

Wow its weirdly hard to get Wax Canvas! I got normal canvas, I am going to have to was myself, but I rather just buy a bolt of it.

Recommendations? Looking for like bag / apron thickness. No idea what that would be. 

I found some but the prices were very high and untrustworthy..  Like 25 a yard (non waxed is 6 a yard today) 

I think Springfield Leather carries it. 

They do, but they are too expensive at 40 a yard to consider. I am sure its really special but if I have to pay over 17 a yard, I will take the 6 a yard canvas I bought at Joans and do it myself. 

fairfieldfabrics is criminal however. Their base prices are good but require 5 yards min, fine. Whats not okay is then charging me 15 for my "small order" .. okay I get it... THEN 60 dollar for shipping... So in the end the total was more than my whole hide order of BADALASSI CARLO from RML. 

I am seeing some Etsy shops, they probably bulk order from fairfieldfabrics and resell for a smaller profit. 

Edited by Starwind0

58 minutes ago, Starwind0 said:

They do, but they are too expensive at 40 a yard to consider. I am sure its really special but if I have to pay over 17 a yard, I will take the 6 a yard canvas I bought at Joans and do it myself. 

fairfieldfabrics is criminal however. Their base prices are good but require 5 yards min, fine. Whats not okay is then charging me 15 for my "small order" .. okay I get it... THEN 60 dollar for shipping... So in the end the total was more than my whole hide order of BADALASSI CARLO from RML. 

I am seeing some Etsy shops, they probably bulk order from fairfieldfabrics and resell for a smaller profit. 

DLS is 18/yard.

https://districtleathersupply.com/collections/canvas

I get all of my waxed canvas from ALfrances Textiles on Etsy. I’ve tried others but this is the best IMHO.  All bees wax. No petroleums. It’s what I call a dry wax meaning it doesn’t feel ‘wet’ like the oily types of waxing some use. 

Its about $21-30/yd and well worth it. 

You might have a look at Big Duck Canvas. They only sell wholesale, but you said you would buy a roll. Think it is around $13/yd for a 50 yd roll. They have been really good to deal with.

1 hour ago, blue duck said:

You might have a look at Big Duck Canvas. They only sell wholesale, but you said you would buy a roll. Think it is around $13/yd for a 50 yd roll. They have been really good to deal with.

I want to buy at most 5 yards. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just trying the material. 

3 hours ago, Khab said:

I get all of my waxed canvas from ALfrances Textiles on Etsy. I’ve tried others but this is the best IMHO.  All bees wax. No petroleums. It’s what I call a dry wax meaning it doesn’t feel ‘wet’ like the oily types of waxing some use. 

Its about $21-30/yd and well worth it. 

I sent them a message as they are in Austin county

If you just want to try it out, wax your own.  I refuse to pay the crazy prices and only use a small volume so I don't mind spending the time.  I try to find bigger remnants from Joann's (so $3.50/yard if it's on sale that week) then melt up a mix of 90% beeswax 10% parrafin (mini crock pot with the Reynold's liners is great for this) and paint on thin layer with a natural bristle brush.  Then I take my cheapo iron with a layer of aluminum foil over it, and to a few passes over the canvas so the wax melts into the fibers.  It doesn't come out as perfectly even as if you bought it from a manufacturer, but once you work with it and you start seeing the fold marks and patina developing it looks great.

I second big Duck Canvas. Great folks to work with.

Karina

big duck out of Georgia is the place . never use to but now you need to buy 10 yds at a time

1 hour ago, thunter9 said:

big duck out of Georgia is the place . never use to but now you need to buy 10 yds at a time

That didn't last long, too many complaints so they went back to the old ways of no minimums.

Karina

I hadn't heard that Karina. That is some good news there. So @Starwind0 check them out. Lots of canvas options with them.

you have started the topic with 'hard to get' and not with 'i don't have a budget to buy'