Cferna27

97 10 wax box question

Friends, is there anyone here who knows how much is a Singer 97 10 ( wax box ) cost?

Mine was damaged during shipping and the shipping company would like to know the cost to replace just the wax box.

The box was ripped of the Head body totally destroying one of the screw mounting holes connected to wax box and the screw on the other side was broken off and is currently stuck in the machine head body.  Other than a fabricator, a new box is the next best thing?

Need advice,

C.

5 hours ago, Cferna27 said:

Other than a fabricator, a new box is the next best thing

What new box? This machine is obsolete. The only way to get an authentic was box would be to remove it from another 97-10.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

What new box? This machine is obsolete. The only way to get an authentic was box would be to remove it from another 97-10.

Yes that's what I ment.  My machine was built in 1942. I was just repeating what the shipping paper work said.

I think you might be able to construct something like it for $200.00.    I would ask some one to send you specs of one they have on their machine.  This is an obsolete machine but a lot of guys still use them.  One the finest machines Singer ever built.  I had one.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

8 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

I think you might be able to construct something like it for $200.00.    I would ask some one to send you specs of one they have on their machine.  This is an obsolete machine but a lot of guys still use them.  One the finest machines Singer ever built.  I had one.

glenn

Thanks Glenn, My machine functions fine as well and i don't think I will need the wax box?  But because shippers damaged it I might as  well file for a claim.

Thank you for your constructive advice,

Carlos

5 hours ago, Cferna27 said:

Thanks Glenn, My machine functions fine as well and i don't think I will need the wax box?

The wax pot was there for linen thread. Before there was bonded nylon/synthetic thread, there was cotton or linen thread. Machines that were built to sew heavy and hard leather used left twist Irish linen thread that needed to be waxed on the way to the needle. The wax had to be in liquid form to avoid clogging the needle, so pre-waxed hand stitching thread wouldn't work. The liquid wax dried in the holes around the lockstitches. This is the same technique that is still used to sew soles onto shoes with curved needle/awl machines and Randall Lockstitch machines.

The bottom line is, if you aren't going to sew with Irish linen thread, you don't need a wax pot on top of the machine! Bonded/pre-lubricated thread is sewn as is.

Cferna27,

My interest in the classic, old Singers is restoration and preservation, and that would be especially so with a fine old 97-10 if I were fortunate enough to own one.  If it were my machine, and it arrived in such condition, I would be sick about it, whether I intended to use the wax box or not.  I would expect it to be repaired to near original, or I would expect one to be fabricated to as near original as practical.......even if it meant making a mold and having one cast!!

Such a shame!  Best of luck with it.

5 hours ago, Evo160K said:

Cferna27,

My interest in the classic, old Singers is restoration and preservation, and that would be especially so with a fine old 97-10 if I were fortunate enough to own one.  If it were my machine, and it arrived in such condition, I would be sick about it, whether I intended to use the wax box or not.  I would expect it to be repaired to near original, or I would expect one to be fabricated to as near original as practical.......even if it meant making a mold and having one cast!!

Such a shame!  Best of luck with it.

Thanks again,  it will be a long process to get it resolved, but i'm I'm enjoying the machine now.  

Best,

Carlos