Sign in to follow this  
dreamsicle23

Help finding dealer and narrowing down choices

I've been researching low-to-mid end industrial machines exhaustively for months, and the #1 advice I keep seeing is, "Go to a local dealer and try them out with the materials you use."  That sounds lovely, except that I apparently live in a sewing machine desert.  I am a little outside Boston and I can't seem to find listings for ANY legit dealers less than 3-ish hours away, and the few I'm finding look to only have one or two brands.  Is there a secret network of dealers that don't really advertise themselves to the public?  Do any of you who know the industry better know of any dealers in New England?

In the meantime, I try to keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay, classifieds etc. but since I haven't been able to try machines out I'm still not 100% sure on the right one for me.  I am not looking to sew leather exclusively, but I'd like to be able to include leather components on bags & wallets.  An ideal machine would be able to handle a couple layers of canvas or upholstery-weight fabric on the low end, and 2-3 layers of mid-weight leather or 2-4 layers of heavier fabric + 1 layer of mid-weight layer on the high end.   If that's too big of a range, the higher-end is more important than the lower end, as I have a couple domestic machines that can usually handle stuff like that.  It really looks like the Juki DU-1181N would be "enough" for me, but I'm terrified of ordering something that's over $1000 and winding up disappointed.  If anyone has any insight that I likely haven't come across searching this forum I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

I called several dealers and asked them the same questions.  Types of materials, how would it handle this or that, and just wrote their answers down.  It took me about 4 months to buy the last machine I got.  Reverse and replacement parts were my #1.  

1 hour ago, Bayou Bengal said:

I called several dealers and asked them the same questions.  Types of materials, how would it handle this or that, and just wrote their answers down.  It took me about 4 months to buy the last machine I got.  Reverse and replacement parts were my #1.  

Thanks for the advice.  I've been avoiding spending that much time on the phone but I'm probably going to have to suck it up!

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Thanks for replying.  You're doing a great service sharing all your knowledge!  That Consew is one of the others I kept coming back to.  Do you, by any chance, know how much of an ordeal it would be to transition between setup for lighter materials and heavier?  

50 minutes ago, dreamsicle23 said:

Do you, by any chance, know how much of an ordeal it would be to transition between setup for lighter materials and heavier? 

Trivial. Change needle and thread, wind appropriate bobbins in advance. Tweak top tension and foot pressure to hold down thicker/denser leather, then back off for thinner and softer stuff. Use round point needles for fabrics and vinyl and use leather points for leather.

21 hours ago, dreamsicle23 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I've been avoiding spending that much time on the phone but I'm probably going to have to suck it up!

Maaaaan, if they want that sale, they can talk for a little bit.  Most of them warm up to you after about 5 minutes when they realize you’re actually considering making the investment.  Cowboy Bob was excellent to talk to and Cobra Steve is one of my favorite people to harass.  Also, there’s a machine company in Tennessee that is slipping my mind right now, but the guy that helped me there is top notch as well.  Don’t be afraid to tell them what you know, or what you think you know, because they can set you straight if you’re wrong or have preconceived notions.  Also, that wizcrafts feller above me up there is a great resource.  

Try calling Central Penn Sewing they are close just ask for Mike he can walk you thru clone vrs real deal, plus has used and rebuilt machines available. So does Cowboy Bob, he is in OH and has a used 441 205370 OEM model he offered me.

I called all over US and CA for a machine and found several in like new/ used cond. Compared clones vrs OEM machines had offers deals on 3 oem machines. 

Then I got a very low hour OEM Juki shipped in, went over it with fine tooth come, replaced a few minor OEM parts and it is running like a top for 30-35% of cost new. Take your time, know the market  pricing, and jump when the right offer shows up. Check Ebay craigslist and google used commercial sewing  machines, make the calls and ask the questions. Get real clear pics of everything and expect to clean or make little repairs or replace minor stuff. The more you know the more you will save.

Talk to every dealer you want to call tell them what you are doing and ask for recommendation then ask if they have used models in stock.   The more time you spend looking and pricing the better you will be able to make a fair offer to both you and the seller of the machine.