Hoowzer

Motor Replacement for 29K60

So we need to replace the motor to my mom's Singer 29K60 machine.

She had an old school Dayton Sewing Machine Conversion Kit installed ( 1/15hp, 115 Volts AS-DC) Model 2X420.

Seems like Dayton may have gone out of business. Are there other options to procure another motor kit?

I saw some online such as this, but want to ensure I'm buying the right one.

Thanks so much.

Your link is to a regular domestic textile sewing machine motor. What does your mom want to do with her patcher?

The only way you're going to get help on this forum is to post pictures of the motor and its path to the machine pulley. We are used to dealing with motors rated at 1/2 to 3/4 horsepower, not 1/15th.

As for the type of motor you linked to, it is a typical throwaway household sewing machine motor and vari-speed pedal. They are sold by numerous domestic sewing machine dealers, rebuilders and enthusiasts. The price seems unusually low to me. I usually see these combinations sell for 50 to 70 bucks. I wouldn't trust or even plug in anything that cheap.

A Singer patcher is best powered by a 1/3 HP to 1/2 HP motor.

One of the Singer 29K70 machines that I have came to me with a household sewing machine motor fitted to it.  Actually, it worked fairly well for fabrics and thin leathers, which is about all that the 29-series is good for sewing anyway.  They had mounted the motor on a small piece of thin angle iron screwed to the shoulder of the head, and ran a 3/16-inch round leather belt on it.  The basic household foot control was mounted with one screw onto the top of the normal 29-style treadle stand under the machine pillar, had a hole drilled in the foot pedal, and had a small chain attached down to the original treadle stand foot plate.  I believe that my motor was a Dayton, but I can’t seem to locate any photos of its nameplate, and no telling where the motor is now.  I stripped it all off of the machine immediately and converted it back to treadle years ago.

The problem that you may run into is the pulley size on the replacement household motor.  It seems like it needs to be as large as the pulleys on the 29K in order to avoid belt slippage. Maybe you can use the pulley off of the old motor?  My Dayton motor had a pulley on it that matched the pulleys on the machine head, and was wider/deeper than normal household pulleys, so the 3/16” belting worked fine.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine72_09.jpg

19 hours ago, Hoowzer said:

So we need to replace the motor to my mom's Singer 29K60 machine.

She had an old school Dayton Sewing Machine Conversion Kit installed ( 1/15hp, 115 Volts AS-DC) Model 2X420.

Seems like Dayton may have gone out of business. Are there other options to procure another motor kit?

Thanks so much.

Unfortunately I don't have an actual photo as I live across the country, but my parents did share this with me which is the current configuration that they have setup at home. This looks identical to what cdthayer has done with his sewing machine

1565187839050.jpg

Edited by Hoowzer

20 hours ago, Hoowzer said:

iSo we need to replace the motor to my mom's Singer 29K60 machine.

Thanks so much.

That motor won't be strong enough to run it with 0.9 amps,there is a 1.5 amp motor available that we stock if you need one.

Edited by CowboyBob

18 hours ago, cdthayer said:

so the 3/16” belting worked fine

That was an error.  I should have said 1/4" round leather belting.

CD in Oklahoma

9 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

That motor won't be strong enough to run it with 0.9 amps,there is a 1.5 amp motor available that we stock if you need one.

Is it a new motor? Can you share model and pricing?

Hoowzer

I would guess if the old motor worked and you were happy with it then just get a replacement from the same makersee https://www.ebay.com/c/1684286080

But there is also plentiful simular motors at very low price on  ebay with a larger power 

It all depends on what you want to sew and how thick it is especially if veg tan as most patchers would probably have been used on Chrome leather for shoes and boots

Hobby people like myself with little money from a pension, have to make do with what we can afford, in my case using leather under 2mm mostly about 1.4mm to make things and have a Singer 201 domestic machine (uprated from 60W to a massive 90W) that can sew the thin chrome leather ok with 69 thread and I also have a 29K53 which will do the veg tan and canvas, neither is perfect for the job and I would love a better option, but hard to justify

Sometimes the professionals sell you the perfect answer to your needs and sell you a car, when a bicycle will do the job but not as well

ps Massive was tongue in cheek

Edited by chrisash

It is not the motor which would screw you up - it is the pedal. If you have an old style nichrome coil pedal, then it would overheat when running a more powerful motor then stock.

2 hours ago, Hoowzer said:

What's this referencing? 

Nothing in particular. There was a bee in the house. I deleted the comment.

So I think we'll try to get a Family Sew Fs 550S Motor installed on here, however, does anyone have thoughts on how this should be mounted? I've tried to find instructions or videos to no avail.

Image result for singer 29k60

The treadle stand actually is an ADLER 30 stand. There was a motor mount for this stand. I never owned one but have a few pictures. maybe it gives you an idea for a DIY mount or so.

When you have a FS550 motor you can mount it on the underside and the drive belt goes from the motor pulley to the large pulley on the stand.

When you are buying a servo motor similar to the JACK JK-513A you also can mount the motor upside down on top of the motor mount (or bolt the motor directly to lower the machine body) and mount the accelerator unit underneath the mount. This way you can leave out the heavy pulley. Just wanted to give you another idea... Choice is yours ;)

Adler 30 Motorhalterung (3).jpg

Adler 30 Motorhalterung (1).jpg

Adler 30 Motorhalterung (2).jpg

Adler 30 Motorhalterung (5).jpg

Adler 30 Motorhalterung (4).jpg

Edited by Constabulary